The Maggotdrowners Forum - River dane (pics)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 River dane (pics)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny Griffiths
Life Member

Cheshire
England

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  01:08:23 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Danny Griffiths to your friends list
Went on the dane at cotton farm for my last session of the summer before returning to uni. The river was low and very clear which, combined with sunny conditions, would make catching barbel very difficult. With this in mind i decided to start on the stick float with maggott, fishing a few pacey pegs at the upstream end of the stretch. In around 2 hours fishing i had a decent chub, 6 grayling (1 of which was a recapture!), a trout, a decent number of small dace and countless little chubletts. Surprisingly i only had two minnows.
At around 5pm i walked back to the car and picked up the barbel gear then headed to a peg that holds a large number of smaller barbel, as i felt that the conditions were against big fish. I fed a few 8mm halibuts then let the peg settle for 20mins before making a cast. When i did cast in it only took 5 mins to get a bite, which was from a lovley barbel of 3 to 4lb.
Following this fish, bearing in mind this was my last dane session of the summer, i decided to go on one of the pegs that holds big fish on the off chance that i might get one. I had a few liners there and missed two bites, however i think chub were the culprits. I was quite pleased with this return on a difficult day, it was certainly enjoyable fishing in the sun!!
My final tally from the dane this summer is 45 barbel to 7lb 8oz and 55-60 chub to 4lb 11oz, which came from 28 sessions, mostly short evenings. The fishing's been very enjoyable and i've learnt a lot about fishing the river (this was my first proper go on there). I'd almost go as far as saying it's converted a match angler! Cheers, Danny.

Two of the stick float swims.

Three of the stick float fish!

Nice little barble

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

DryNetNick
Life Member

Wiltshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  09:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit DryNetNick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add DryNetNick to your friends list
Some excellent fish there mate. I think 45 Barbel and 55-60 Chub in short sessions is pretty good in anyones book!

Go to Top of Page

BM Angler
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  11:13:11 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BM Angler to your friends list
Nice report Dan, you've had a good summer on what is a great stretch of river. Good luck tackling the Avon and no doubt you'll be tackling the Dane again next year!

Go to Top of Page

St helens Stan
Life Member

Merseyside
England

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add St helens Stan to your friends list
Great report Danny and great pics.Thats an excellent return for you on the Dane this year. I hope to be on CF this weekend at some point.
Where do you fish on the Avon, I will be down there next weekend weather permitting.

Go to Top of Page

bream tracker
made in stockport

Gt.Manchester
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 September 2008 :  8:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bream tracker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bream tracker to your friends list
well done danny

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Danny Griffiths
Life Member

Cheshire
England

Posted - 23 September 2008 :  6:08:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danny Griffiths to your friends list
St helens stan - Fished the avon with two mates for the first time today, not the normal stretches unfornuatly tho we were on a short free stretch near the top end. Loads of grayling with a few trout and dace made it a nice day. I've only really gone on proper rivers this year (i've fished big canal type things in matches before), so didn't have much interest in the avon last year. The cost of fishing in this area (hampshire) is a lot more than up north as well, not good for tight budgets! Might try and sneak a few sessions somewhere tho! Let us know how you do on the avon if you go! Cheers, Danny

Go to Top of Page

BAG UP
SINGLE RED

Posted - 23 September 2008 :  8:48:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BAG UP to your friends list
Cracking fishing Danny very well done mate

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.28 seconds.