The Maggotdrowners Forum - Float making
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Float making
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Top Bagger to your friends list
Hi
started making a few of my own wagglers and pole floats but wanted to know wot is the best to seal the float
is it dope? wanted like a good, waterproof, matt finish
Also does anyone know the best way to make the floats arrow straight as i am using a drill and sandpaper at the moment but cannot get them to come out straight
Does anyone else make floats and they come out alright??
if any has got any pics of the making process, i would be extremely grateful
Thanks in advance
Jamie

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Chavender
Steve

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chavender's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Chavender to your friends list
this might help
http://anglerstalk.yuku.com/topic/2059

Go to Top of Page

Chavender
Steve

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  2:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chavender's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Chavender to your friends list
quote :
Also does anyone know the best way to make the floats arrow straight as i am using a drill and sandpaper at the moment but cannot get them to come out straight

do you mean a quill stem ? (feather!) ?

or the shank (wagglers strait body) ?

Go to Top of Page

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
how do u make pole floats arrow straight as the tips and the stem never seem to line up on mine

Go to Top of Page

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  2:47:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
thanks for the link chavender but have u made any pole floats??

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

gazmalman
malmanfloats.com

Durham
Heard Island & Mcdonald Islands

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  3:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit gazmalman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add gazmalman to your friends list
The only answer is to buy or build a lathe im afraid, and even then it will take you sometime to work out how to do it, the single hardest thing about pole float manufacture by a mile believe me.

Go to Top of Page

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
have u got any pics of ur lathe and float making process gaz please? send through pm if u like
wot would u coat the floats with? dope??
thanks
Jamie

Go to Top of Page

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  5:29:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list
best book on the subject is

The Float Makers Manual, by Bill Watson.
published by Earnest Benn,25 new street square, london,in 1978.

ISBN 0-510-22524-1
ISBN 0-510-22522-5pbk

try amazon or ebay

anything you need to know about making traditional floats, loads of piccys
materials,tools,construction,painting/sealing,etc

as Gaz says, its not as easy as you would expect,your gonna throw some right wobbles until you figure it out,

look around Boot fairs for one of the old black and decker drill lathes, and a drill with multi speeds.

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
www.hillbillyfloats.co.uk
www.marukyu.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

paul14
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul14 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Top Bagger

how do u make pole floats arrow straight as the tips and the stem never seem to line up on mine
ive been down that road and you cant get drilled balsa any where.ive been searching high and low for months,i think nelsons got more chance of getting his eye back...paul

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

gazmalman
malmanfloats.com

Durham
Heard Island & Mcdonald Islands

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit gazmalman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add gazmalman to your friends list
Like mick says get to a car boot and get a drill lathe or ebay for a small cheap mini-engineers lathe then prepare to have your head done in for a couple of years!

Finishing- you want sanding sealer, a coat of that then sand down, paint with tamyia acrylic and finish with a yacht varnish. Not exactly how i do it but this will give you a nice finish if you are brush painting.

Go to Top of Page

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  7:24:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
theres a wood lathe in the classifieds 110

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  8:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
mate ive been designing and making my own floats for years, simply because you cant always get what you need from the tackle shop.

I seal them with yacht varnish, and paint over with odd's and ends paint you can buy from any hobby store.

You only need a lathe if your looking for a professional finsh you need to sell float on. But to use the words of a very sucesssful and inovative fisherman "fish dont like flaats,they are are not intererested in floats or what they look like, so why dont you worry more about how it floats thier dinner down to them rather than how it looks in your box!" He was right. The old saying float catch anglers and not fish comes to mind.

Go to Top of Page

Scott.T
Scott.T

Cumbria
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 January 2009 :  9:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott.T's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Scott.T to your friends list
Have a look at this site, that might help you.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/C...uilding.html

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  07:51:27 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
Thanks fior the replies everyone but how do u line up the stem and bristle wen makin pole floats?
had a go with an old lathe my dad made for me but still cant get them right??
Any help appreciated

Go to Top of Page

rourke7719
Big Stu

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit rourke7719's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add rourke7719 to your friends list
I tried to make my own a while ago, by the time I had bought the materials I needed and tools, bearing in mind I never got it right first time, it ended up costing just as much as it did to buy them. It takes patience and practice to get a good float imo and I would just rather get out there fishing, so I stopped making and started buying again

Go to Top of Page

jonesr
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  12:50:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jonesr to your friends list
The one thing you must have is a slow speed drill.It's the speed that throws it out of alignment!

Ron J

Go to Top of Page

BARRYBLOKE
Account Locked

United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BARRYBLOKE to your friends list
Elderberry pith is far easier to work with than balsa and free.

I no longer make pole floats. Theres so many varied patterns and extremely good quality floats going silly cheap on Ebay that its pretty pointless.
When I did used to make them I would drill slowly and gently with sharpened cane from both sides (not trying to get a straight single hole from one side to the other)and then use a single peice of carbon or cane to go straight through.
For a filler and sealer use matt varnish and mix in talcom powder.

Try Dermots Dibbers. I generally get around half a dozen floats off him from a fiver and his quality and choice is absolutely spot on.
My winder trays are full of his floats.
Unless you have a massive burning desire to produce your own floats its a damn sight cheaper and quicker than buying lathes etc.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  3:41:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
whos dermots dibbers? is there a website

Go to Top of Page

BARRYBLOKE
Account Locked

United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BARRYBLOKE to your friends list
dermottsdibbers@hotmail.com

There you go mate.Contact him and he will send you a list and prices.
The guys brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

Top Bagger
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  3:57:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Top Bagger to your friends list
Thanks mate

Go to Top of Page

Craigo
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2009 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Craigo to your friends list
bloke in sheffield used to cover float bodies in a thin coat of araldite and then wet his fingers and smooth it out over the body - gave a good finish if that helps

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.11 seconds.