The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 14.)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 14.)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 22 August 2003 :  8:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Peter to your friends list

Little did Malc realise what he was starting when he posted the initial post on this topic back in January 2002.
So yet again it's time for the start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 14)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 now add up to 1300+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

So if you're new, bored or just have an hour or eight spare, take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Right carry on lads & lasses.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 22 August 2003 :  9:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Hartleylands Farm.
Friday 22nd.

Well a day off today and it seemed a shame to waste it,so after dropping Maria at work it was off down to Hartleylands Farm near Cranbrook in Kent.

The object of the exercise was to try out one of the new lakes on the complex as our club have a match on there in the near future. Nick's Lake is the largest of the three new lakes and has been stocked with small common, mirror and ghost carp between 8oz and 1.5lb, a few larger specimens up to 5lb and some good roach and skimmers.
Acting on advice recieved from Vince the Bailiff i headed to a peg with the wind blowing into it,and set up a couple of rigs to fish expanda pellet.Owing to the recent weather the water level on this lake is about a foot down which left me with about 2 feet of water at the top of the shelf, and 3 at the bottom of it.
Things were slow at the start,but after a chat with Paul (the owner) and a bit of fine tuning of rigs and feeding i was soon catching a steady stream of small stockies.

These fish are absolutly mint and photo's can't really convey just how plump they are.
By 1pm i must have had about 40lbs,and decided to stop and spend the afternoon on Samson pond as i had never fished it before.

Samson pond has only 7 pegs and contains carp to double figures although most are 1-3lb, lots of tench between 12oz to 2.5lb, a good number of roach, skimmers, perch and gudgeon.

Setting up in a corner peg by the car park i set up 3 lines to rotate,a bush across at 8mtrs, the margin to the left and a bush to my right,feeding hemp and small expandas and fishing 6mm expandas on the hook.

A Pristine Roach.

A Darker Common.

Well from the first put in it was almost non stop. Carp to about 4lbs , tench and roach all getting in on the act.The carp were a curious mix from classic golden tones to all shades, some being almost black.all being fighting fit and in great condition.

Last one of the day.

4.30pm and one last cast produced a last cracking common,and the fish were still feeding as i packed up.

Still feeding.

Thanks to Vince and Paul for the tips and advice,if you're in the area do yourself a favour and pay Hartleylands a visit,you won't regret it.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  01:16:42 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

quote:
Originally posted by peter

Little did Malc realise what he was starting when he posted the initial post on this topic back in January 2002.

Not wrong there Peter.

Good report on a good days fishing.

RED WASI'VE STARTED CATCHING NOW HE'S GONE..!!

100lb+ JINX CLUB MEMBER x 14
200lb+ ROLFS CLUB MEMBER x 11
MINXED 10 Times From 100+ Outtings

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  12:05:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

great report & pictures Peter,

quote> Little did Malc realise what he was starting when he posted the initial post on this topic back in January 2002<

Malc that must have been one of the best posts ever,

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

fat willy

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 24 August 2003 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit fat willy's Homepage  Click to see fat willy's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add fat willy to your friends list

Kingstanding i had loads

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 24 August 2003 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

you can never be bored on this thread,thanks Malc,nice pics Peter,hello fatwilly thats a good fish,hope you injoy it on here??could do with a bit more of a story,??? try and write a bit like our Peter,great reports.

Commonsense ain´t that common,is it?´

Go to Top of Page

Vince G
Hop Along

Kent
England

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  11:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vince G's Homepage  Click to see Vince G's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Vince G to your friends list

Glad you enjoyed your day, and thanks for a super report.

One thing not mentioned is that there are some cracking Perch in Samson Pond which are rarely fished for. I've had 6 over the last few months all in excess of 2lbs 8ozs. The largest went 3lb 9ozs. All were caught on half lobworm, the biggest problem is stopping the numerous Carp and Tench taking the hookbait.

Pay the fishery a visit, it really is worth the time and effort, beautiful, peaceful surroundings and great fishing, what more could you wish for.

Vince

Edited by - Vince G on 25 August 2003 11:34:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

mookie
mookie

Durham
England

Posted - 31 August 2003 :  02:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit mookie's Homepage  Click to see mookie's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mookie to your friends list

Date - 30th Aug 2003
Venue - River Tees Broken scar Darlington
Weather - Calm clear cool...5c night fishing 7.30pm till 12 midnight.

Well then lads..what can l say....back to the river at last....on the spur of the moment l went to my fave swim on the Tees...
Loaded with meat and cheese..

