The Maggotdrowners Forum - bolt rigs (semi-fixed)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 bolt rigs (semi-fixed)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloomer
fishing monster

Warwickshire

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  6:28:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bloomer to your friends list
hi

i have a shortish session (5hrs) planned to a water with plenty of upper doubles low 20's in and im hoping to catch one to up my pb before winter hits too hard.

i am not a dedicated carper but have upgraded my kit on return to fishing.

i have 12' 2.75lbTC rods and baitrunner type reals with 12lb line on them.

plan on fishing semi fixed bolt rigs as i am told these work well on the lake im planning to fish.

questions

max cast will be about 30 yards what weight lead do i need (read somewhere about needing a couple of oz for hooking)?

what strength hooklink would you use?

what length hooklink would you use?

what size hook would you use?

thanks guys (and gals)

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

captain boycott
Life Member

Lancashire

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  6:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit captain boycott's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add captain boycott to your friends list
If you are fishing more than one rod, I would try using a running rig on one and a fixed rig on the other. Running rigs give much better bite indication in my opinion. A carp can pick up a fixed rig (lead and all) off the lake bed without as much as a bleep on the alarm or a click from the reel and with a quick shake of it's head can leave your rig in a tangle back on the lake bed.

Go to Top of Page

captain boycott
Life Member

Lancashire

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  6:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit captain boycott's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add captain boycott to your friends list
I use 12lb mainline to 10lb hooklink on a 2oz running lead with a size 8 hook for most of my carp fishing.

Edited by - captain boycott on 27 September 2008 6:51:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

big stoo
hello

Lincolnshire
England

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  10:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit big stoo's Homepage  Send big stoo an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add big stoo to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by captain boycott

A carp can pick up a fixed rig (lead and all) off the lake bed without as much as a bleep on the alarm or a click from the reel and with a quick shake of it's head can leave your rig in a tangle back on the lake bed.

i must have carp playing with my bait all the time then

Go to Top of Page

bloomer
fishing monster

Warwickshire

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  10:12:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bloomer to your friends list

thanks

still doesnt answer any of my questions

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

big stoo
hello

Lincolnshire
England

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  10:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit big stoo's Homepage  Send big stoo an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add big stoo to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by bloomer

max cast will be about 30 yards what weight lead do i need (read somewhere about needing a couple of oz for hooking)? i'd use running rigs as light as possible for fishing the range you are

what strength hooklink would you use?i use shimano silk shock for my carp hook lenghts, in an approx 11lb bs

what length hooklink would you use?usually around 8 inches

what size hook would you use?either an 8 or 10 esp raptor

Go to Top of Page

bloomer
fishing monster

Warwickshire

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  10:23:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bloomer to your friends list
thanks

Go to Top of Page

Serious Sam
Seriously Serious

Posted - 27 September 2008 :  11:24:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Serious Sam to your friends list
At least a 2 oz lead so you get the bolt effect - light running ledgers get picked up off of the deck due and actually work as a poor bolt rig (see underwater DVD's) so if you're going to use a running ledger you need a big lead 4oz minimum and big eye on the lead to allw the line to run, semi fixed is so much easier

Go to Top of Page

Boxy
Life Member

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 September 2008 :  6:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boxy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Boxy to your friends list
Utter rubbish, if EVERYONE is using 3oz leads, the fish get used to ejecting them, stick a 1oz bomb on and they cant deal with it, seen that tactic used loads in the past, be different, catch more fish! If you fish the same as eveyone else, then expect to catch the same!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Astounded Coach
Life Member

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 28 September 2008 :  6:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Astounded Coach's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Astounded Coach to your friends list
Fully agree there, its the same as if everybody is on braid hooklinks try a stiff link..bang takes em totally by surprise.
BUT
I suppose as a starting point (and there has to be one) I would tend to approach a new water with:-
12lb mainline (if there are no snags..if snags are present 15lb)
Kryston Mantis hooklength with the last 2 inches peeled back with a longshank hook fished with a blowback style setup.
3oz lead on an Anchor Tackle variable release leadclip (at the turn of a collar you can turn these from semi fixed to a running rig setup)

The thing I am most concerned with is to use a `sticky' sharp hook which is checked regularly...
and finally a good quality bait in the RIGHT place!

Edited by - Astounded Coach on 28 September 2008 6:13:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

bloomer
fishing monster

Warwickshire

Posted - 28 September 2008 :  6:27:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bloomer to your friends list
ty

am going to try a combination of all the advice, and will see how it goes.

right place is easy within 3feet of the island or tight into a margin if theres an empty patch of bank to fish too, thats where all the biggies have come from.

going to try 1 running rig and 1 semi-fixed on my first visit and see which is better.

thanks all for the help....

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Boxy
Life Member

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  5:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boxy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Boxy to your friends list
Best of luck fella, let us know how you get on!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.06 seconds.