The Maggotdrowners Forum - feeder / leger rod
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 feeder / leger rod
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TonyT

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  8:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit TonyT's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add TonyT to your friends list
I am very much a newcomer to fishing (started late in life!)and would like to try feeder/leger fishing and am looking for a reasonably good quality rod that would do as a general all-rounder. Have thought about a Preston 11' carbon active c series feeder (only because the spec sounds good on the ads.) but would really appreciate your views or advice. I hope to fish a variety of venues eg lakes,canals river trent etc. Is there any great difference (rodwise)in feeder or leger fishing? Can I get by with one rod for both? I'd rather buy one good qulity rod than two or three specifics. I realise there's a bit of a compromise - don't think I'll ever be a Specimen hunter! This is my first posting - hope it works and thanks to anyone who may reply. TonyT

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

bream tracker
made in stockport

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  8:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit bream tracker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bream tracker to your friends list
greys barbel is a great all round rod you can get it with 2 3 4 oz tips or 2 4 6oz tips i have both and use it skimmer fishing right through to barbel fishing on the severn

Go to Top of Page

Jessebobs
Steve!

Bristol
Mauritius

My Photo Album

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Jessebobs an AOL message  Click to see Jessebobs's MSN Messenger address  Send Jessebobs a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Jessebobs to your friends list
Welcome to the site TonyT! If you're looking for an all-round tip rod, I don't think you can go far wrong with the Drennan Series 7 12' competition feeder rod. Top quality for less than 80. I bought one last week.

Quote ....

"A really versatile feeder rod with a perfect balance which will enable you to fish for all species
from roach to barbel.
Supplied with 3 tips 1.5,2, and 3 oz
Will cast anything form lightweight bombs to heavy feeders."

Go to Top of Page

bream tracker
made in stockport

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bream tracker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bream tracker to your friends list
oh yes welcome tony

Go to Top of Page

TonyT

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit TonyT's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add TonyT to your friends list
Thanks Breamtracker, are the tips "top sections" - how would I choose which are the best weights for me?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

The_Sogster
Stick and 'Pin

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit The_Sogster's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add The_Sogster to your friends list
Hi Tony, can't comment on the preston rod but there are some favourable reviews on here.
As for the difference between feeder/ ledger rods - they are the same. It's just feeder refers to a feeder (groundbait, maggot, method etc) and ledger refers to just a lead or a bunch of (large) shot.
As you want to cover such a wide variety look for a rod with the most tips that cover a wide range, for example four tips covering 3/4oz, 1oz, 2oz and 3oz. Although this may be difficult to do and some compromise will have to be made.
Generally you will want a lighter tip on the canal (less than 1oz) and heavier tips on the river up to 4oz or more on the tidal Trent.
It may be worth looking at an avon style rod such as the fox duolite, this will give you the lighter tips for canal and general river work with a straight top which can be used for heavier ledger fishing on the Trent.

See here .

For 50 you can't go wrong if you're not after giants or wanting to lob 8oz feeders.

Edited by - The_Sogster on 08 February 2009 9:18:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

bream tracker
made in stockport

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit bream tracker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bream tracker to your friends list
no mate you have 2 top sections one is for tipping and the other is a 1.75 float top,tony it all depends how fast the river is in the section you fish,as i remember the trent is slowish so i think 4oz will be plenty,but if it runs fast or want to do a fair bit of carp feeder fishing you might be better with the 6 oz rod. these are about 100 each

Go to Top of Page

fredradac
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit fredradac's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fredradac to your friends list
Hi Tony - IMHO you cannot beat Shakespeare rods as regards value for money. I use/abuse 2 of their heavy feeder rods for all my river feeder fishing.

Go to Top of Page

TonyT

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit TonyT's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add TonyT to your friends list
Thanks Sogster. Cheers, TonyT.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

adrian jonh tas
Life Member

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  9:24:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adrian jonh tas to your friends list
welcome to the site mate have to say i use a drennan feeder rod and think they have one of the best actions around and are very forgiving when fish is under the rod tip

Go to Top of Page

The_Sogster
Stick and 'Pin

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  10:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit The_Sogster's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add The_Sogster to your friends list
No probs Tony.
If you decide to go down the avon rod style route have a look at the John Wilson Avon Quiver, reasonably priced and one of the best selling rods of all time.

