The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole Rigs For Deep Water.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole Rigs For Deep Water.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDM
Danny

Staffordshire
New Zealand

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit DDM's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add DDM to your friends list
Im after some advice on deep water rigs for pole fishing. Fishing primarily for tench in around 9-12 foot of water.

Is pole fishing water this deep advisable?

What sort of float pattern and size eould be ideal?

What sort of shotting pattern would anyone recommend? I was thinking of fishing perhaps a couple of inches over depth on a lift method. As they can be quite finicky the Tench.

Any advice greatly appreciated as i havnt a clue how to approach it.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

chris w
pc problem solver

Gwent
Wales

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  7:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit chris w's Homepage  Click to see chris w's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add chris w to your friends list
i fished a match in 15ft of water once at a venue called trefaldu

i finished 4th and it was the first time i had ever fished the place.

i used a 2 gram float with most of the weight at 3/4 of the depth i fished 3 inches over depth

with the rest of the weight at this mark.

feeding may be a problem this time of the year so would recommend a bait dropper if you are going to fish on the deck as i reackon most of the other species will be up in the water or at mid depth.

Go to Top of Page

andy phelps
head banger

Germany

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  7:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Send andy phelps an ICQ Message  Click to see andy phelps's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add andy phelps to your friends list
i can strongly recommend the carbos from drennan and the Quads also from drennan, I fish waters deeper than 10 feet nearly all the time here in germany.
use the 1g or 1,5g rig to start with that should be ok if its a still water.
use an ollivet roughly 1 metre away from the hook and some small droppers down to the hook length.

Go to Top of Page

crowder
On Probation :)

United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  7:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see crowder's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add crowder to your friends list
Yeah you dont need to heavy a float depending on the Tow,

i use 1.0G Drennan Roach floats or the Drennan quads on a gravel pit which averages about 10 foot deep. Try to bulk your shot lower than halfway, maybe 3 foot from the hook. this is what i do

Go to Top of Page

lp1886
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  8:26:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lp1886 to your friends list
9-12 foot of water is not 'deep' so yes a pole is advisable.

The general rule to follow is to use 0.1g of float per 1 foot of water for example 0.5g for 5 foot of water etc.

Tench bites tend to be a slight lift and then sailaway at an angle rather than directly down. To show this better a shotting pattern to use would be to have your last dropper set very close to the bottom, either jut touching or an inch off.

As mentioned the initial feed could be introduced via a bait dropper to ensure it gets to the bottom, there will be no end of small fish mid depth intercepting any loose feed in the amount of water you will be fishing into so a bait dropper ensures it gets down where you want it.

I personally use the drennan carp 6 floats which have a rugby ball body shape and i find these fine for a variety of conditions.

If i was targetting tench i would feed plenty of chopped worms, corn and casters.

I have found that a small 'canal' waggler can be the best float to use if fishing very close to lily pads, if the fish should 'take you in them' when using a conventional pole float the bristle can act as a barb when pulling the fish back out and then get caught in the lily pad which 9 times out of 10 will then lead to a float / line breakage or lose the fish. A small waggler will just fold over and not get snagged up.

All the best

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

monster800
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monster800 to your friends list
I fish for tench a lot and the lake is 12ft plus and I use Middy floats, they are a big diamond pattern with side eye and a hole so you can thread the line through instead, which I do cos the tench pull a bit!

I put the olivette 2 ft from the hook, and use 3 No8's as droppers. I place them next to the loop to loop join for the hooklength, slip a clip on plummet over them and plumb up to have all the hooklength on the deck and the shot hovering just over. I start with the shots bunched together, and only spread them if I have to.
I feed with well squeezed balls ( tennis ball )of 4mm pellets with some corn in too, just add a few loose offering of both to spread the area a bit. I then feed a ping pong ball every other put until I get a bite, then a ball per fish. Works for me with 2 ton ups already

Go to Top of Page

DDM
Danny

Staffordshire
New Zealand

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  11:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit DDM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add DDM to your friends list
that's all brillaint, thanks fella's plenty of thinks to think about for me. Thanks alot.

Go to Top of Page

Serious Sam
Seriously Serious

Posted - 24 June 2009 :  11:47:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Serious Sam to your friends list
One of our club lakes is 15 - 20 ft deep at 13 metres and I generally fish with 1 grm float a couple of inches over depth, bulk about 15 inches from the hooks and one or two dropper shot.

The worst thing about fishing that deep is landing the fish, the carp in our lake average 4 - 6lb with plenty of doubles and the odd 20 and once you have a big fish on with the elastic stretched then 15+ foot of rig before the hook you can easily have close to 13 metres between the pole tip and the fish and you end up lifting 13m of pole in the air one handed with the net in the other, can be a painful process

Go to Top of Page

D Wallace
leo

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2009 :  8:20:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D Wallace to your friends list
When fishing in deep water with an olivet, It is advisable to connect the main line to the hook lenth with a small swivel. This will stop line twist as the olivet go's through the water.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

andy phelps
head banger

Germany

Posted - 13 July 2009 :  8:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Send andy phelps an ICQ Message  Click to see andy phelps's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add andy phelps to your friends list
N ever had any problems with line twist on a deep water rig, i fish waters over 12 foot nearly every week.

Go to Top of Page

young un
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 13 July 2009 :  9:09:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add young un to your friends list
Drenna tipo's in 1g 1.5 and 2g depending on tow.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.19 seconds.