The Maggotdrowners Forum - Decent fishing in Oldham????
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Venue Advice and Information
 Decent fishing in Oldham????
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 22 April 2009 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Miggy to your friends list
does anyone know of anywhere thats worth fishing in or around Oldham? i cant drive so have a walk everywhere, any type of venue, any type of fishing, any type of fish, any ideas guys?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Lee B.
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 22 April 2009 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee B.'s Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lee B. to your friends list
Alexander Park in Oldham is day ticket as is Strinsdale res heading towards Austerlands, I think they are owened by Medlock Bridge, the canal from Diggle down to Uppermill is D.T. with Saddleworth anglers but free from Greenfield i think. But check as there have been some changes recently. Queens Park in Rochdale is free, abit far out, not sure what the buses are like to get there.
All have a general mix of fish.

Hope this is some help.

Go to Top of Page

DaveD
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 22 April 2009 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveD to your friends list
Try Bardsley Canal (full of roach, perch, F1's and a few decent carp & Tench) It's just past Smokies on the right as you head towards Ashton and the bus stops just across the road. There's also Sammys Basin (same stocks as the Canal) in Daisy Nook and Crime Lake. All are run by Limehurst and day tickets are available on the bank. Alexandra Park is another as Lee B said. If you can get a bit further out, there's a nice fishery through Woodhouses towards Clayton and again, Day tickets are available o the bank - it's just a bit of a trek if you don't have transport.

Go to Top of Page

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  12:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Miggy to your friends list
aww cheers guys, ive heard that alexandra park in very low at the mo because of work being done and the fishing is great, might try it this at the weekend. thanks again guys

Go to Top of Page

solderblue
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add solderblue to your friends list
hey miggy

u missing salford keys ????????

paul

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

12f2004
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  6:00:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 12f2004 to your friends list
Where abouts in Oldham are you?

Go to Top of Page

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  6:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Miggy to your friends list
im missing living spitting distance from the quays like you might miss your eyes Solderblue lol

Greenacres, huddersfield road up towards the shell garage if you know it 12f2004, u?

Go to Top of Page

12f2004
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  6:46:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 12f2004 to your friends list
Miggy Closest to you is Strinesdale, ran by Medlock as stated above, however you can day ticket it. Not fished it for ages but I here there are some quality fish in there. Tench, roach, bream etc. Feeder & pole will catch. It's about a 10 minute walk. Go to the terminus at waterhead walk the road between the terminus and the post office. take the next right and head to the ressie car park then head off to the left of the water stages and up the path to the water. The local bailif will collect your money, around 4? Good Luck mate

Go to Top of Page

jonny_b1989
Tonys legacy

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 April 2009 :  7:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Send jonny_b1989 an AOL message  Send jonny_b1989 an ICQ Message  Send jonny_b1989 a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add jonny_b1989 to your friends list
Yes strinesdale has a good head of bream. When i was a member of medlock last year i pulled slab after slab out. Theres the fishery at stakehill as well, was part of middleton a.c but gary leigh is in charge now and thats 5 has 5 lakes. Pilsworth in bury but thats a bit of a bus drive. Theres a free pond at juberlee bends in shaw as well going towards milnrow never tried it though as i go further a field to fish.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pegasus
benny

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 24 April 2009 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pegasus to your friends list
what about the canal just down the road from park bakery and across the road from celltech pharmacuticals (may have changed names)the stretch is called daisey nook. and what about the pond on krime estate i think its called sams pond.

Go to Top of Page

nelson66
Life Member

Gt.Manchester

Posted - 24 April 2009 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit nelson66's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nelson66 to your friends list
I think you shouldnt give up on Ogden Res so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 24 April 2009 :  6:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Miggy to your friends list
brilliant! thanks ever so much guys thats more than enough to keep me happy, also i went for a walk around Alexandra park last night and the fish were topping everywhere, 4 on the bank, park security staff on patrol, a cafe, toilets, beautiful place and just seemed really nice. think i might as well join Medlock AC. going to give it a try asap, as well as a few of those mentioned above. and Nelson, im not giving up on it, its just somewhere thats a sod to get to everyday, i want somewhere i can walk to with my gear for a few hours in the evenings or before work and Ogden is just a little too far out for that, its only really worth it to me if im going for the full day

thanks again guys. and if any of you fish Alexandra park lake let me know when your going and i'll see if i can meet up down there. any tips on this water by the way? tactics, hot pegs, stock of fish, baits etc???

