The Maggotdrowners Forum - Doubled up solid elastic my way.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Doubled up solid elastic my way.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  12:24:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sackup to your friends list
Just a post on how i fit a doubled up solid elastic some may do it differant but this way i find works the best for me.

[b]1. First I unwind the elastic from its winder and post one end of the elastic through the connecter.

[b]2. Then get the two loose ends of the elastic together.

[b]3. Post both ends of the elastic through the bottom part of the connecter and push it up to the top.

[b]4. Now simply clip the bottom of the connecter on to the top of the connecter (DO NOT TIE A NOT) it won’t move once clipped in place.

[b]5. Now thread both ends of the elastic through the top kit so they come out of the bottom.

[b]6. Now tie both ends of the elastic together with a simple double over hand not.

[b]7. Trim of the tag ends.

[b]8. Wrap it around the winder bung set it not to tight and you’re away.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

bibbm002
Life Member

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit bibbm002's Homepage  Click to see bibbm002's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add bibbm002 to your friends list
Cheers avanti, much easy to follow by the pictures :D thanks again

Go to Top of Page

big stoo
hello

Lincolnshire
England

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit big stoo's Homepage  Send big stoo an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add big stoo to your friends list
fantastic post avanti, any chance of one on how to use a slammo

Go to Top of Page

alfie
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alfie to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by big stoo

fantastic post avanti, any chance of one on how to use a slammo

put the slammo down the fishes mouth as far as it will go then just a quick push down and your hook should come out

Go to Top of Page

rdoherty
Happily Blanking!

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  1:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit rdoherty's Homepage  Click to see rdoherty's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add rdoherty to your friends list
Thanks for this. What are the advantages of doubled up elastic over solids/latex/hollow?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Serious Sam
Seriously Serious

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Serious Sam to your friends list
Ah, cool - that's exactly what I was planning to do but it's always re-assuring to have it confirmed by someone that knows for sure.

Go to Top of Page

The Big Fella
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  3:43:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Big Fella to your friends list
hi,

quote :
Thanks for this. What are the advantages of doubled up elastic over solids/latex/hollow?

My thoughts exactly.....

I can understand the Mulletto system and principle where a small fish pulls against the lower diameter elastic and that cushions from hook pulls, yet if a bigger fish is hooked the secondary elastic comes into play and that also helps play the fish out!

However surely if you set this elastic slack for say skimmers if you get a bigger fish it will just keep on going.....?

Alternatively you set it tighter and then even though its doubled up if its set tighter its gonna bump fish and it would not be as good as a single elastic chosen for the type and size of fish your targeting?

So in a nutshell a doubled up 8 elastic from stonfo/dacron to pole bung set loose aint going to be any good for carp surely?

It makes more sense if the loop was only at the bung end and say a max of 8 or 10 inches long. This way the single elastic at say 8 is used for a skimmer as it only pulls out the top 6-12 inches, yet if a carp is hooked and hares off the double part at the bung comes into play!!

I PERSONALLY CANT SEE THE LOGIC TO THIS - Please help?

Go to Top of Page

fishdogmick
catch alot

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishdogmick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishdogmick to your friends list
big fella if you read the other thread on this subjrct steve ringer as wrote his thoughts on this subject .

http://kizzyenglishbullterrier.com/.
Go to Top of Page

Billynomates
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Billynomates's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Billynomates to your friends list
Hi Avanti,
Great post, I do it exactly the same as you, I have been using doubled elastic for about a year in sizes 4, 6 & 8. I have had great results

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  6:57:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
billynomates,
i ve spent a long time pulling my hair out but number 8 will not go thru my top kits so yours must really cut well back ,the elastic i was useing i thought was a 6 was in fact 8

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

hempy
Alan

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hempy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hempy to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by fishdogmick

big fella if you read the other thread on this subjrct steve ringer as wrote his thoughts on this subject .

What were his thoughts ???? I like the big fella cannot understand the advantage of doubled laggy. A doubled 6 will be stronger than a single 6 so why not just fit a single 8 or 10 ??

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  7:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by hempy

quote :
Originally posted by fishdogmick

What were his thoughts ???? I like the big fella cannot understand the advantage of doubled laggy. A doubled 6 will be stronger than a single 6 so why not just fit a single 8 or 10 ??

because they are softer at first and get sronger as they are pulled out, like some of the mickey mouse laccys on the market but with out the draw backs like stupid prices and weight!

Edited by - daniel121 on 20 November 2008 7:14:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

hempy
Alan

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hempy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hempy to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by daniel121

because they are softer at first and get sronger as they are pulled out, like some of the mickey mouse laccys on the market but with out the draw backs like stupid prices and weight!

Now you have got me confused. Surly any elastic is softer at first and progressivley gets stonger until it bottoms out, by doubling it you must double its properties throughout its whole stretch pattern both at its softest and its strongest. To put it simply if it takes 1lb to pull out 1 foot of single elastic then if you double it then it will take 2 lb to pull out 1 foo, thats as i see it anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
Not really - hollow is progressive compared to solid, which stretches evenly under a constant pressure then bottoms out. Allegedly.

Go to Top of Page

The Big Fella
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  7:37:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Big Fella to your friends list
Im bemused!

I still cant fathom out how it works logically?

Liek i say if it was looped just for a small element at the base I can just about see it....

Go to Top of Page

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
I'm not sure why it works either, but it does. Maybe its less surface area touching the pole sides for a given amount of pull from the laccy, reducing friction?

Try it & you'll see the difference.

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 20 November 2008 :  9:46:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Now then, now then
All we know is that its better on the strike resulting in less bumped fish also if you play the fish correct then you will get it in IE using differand angles in which you point the pole when playing a big fish, ive also found with the doubled up elastic you can lock it slightly to ease that big run by the fish. As for hollow elastic no ones saying doubled is better that hollow or its going to outfish hollow in anyway were just saying its good and it works hollow has its problems to yes it goes for miles but it doesnt mean it cant bottom out ive lost many fish on hollow by getting snaped when its bottomed out we all know fish that go like trains are just what i call red hydro fish thats the only thing that can stop them. So anyway to the point no one knows why or how it works all we know is that it does so if your not sure PLEASE try it if your not bothered about it then dont try it im sure all the guys that are using it will enjoy there £8 saving.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 21 November 2008 :  8:46:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list
As black hydro has been in my topkits for four years how does solid elastic work out cheaper.

I am knocking any of the methods but solid elastics need to be replaced on a regular basis whilst hydro is the duracell of the elastic world

Go to Top of Page

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 21 November 2008 :  11:09:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
Avanti, i double my elastic pushed it thru bottom of connector then put it thru top of stonfo put it over and pulled it tight ,that way if needed i can change my ston fo with out taking elastic out

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

grumpybum
Life Member

Azerbaijan

Posted - 22 November 2008 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit grumpybum's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add grumpybum to your friends list
Its not really doubled laccy is it? If it was it would be tied at both ends.

I can also envisage a problem that may occur. If the laccy slipped through the ston flo, then the 2 lengths of laccy would be under unequal tension. In fact if the stonflo isnt exactly centered this unequal tension would be present all the time.

Go to Top of Page

carpmagic
Life Member

Posted - 22 November 2008 :  12:16:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carpmagic to your friends list
It amazes me how many people just want to pick holes in something without trying it! Let me just say one thing, nobody is forcing anyone to try it. I use it and personally think its great, i have had no problems whatsoever. Alan Scotthorne uses it as he put me onto it and loves it. As far as im concerned this is my last post on the subject.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.11 seconds.