The Maggotdrowners Forum - the cone method
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 the cone method
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil123
Life Member

Shropshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  4:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit neil123's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add neil123 to your friends list
this was posted on another site i use, it looks good so i'll share it. do you think it would work lowerd slowly on the pole.

I am sure there are a few people out there that don't know what the 'cone' is and would like to know so here it is. It is used in the winter when you don't want to feed very much at all but want to put a little bait around the hook bait. It is a substitute for a tiny pva bag. In my view it is better as you can use it in the wet with wet hands etc. In easy steps what you do is :-

1. Take a pole bung that fits a number 3 section or the bottom of a carp top 2, a hack saw or craft knife and cut off the end that you attach the elastic to. You need to cut the cone and leave the end wide enough to get the bait you wish to use through it for reasons you will see later. It can be used with luncheon meat, corn or mini boilies.
2. Decide how much pellet you wish to feed and cut the rest of the bung off to an appropriate length. I have lots of different sizes (lengths and diameters) from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches.

To use the cone, firstly you need to soak some micro pellets for between 1 1/2 minutes and 2 minutes then drain all the water off. I use the Skrettings micro pellets that are about 2mm. You need to let them stand for 10 mins before use.
1. Fill the cone with pellets and push them really firmly, ram them down in fact, onto a hard surface.
2. Take a baiting needle and push it through the cone from the thin end to the fat end. Again use a solid surface in order that you don't stab yourself with the baiting needle!
3. Push the baiting needle through so that it is proud of the wide end of the cone and can take a loop on your hooklength.
4. Take a hook length with a hair rig on it already baited with your preferred bait for the day and a loop at the end. You can use any length of hook length you wish.
5. Catch the loop onto the baiting needle and pull it back through the cone so that the loop and a length of hooklength comes through.
6. Squash the pellets in the cone again in case they have loosened a bit, then loosen the cone of pellets by pushing them up at the narrow end of the cone. Don't pull them right out.
7. Put your fingers over the thin end of the cone with the line coming out and slowly pull the hook into the pellets. It should disappear into the pellets along with some of the hair until the bait is firmly snugged up to the pellets.
8. Push the hook bait and the pellets that will be stuck together in a cone shape out of the cone.
9. Attach the hooklength to your mainline. I use a Korum quick change feeder bead.

I have 2 cones set up on hook lengths before the start of the match and make another up as soon as I have retrieved the first cast. The tackle is just a straight bomb on a running rig. I am afraid it is very much a waiting game and I wouldn't have more than 2 casts an hour unless I have a bite. The whole point is that you don't want to feed too much.

photo's below (click the link)

http://gs101.photobucket.com/groups...tion=reverse

Edited by - neil123 on 07 February 2009 4:39:43 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

adrian jonh tas
Life Member

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  5:39:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adrian jonh tas to your friends list
do you get a flake with that lol

Go to Top of Page

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  6:27:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by adrian jonh tas

do you get a flake with that lol

Only if you ask for a 99

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  6:34:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list
It's not new. Andy Findlay is the man credited with the invention.

To be honest having tried both after the last couple of years the teabag is better for me.

Go to Top of Page

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  8:20:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
Icant get a bite on teabags ,i can on a coffee bean

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

me
Life Member

Midlands West
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 07 February 2009 :  10:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see me's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add me to your friends list
the cheapest way to get you cones to do this is get to know a d******or, plumber, sealant man (who still have jobs) and ask them for some caulk and silicon nozzels. The caulk ones are realy wide and the silicon ones are thin and both make brilliant cones to the size you want. Any of the above trades men will have loads of these nozzels knocking about so will let you have a hand full free to save you having to buy pole bungs to cut up.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 09 February 2009 :  02:50:33 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list
Good post Neil as it can be a devastating method especially when it's hard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.31 seconds.