As l got a new reel from my beloved Okuma interceptor l wanted to try it out and it didnt let me down...l loaded it with 10lb maxima and had my usual 8lb hooklink hair rig of course with a size 4 raptor hook...baited it with punched meat ...with the larger sized punch from Korum...
And at approx 8.30pm l had a small tap which l hit....and l held on..and on...for 10mins..then l saw it...yes yes yes a barbel and when l netted it l weighed her and it was a new PB just under a double and l had a witness who weighed it as well 9 and 3 quarters ...what a fish and here she or he is...sorry bout the red eye...

What a fish l was chuffed to bits....it really made amends for that pathetic display at Woodlands....

As its 2.20am now l wont go any further but just to tell you l lost another barbel as well tonight..hook gave way..l think the line must have got behind the eye of the hook and the knotless knot gave way under the pressure....

But nevermind...a new PB Tees barbel for me...

Thats heaven to me...sheer magic...!!!!

Cheers all...

MOOKSTER...

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 31 August 2003 :  11:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Weekend at Hartleylands
30th - 31st August.

Well this weekend saw me spending a good part of my time at Hartleylands Fishery.
Saturday was at the invitation of Dave (Dave the Fish), His club Marsh AC had booked the Reservoir for one of their club matches and as all the pegs weren't taken, Steve (beebs) Jason (NofinPhish) and Myself recieved an invitation to join them.
Assembling in the Carpark for an 8.30am draw, it was nice to meet John (tutu) and Colin who had accompanied Dave to the Welsh Fish-in. Also present,though in a working capacity was Vince (vg1037) the Bailiff at Hartleylands.

I drew in the high 30's and arrived at my swim to find the wind blowing in my face and the only shady peg on the whole fishery,so while others sat around in tee shirts & shorts, I was in a bib & brace and a fleece (M/D's of course )
I started on the poleline at about 10mtrs fishing pellet and managed to winkle out 6 skimmers and a small carp before the wind made presentation too awkward. Had I not been a guest I would have gone straight onto the method feeder as this is a banker for a few carp,but sitting in my carryall was a ball of paste.
Now paste fishing is not one of my strengths,but having read a few of Malc's exploits, it's a bait i'm determined to get to grips with,so it was out with the margin pole,tie up a couple of rigs and lets have a go.

Paste in the margin.......

Well lets just say that it was fun,trying to condition myself not to strike every dip and tremor of the float, and towards the end of the afternoon having tried endless variations of rigs I felt as if i was coming to terms with it and a few decent fish had ended up in the net.

4pm and time for the weigh in and with Vince in charge we worked our way around.
Dave had set the pace with a 40lb bag,with everyone having caught a few.

Nice one for Dave........

Colin put just over 51lbs on the scales all caught on the Method,which was to prove the winning weight. Steve had contented himself with using the day to practice his silver fish approach in readiness for the intersite match in a couple of weeks,and definatley caught more fish than anyone for a bag in the teens.

The Weigh-in......

Jason proved to be the dark horse,in what he professed to be his first ever fishing match, and duly put 49lbs on the scales for 2nd place. Well done Jason (I may have to rethink the team ).
Last but one to weigh was me and i was pleasantly surprised to see the needle creep round to 47lbs,nearly all paste caught.

So thanks to Dave and the lads of Marsh AC for a very pleasant day as their guest,i hope you enjoyed yourselves, I certainly did.

So Sunday morning and i'm in the Carpark again, this time for a Hawthorne AC match on Nicks Lake. Nicks is one of 3 new lakes that have just been opened at Hartleylands and was only stocked with fingerling carp last November,but already these fish weigh around 6ozs.

A low turnout of only 15 anglers meant that we only put the even pegs in the draw to give everyone a bit of room,and peg 10 was mine,It was flat calm as we set up but as soon as the whistle blew so did the wind.

Peg 10..........

Now Vince had warned me that the fish tend to follow the wind,so you can imagine my joy to find the wind blowing from behind me and blowing my fish away.
I wish i could say that i fished a blinder,but i wasted far too much time on a pellet line scratching for bites.I finally started to get a few at 12mtrs to maggot,but it was to little to late. I managed to put 15lbs 6ozs on the scales for 6th, but only 17lbs was needed for 2nd.At least i got another 3 points for the fishing race,having caught a few small ghosties.

Mint little Ghostie....

Mike Vincent ran away with it, with 28lbs 4ozs for 1st. Everyone caught though and in a couple of seasons time this is going to be an awesome match venue.

So that's my weekend, 1 fishery but two very different lakes,and mixed fortunes.
Still beats d******ing though.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

dave the fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  12:18:33 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave the fish to your friends list

Nice report Peter.
I am glad you had a good time I think everyone did. You probably noticed we are not match anglers but just like to get together for a good day out. Even so the total weight was 432lb from 18 anglers an average of 24lb each.
What a good fishery Hartleylands is from small ponds to 30 peg match lakes, all with exceptionally good fish in. The new lakes will be fantastic when they mature a bit.
We will certainly be going back again next year.