Edited by - Miggy on 24 April 2009 7:16:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  7:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Miggy to your friends list
fished Alexandra Park today. caught a bag full of chub to about 12oz. perch to 6oz and a nice tench around the pound mark. fished a close in line at 6m at the very top end of the lake right next to the bridge in about 3ft of water. caught well on mixed maggot, red seemed to be the fav of the day. also let Mrs Miggy have a go and shes hooked! so im well made up, a great day spent in great company...even if the wind was a BITCH!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
wow i ever thought id see the day about fishing venues in oldham?! i was born here and still fsh based out of oldham.

one of my faves is the rochdale canal..couple of sections, near middy Rose of lancaster pub..other section is the castleton stretch across from the all in 1 garden center...had an 18lb pike from down there....!!

i used to fish Alex park, infact i was a youth memeber many many moons ago and fished my first (and only) youth match...coming 3rd overall and grabbing a prize for my efforts. The local thuggery/idiots put me off fishing therem i havent been back to the park in 10 years.

i do remember my pegs though and pulling out an excessive amount of tench..and a couple of carp on my then pride and joy 5m elasticated whip!!!!

i have been a member of Medlock bridges club too, and fished Cargate pool a lot in my old days, pulling out some tench, roach, crucians etc!

Go to Top of Page

jonny_b1989
Tonys legacy

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send jonny_b1989 an AOL message  Send jonny_b1989 an ICQ Message  Send jonny_b1989 a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add jonny_b1989 to your friends list
Love cargate had some nice carp out of there on pole. I was a member a few years ago. Keep meaning to try the matches on a saturday but never seem to be free.

Go to Top of Page

thornhamboy

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit thornhamboy's Homepage  Click to see thornhamboy's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add thornhamboy to your friends list
I think crime pond has been devestated by pollution due to the fire at nearby maple mill resulting in mass fish death?

Go to Top of Page

jonny_b1989
Tonys legacy

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send jonny_b1989 an AOL message  Send jonny_b1989 an ICQ Message  Send jonny_b1989 a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add jonny_b1989 to your friends list
Did you see some of the size of the carp though. It was sickening.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
you should have seen it when Alexandra park overheated/the oxygen failed...years ago:/ that was not a pretty sight, infact another reason why i never fished the 2nd youth match..because it was called off due to the issues above.

Go to Top of Page

Miggy
St Ives Fishing

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  4:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miggy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Miggy to your friends list
well its cracking fishing down there again now soyour arses down there! had a chat with the bailif and he said the biggest fish in there (even though the deepest point is 5ft) is a 25lb carp that no one knew was in there, some one caught it on a feeder a while ago. theres also tench to 6lb+ as well so although the average is about 6-8oz there is a good chance of a monster too

Go to Top of Page

DaveD
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveD to your friends list
If / when we get a hot summers day, walk round past the front of the boat house towards the small "pump house" and you can see shoals of carp there basking.... nobody ever seems to fish on that bank though??? I had a walk round there last year and asked a few of the anglers if there were any carp in it...i was told there "were only a few and they weren't that big"...i estimate there was about 100 Carp all shoaled together averaging between 3-8lb and a couple of good doubles!!

I fished a match on there when it reopened and the majority of catches were small roach and chub but Bob Harrison had caught a few nice bream & Tench to win it so there are some good nets to be had if you land on them.

Go to Top of Page

DaveD
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveD to your friends list
just another quick one...i also fished the park lake every saturday for two years before the fish kill and the redevelopment and never had any trouble at all...there are some dodgy looking charachters but most are interested in what you are doing as opposed to causing trouble.

Since the park re-opened, they have park rangers / security and you seldom see any trouble at all...the only bad point is the number of "Joe Public" walking round but at the end of the day, it is a public park and is there to be used by everyone.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.53 seconds.