The Maggotdrowners Forum - Tri-cast poles
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 Tri-cast poles
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
There's no standard for elastic ratings - most manufacurers will just bung "20" on just to shift more gear and worry about the consequences later. Bear in mind too that that will be a standard 16, not hydro, so it will be bl**dy strong. Phone them up and ask where you can try one out.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  10:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
Weston Pools (Oswestry) are a Tri-cast dealer and will let me try the Finesse pole on their pools along with a Talisman. Thats a decent dealer for you!

Go to Top of Page

SteveM

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  11:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SteveM to your friends list
The way I see it is that the Colossus is the power pole and the Finesse is a silver fish pole with enough guts to deal with most commercials. The Talisman seems to sit somewhere between them. If you want 15.7ms of pole with lots of top sets then the Finesse is a much cheaper option the the Talisman. The Finesse is likely to be a little lighter and stiffer than the Talisman but not as strong. Being able to try them out on a pool will allow you to best decide which is best for you. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after you have tried them. I have contacted Tri-cast to try and get the official view on where in the market these poles are placed. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  9:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
SteveM,

Please post the reply from Tri-cast if you receive one and have time as I would be very interested to know myself. Looking for an out and out 16'a rated elastic pole it is very difficult to compare other than the older Spectron, Whisker etc and although I agree the Finesse 16's rating is not overstated like other (Maver) poles it may be a negative on paper for those not aware of the Tri-cast build quality and wall strength.

I cannot wait to try them out - next week.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

SteveM

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  5:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SteveM to your friends list
Here's the reply from Steve Hopkinson at Tri-cast:

"The Finesse Competition has just been launched and is already an outstanding
success as it beats all other poles at this price level. It is designed for
the match angler that fishes every where. You can easily use this pole on
commercial fisheries. Light and slim and very responsive plus 8 spare top
kits make this pole an absolute bargain.
The Talisman is cheaper to buy , but you don't get the kits with it. It is
slightly stronger than the Finesse but is heaver. We are sure the
Finesse is more than strong enough to cope with all types of fishing.
I would suggest you look very closely at the Finesse Competition
pole and also to go with it the 9mtr XRS POWER MARGIN. This is an out and
out super strong margin pole that will get any fish out of any swim.
Hope this helps."

I'm still not sure about Tri-cast's pricing policy here as the Talisman works out as the more expensive pole once the 15.7m extension and top sets are taken into consideration. The Finesse seems like a good deal and should handle anything you are likely to encounter.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  9:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
This is what is confusing me - the Talisman is by far the more expensive pole once the extension and topkits are added. Its a 2000 package once the top 3's / 4's have been included.

I do like the line suggesting the Talisman is only "slightly stronger". As I feel this is easily one of the strongest current poles available that does not have banana characteristics, a slight decrease in strength is probably not a great concern.

Go to Top of Page

SteveM

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  11:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SteveM to your friends list
If I were given a choice of either pole at the same price and with the same extensions and top kits I would still opt for the Talisman for it's extra strength. I don't find the extra weight a problem on the Talisman. Given the price and spares package with the Finesse I would give it serious consideration. You could add the XRS Power Margin pole to the package and still be cheaper than the Talisman. Angling Times did say at the end of the Talisman review that a world exclusive live test of the Finesse would be coming soon.

Edited by - SteveM on 07 May 2008 11:38:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  9:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
This is a reply I received from Steve Hopkinson with regards the pricing structure. I think that many other manufacturers should learn from the responsive and friendly responses that Tri-Cast are giving. This makes you feel like a valued customer rather than just another profit.

"Firstly let me put your mind at rest. The Finesse is better than the Talisman and does work out cheaper. This is nothing to do with the carbon being a lower grade in fact the top 5 is of a higher grade. But we have saved a lot of costs in a new production process and resin injection developed from our work with British Aerospace. So I know it sounds daft but yes it works out cheaper but it is better. Now to answer your questions.

Yes the Finesse is stiffer in the top 5 and more responsive. Our pole competes with the Maver 401 which is 200 dearer but directly competes with the MAVER 371, GARBOLINO G8. DIAWA WHISKER all of which sell at the same price of 1500. All basiclly have a similar spares package and without doubt they get nowhere near the Finesse. Ours is hands and above far better in all departments and a lot stronger. With the added bonus that you can get spares for ours straight away and will do so for many years to come.
No other poles are planned to be released in 2008"

So, its a straight choice between two excellent Tri-Cast poles.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

artist
wightangler

Isles of Wight
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  09:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Send artist an AOL message  Send artist a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add artist to your friends list
nice to hear some good experiances with the new tri-cast poles, as made and designed in the UK got to be a major plus factor.

Go to Top of Page

Bungee
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bungee's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Bungee to your friends list
Better than that Artist, made and designed in Lancashire!!!