Dave

Grandad Dave

JINX Squad member 2007 to 2015
Rolfs 100lb+ club member
100+ JINX Club member
MDs Rolfs Pairs Champions 2009
MDS Southern Pairs Champions 2008

Go to Top of Page

Beebs
Life Member

Berkshire
England

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  01:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beebs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Beebs to your friends list

I would like to add my thanks to Dave the Fish for my invite, it was a cracking day out and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's always good to meet up with some of you clowns and I've met quite a few of you in the last couple of weeks, but also managed to keep in touch with some of you as well and this will only increase in the build up to the finale of the Intersite challenge.

Like I said to Peter on Sunday, the ones who take it too seriously are the people who will get the least from it. I think MD's will get the most, 'cos it doesn't matter if we win or lose, it's the craic that matters, but since we're winning at the moment, maybe we're not too bad at catching fish as well as being a load of boneheads!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

NoFinPhish
Mighty Cat Slayer

Hampshire
England

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  09:17:43 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NoFinPhish to your friends list

Thanks again for the invite Dave. I had the most fun I've had in ages.

Just goes to prove you don't need one of those dodgy pole things to be competitive (just heaps of beginners luck)

And I caught a gudgeon for the fishing race!

Looking forward to doing it again soon.

Br
Jason

Go to Top of Page

Triturus
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 02 September 2003 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Triturus's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Triturus to your friends list

02/09/03
Just spent the day just below Gunthorpe Weir on the Trent, hoping to get a barble just like Mookies.
River looked spot-on, fast shallow with gravelley bottom, but weather very bright and sunny. Fished large halibut pellets on the hair and 4mm in the feeder for 5 straight hours, not a touch. Ray was fishing meat just below me he didn't have a touch either. Both had to resort to maggot to get any bites at all, Ray managed about a pound of small dace, chublets and perch. I totalled 2 perch from 3 bites in consecutive casts when the sun went in after 6 hours on the bank. Packed up after 8 straight hours, river still looked spot-on.

Neil

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mookie
mookie

Durham
England

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mookie's Homepage  Click to see mookie's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mookie to your friends list

Date - 6th September 2003
Venue - River Swale Cundall Lodge Farm day ticket water.
Weather - Warm when we got there around 18c but at night it was very cold for time of year 2c...

Hi all -- About 3 weeks ago l was talking to my good friend and fellow md John Cunningham < JC >..he was talking about having a night session on the River Swale..so we decided this weekend would be good to have a bash at the swales barbus...
John came about 2.30pm to collect me from Darlington...we loaded up my gear and off we went, didnt take long about 30mins to get there and after John had already paid in advance for day ticket, we set about going through the 4 gates to get to the river, hell was it low it does need water like most rivers...
Well after a look about we decided on a stretch at the far end of the venue which had over hanging willows etc on the far bank, and it looked quite deep in places...

Heres the swim we picked..
Well as l have only fished it years ago l decided to use my WMAC Power feeder with the Power tip..but the flow was mimimal l could have gone lighter but stuck with it..
Reel line was 10lb with a 1oz bomb with a 10lb dacron hooklink with hair rig and size 6 barbless hook...meat as bait..

After a while John thought to himself we had picked the wrong swim, due to lack of bites and action......but in a instant l looked round to see my tip wrap round..and l was hanging on for dear life...the fish was keeping low and deep...classic barbel tactics..and it was a barbel and looked a good one on the way it dived deep and tried to get to the far willows....but l managed to tame the beast after 5 mins and she came to the net....and her she is...

We weighed and put her back to swim and fight another day
8lb 6oz
Considering thats my first ever fish from the Swale, l was well chuffed with myself...
This barbel fishing is a drug...gets to you...and you love it...

Meanwhile John who was fishing next to me, was wanting to try out my rigs, so l gave him one to try and improve his luck...he hadnt had a bite all session....but one flick of his rod...he caught a Yellow spotted Goat Willow......so l had to make a new rig for him...

It was strange l had a few small taps and other indications but that was the last of the action....the nightime proved very poor ...weactually tried to sleep in his brollywrap about 11.30ish it was funny though as we tried to sleep on a slight incline l was slideing down the bank everytime time so we had to move to the flat bank at the top..
but the weather had turned from near tropical warm conditions to harsh early winter at night...we were freezing to say the least, l got about 30mins sleep all nite, John had about the same...

We woke to find mist and condensation everywhere....very cold...had to warm up in the car..we had a hour or so ..before we packed up at first light to head home...l was still getting sighs of life...but the cold got to us...

