The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole rig for deep water in Ireland
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole rig for deep water in Ireland
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nrayner
Not Dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  8:41:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nrayner to your friends list
Ok all you pole experts, a bit of advice, please.

I'm not very experienced in pole fishing but will be doing a bit when we go to Co Clare this September. The stretch of the Shannon that we fish is 14ft deep at 8/9 metres and is stuffed with roach that feed freely on or close to the bottom. I've never fished that deep with the pole before so what sort of rig should I make up. Float type, shot or olivette?; distance between weight and hook etc.

The river is virtually static so it's really like fishing a still water.

Thanks

N Rayner

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Steve M
dave

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  9:16:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve M to your friends list
Hi
my experience on the Shannon is from around the Portumna area.....flowing and about 18-20ft + deep. We used large 6-8 gram rugby ball shaped bodied floats with an olivette 2 - 3ft from the hook and a couple of no. 6 or no. 8 droppers below. Size 14 - 16 hooks and 6 lb mainline and 3-4 lb hooklengths for the big hybrids/roach/bream and occasional pike that live there !! We were putting a ball of groundbait (with plenty of particles) every put in or run through. If memory serves me correct anything from 10 - 14 elastic as some of those hybrids are animals. Maggot/worm or corn and cocktails on the hook
Some of the bites were unmissable and others were very delicate dips of the bristle.

cheers

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  9:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list
Depends if you're fishing line to hand or short-lining and unshipping really Neil.

14ft will be a top five rig anyway - I'd have a minimum of three or four feet above the float - if there is any flow you'll be able to inch the float downstream.

I'd have a minimum of three to four grams if you're short-lining and anything up to twice that if you're fishing line to hand - you'll need the extra weight to swing the float out.

Normally I'd have an olivette a couple of feet from the hook with a couple of no.6 droppers below that. Fancy shotting patterns will just result in tangles.
If you don't have the correct size olivette just use a bulk of AAA shot - doesn't look as neat but does exactly the same job.

If you're only likely to be catching roach I'd advise investing either in a flicktip or rigging one of your top kits up with powergum through the top section - elastic can be a real pain in the arse when swinging fish.

Simon

http://stokesleyanglingclub.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

nrayner
Not Dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  10:00:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Cheers for the advice on the general rigs.

I don't fancy the powergum idea, Simon as I prefer to feel that I am playing a fish, even if it is only 6 to 14oz in weight! That's the waggler fanatic in me speaking, though.

May use white or maybe grey hydro if bigger fish turn up.

N Rayner

Go to Top of Page

neil fallows
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire
England

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  08:01:52 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neil fallows to your friends list
Neil
As said roach love the groundbait.when we fished Lanesborough we would put 6 big balls in and as the bites dried up put another 6 in.This way we kept the fish on the bottom.
We used The dick Glegg Bann floats.you need to get them out as quickly as possible as not to spook the shoal.We used 8 metre drennan pole whips to hand with powergum in,you get less tangles with powergum.If you drop one off with elastic it comes flying back at you.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/...P7110140.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

alfie
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  09:48:13 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alfie to your friends list
colmic jolly is a great float for Ireland you could as well take some lollipop floats,myself I would use ollivetts but shot is fine if that's what you like

Go to Top of Page

nrayner
Not Dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  6:12:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Simon, Neil

You've had me thinking all day about the powergum to hand method and I can see the advantages. Trouble isI can't afford a dedicated decent pole for this so I'll risk fitting it in the match top 3 from my Technium and blame you both if it breaks!

N Rayner

Go to Top of Page

cess monkey
Life Member

East Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  8:23:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cess monkey to your friends list
I use 6 to 12gm floats 8lb mainline with a 5lb hooklength. Hook size changes, depending on how the fish are feeding but i usually start on a 10 with a bunch of maggots.
I use a 16 or 18 elastic and as for groundbait i start off with 8 or 10 babys heads followed by a wallnut sized ball a chuck.
I`ve done well over the years fishing this way and my best was 113lb of roach to 2 1/2lb in 3hrs.
Use winder bungs with heavy elastic and once you tighten it it`s surprising how big a fish can be swung in on it.

Enjoy your holiday!

Go to Top of Page

neil fallows
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire
England

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  8:41:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neil fallows to your friends list
Power gum will stretch neil,go for a lighter one about 8lb.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/...P7110140.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 30 June 2008 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by nrayner
Trouble isI can't afford a dedicated decent pole for this so I'll risk fitting it in the match top 3 from my Technium and blame you both if it breaks!

Blame him not me
I don't bung the powergum through my entire top 3 - just the top two (or the end section if it's a power kit)
I've never managed to smash a top-kit in Ireland yet - must try harder

Simon

http://stokesleyanglingclub.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.03 seconds.