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

jackrus555

Humberside
Swaziland

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jackrus555's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jackrus555 to your friends list
IVE just bought the new margin pole from tri-cast have not used it yet but will let you all know how i get along with it

Go to Top of Page

moggie

Cheshire
England

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit moggie's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add moggie to your friends list
how much was it and where did you get it from?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

jackrus555

Humberside
Swaziland

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jackrus555's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jackrus555 to your friends list
it was 250 and i got it from fishing tackle direct in goole .they are on ebay under tri-cast. its a fishing tackle shop.i went and picked the pole up the next day

Go to Top of Page

HapperDapper
Life Member

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  11:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit HapperDapper's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add HapperDapper to your friends list
I too am thinking of looking at the new Finesse and did consider the Talisman but was put off with it being only 14m. I am currently using a Tricast Excellence that i bought new in 2002 thats only 935g @ 14m so its much lighter than Tournament pros, Airitys, G10s, etc but only rated to 14 elastic (solid) which in my opinion is stronger than 20 hollow that most flagship poles quote and thats only the power top 2s. As for stiffness i would say the Excellence is on a par with the G995 so its not too far off the mark with current top of the range poles.
In the 6 years i have owned the pole I have totally abused it and it has been repaired (totally wrapped on the 13, 14.5 & 16m butt sections) this has now made the pole considerably heavier and I'm currently looking for another 13m section. The pole did not come with any power tops i just removed the No1s and have never broken No2s 3s 4s etc on double figure carp. I would not use the pole for dragging big carp from snags or trying to tame those animals in Drayton for that i use my 12yr old Original XRS.
I would be very interested to hear from any maggotdrowners who have had hold of this pole and how it compares with the competition.

Go to Top of Page

Paul Cresswell
Life Member

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  8:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Cresswell's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Paul Cresswell to your friends list
Now that Tricast have got their spares packages up to scratch I'll be having close look when its pole replacement time. The Finesse package is spot on for my needs. Spares availablilty almost guaranteed for years and replacement sections are a reasonable price (I currently have a top end Shimano!!). I do like the made in UK aspect.
I bought a tricast Linear 14m in 1994 and loved it and used it for a few years, it was built to last - I suspect its still in use somewhere! I look forward to seeing some Finesse reviews.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  1:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
Just picked up the Finesse and will report back after the weekend following some use.
Initial feelings are that the pole is strong walled, stiff at all lengths and very light.

It is not a crunching pole by any stretch of the imagination but would be happy on normal commercials (not Drayton so carry on with the XRS happydapper!)

The feel reminded me of the original Spectron - good balance.

Concerning the point about the Talisman, the pole is sold as standard at 14m but there are extensions available. I think that the magazines did not explain the Talisman spares paclage at all well during reviews. You get a very basic pole and then build up the spares to suit your budget and requirements so in realitity the pole cost is not 1150 but whatever you want it to be!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

jackrus555

Humberside
Swaziland

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jackrus555's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jackrus555 to your friends list
cant wait for your report back on the finesse steve

Go to Top of Page

HapperDapper
Life Member

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  8:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit HapperDapper's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add HapperDapper to your friends list
I cant wait either, have any mags or papers done a review yet?

Go to Top of Page

mshaw
Life Member

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  12:04:45 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mshaw to your friends list
Will also be interested in seeing/reading any reviews that come out. I purchased a second hand Supremacy not so long ago, brilliant pole. Used to have a Whisker and honestly can't tell the difference at 16m. Have the extension to take it to 17.4m but not used iy yet. Does anyone know where I can get some top 2's for this pole? Are the tops 'generic', i.e. will a top 2 from another model fit? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
OK I could not resist and ended up at a local club water near my home in Oxfordshire rather than going to work.

I will give it another try out tomorrow and then give you the honest write up but I have enjoyed fishing with the pole today as it is very responsive and was a real pleasure to hold at 14m (did not bother fishing longer)

It handled fish from 1oz silvers through to a bonus 5lb Tench which caused a slight panic as I fished light all day on the match kits for skimmers and it took some praying before the light elastic did the business.

Tomorrow I am steping up the elastics to 12's / 14's for some heavier action at a carp match pool so we will see how the sections take some abuse from commercial fish as I do think that today's action was nothing more than a light training session.

When I picked the pole, I held the Maver 371 & 401 poles and although I would not dream of saying anything negative against their over brittle, non-give sections, they both felt good with the 401 potentially having a very slight stiffer action than the Finesse but only because I think the Finesse top 4 has been designed with some flex as the rest of the pole is very rigid. I will comment more on this tomorrow as it does provide a different feel in fish playing action.

P.S. What happened to the sunshine today? Rained for hours!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.52 seconds.