Alternatively if you go down the pure tip rod route it may be worth looking at a 'multi range' feeder rod these generally have an extra or 'dolly' section which lengthen/ shorten the rod by a foot/ two feet great for tight swims or when you need the extra distance on a wide river. I personally use a Shimano Technium multirange medium feeder 11' to 13' with 1,2 and 3oz tips for most of my feeder work. I have used it with feeders up to 5oz on the tidal Trent (casting around halfway) - but I wouldn't like to risk it like that every day.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 08 February 2009 :  10:11:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
tony i use the 11.6 preston carbon active ,its different to all the other feeder rods mentioned,it does not have small quivers in stead it comes with three full size top sections they are numbered this makes it a far smoother rod than they others i wouldnt part with mine

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 09 February 2009 :  12:50:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list
Tony if you're looking at spending over a hundred quid don't limit yourself to an 11ft rod. Look at the Shakespeare Superteam 11/12/13ft.

It's a multi length rod with three butt sections which will cover everything from skimmers and roach to bagging on commercials. It has a parabolic action and I use it for all my bream and commercial work including fishing the method.

I also use it on the rivers when I don't need more than 1.5 - 2oz to hold, (you are limited by the tips as they are too sensitive and forgiving for heavy flows).

Another good rod is the MAP Parabolix System which is very similar.

See this link for the Superteam
http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatal...hfeeder.html

They were offering a 10% discount on all products a while ago so it may be worth ringing and asking for their best price

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Genus9
Life Member

Northamptonshire

Posted - 09 February 2009 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Genus9 to your friends list
Hi Mate and welcome,

As Stikflote has said the Carbonactive range a very versatile, they are'nt cheap but do everything required,

The 11'6" is a well designed rod that comes with 3 tips and has a lovely action and will handle everything that You hook,

All the Preston rods are excellent imo and do the job intended for example I use the 10ft wand at Decoy this time of the Year and it handles 3lb F1's with no probs,

To be honest, although they are a very good rod I personally would'nt go for a Barbel/Avon rod if You're doing canals/rivers as they are a bit too heavy, I only use mine for floods/barbel and bagging wag as they usually start at 1.25lb test curve and a tad stiff for all round work,

Anyway Good luck with Your search,

Go to Top of Page

tag
Life Member

Site Supporter

Yorkshire

Posted - 09 February 2009 :  09:51:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tag to your friends list
Have a look at the Drennan Series 7 Combo Feeder rod 9'6 to 11'0.
I bought one last year and it's the best rod I've ever had.
Lovely through action keeps you really in touch with the fish, a pleasure to use, and top value at about 80.

Go to Top of Page

Vince H

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 March 2009 :  6:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vince H's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Vince H to your friends list
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of getting the Shakespeare Superteam Feeder, and was wondering what size of fish could potentially be caught with this rod?

Vince

Go to Top of Page

mike strutter
Life Member

Essex
England

Posted - 03 March 2009 :  9:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike strutter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add mike strutter to your friends list
i use the aforementioned rod for breaming and commercial carping and have landed fish to 14lb with ease, it has a lovely action , i rate it very highly, not sure about fishing the trent with it though - not sure you can get a feeder rod that would be suitable for heavy river fishing and tipping on canals ,

cheers mike

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Vince H

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 March 2009 :  07:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vince H's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Vince H to your friends list
Thanks Mike, Sounds like I need to go and have a look at one in the shops. What rod would you suggest for medium to heavy river fishing, and what do you mean by 'tipping on canals'?

Vince

Go to Top of Page

mike strutter
Life Member

Essex
England

Posted - 04 March 2009 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike strutter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add mike strutter to your friends list
by tipping i mean quivertipping, shakespeare do a heavy feeder rod called a mach 3 ugly in 12 or 13ft for around 65, or a barbel rod might do the trick for rivers, i mostly fish lakes (not really any canals/rivers in my area) so the superteam feeder at 11 and 12ft covers most of my feeder fishing. well worth taking a look at it - i wouldnt swap it for any other feeder rod

cheers mike

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.52 seconds.