Anyway l was happy to catch my first swale barbus, had great company in JC......many thanks mate..we will do it again sometime..!!!

Cheers and tightlines all....

MOOKSTER...

(Just reduced your photo sizes Ian - Dave)

Go to Top of Page

Apache
Life Member

Berkshire
England

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Apache's Homepage  Click to see Apache's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Apache to your friends list

well done mookie mate, nice fish

Tight Lines,
Matt

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com
PinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  3:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Nice one Mook

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  5:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Yeap Nice one Mookie

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mookie
mookie

Durham
England

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mookie's Homepage  Click to see mookie's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mookie to your friends list

Cheers all l am looking forward to my trip to the Severn on friday for 3 days.....
Then l will be home for a while till the new arrival is born and is settled down....

Cheers

MOOKSTER..

Go to Top of Page

jc

Yorkshire

Posted - 07 September 2003 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jc's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jc to your friends list

Good write up mookie! You forgot to mention the three 14 pounders I dreamt I caught in the 30 minutes sleep I managed to get! Aghhhh! Cold night doesn't even begin to describe it!

Thanks for the good company and well done for catching such a great fish in difficult low water conditions.

I think tough that the stretch I was fishing in was even shallower, more difficult and totally devoid of fish. What do ya mean, we were fishing the same swim? Damn cheek!

JC

Where's me bivvy?

Go to Top of Page

Bluey
the old hippy

Northamptonshire
England

Posted - 08 September 2003 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bluey's Homepage  Click to see Bluey's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Bluey to your friends list

TOWN PARKS FISHERY

PAIGNTON, DEVON

PART I

Thursday 28th Aug

This is a serialised story of the trials and tribulations of a maggotdrowner on holiday.

This morning (28/08) saw the Bluey clan heading for Town Parks Fishery on the Totnes road near Paignton. The clan consisted of, myself, Chris (No2 son) Sheryl (daughter) and their friend Craig.
We arrived mid morning (10-00)to the friendly welcoming insults of Russell, the bailiff, who clearly remembered us from last year.
After parting us from our coin of the realm, and informing us of best baits, tactics and a few tips on catching, we set of up to the Top (match) Lake.
On arrival we chose three ajoining pegs on the "roadside" which were 3,4, and 5, and were situated near the big island.
I set everyone who was fishing up on simple waggler gear with myself on slightly heavier gear as I wanted to target the carp rolling near the island.
As time wore on it became clear that these fish just did not want to play, the young 'uns however were busy catching small roach, perch and the odd rudd, so I abandoned the idea of getting anything big from the island and set up a waggler rod for myself, with instant results. From then on it was a bite and almost a fish a chuck!
Most of which again were Roach, Perch, Rudd, with the odd Bream thrown in as bonus.
The new keepnets I had bought were christened and between us we had quite a considerable catch. Towards three o'clock the kids started to get a bit restless and hungry so we emptied the nets, we did think about photgraphing the catch but SOMEBODY forgot the camera so there's no photos of this trip out.
The kids went down to the shop, and then the car, for food and I continued fishing. The best fish of the day turned out to be a bream of about 2lb 8ozs with a roach of about 1lb 8ozs coming in a close second.
About 5o'clock my phone went, it was "her" if the chip shop's open bring us all back some fish & chips, and so drew to a close our first trip to Town Parks, a lovely day, fine weather, plenty of fish caught, poss another angler in the making with Craig, and to end the day fish & chips in the caravan followed by pints of black stuff in The Smugglers Inn.
What better way to end the day

just adding a couple of piccys

The Specimen lake (the original lake)

Some shots of The match (or top) Lake

Steve
Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Edited by - Bluey on 09 September 2003 5:56:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alison

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 September 2003 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Alison's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Alison to your friends list

Well here we are back from sunny Brittany. I must say we had absolutely fantastic weather the whole time we were there

We stayed in a gite called Le Herisson, a lovely little place just 30 mins from St Malo and 20 mins from Dinan.

www.leherisson.com

Our hosts Stephen and Sandy couldn't do enough for us and treated us to a free barbecue on our last Friday.

As fishing goes this place has it's own private lake which would be perfect for kids or beginners as the Ruffe are plentiful to say the least. There are however 3 Carp in there that have never been caught (a challenge to someone maybe) over 20lb apparently. There are dozens of lakes all around this place so you'll never be bored.

We mangaged to catch Perch, Ruffe, Tench and Roach (some to over 1lb) mostly fished maggot or sweetcorn on the hook over hemp and groundbait.

We will definitely be returning to this place (sorry only took one pic of the fish and haven't downloaded it yet)

France is a beautiful country and is definitely worth visiting even if you don't fish.

Alison

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.58 seconds.