The Maggotdrowners Forum - Tri-cast poles
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 Tri-cast poles
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 30 April 2008 :  01:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add stevef to your friends list
I am considering the Tri-cast Talisman as my main commercial pole due to its high wall strength.

Has anyone else used this pole and if so - what do you think? What are your feelings with regards to strength, balance and stiffness?

Regards,

Steve

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 30 April 2008 :  9:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
The silence makes me wonder if anyone uses Tri-Cast gear!

Go to Top of Page

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 30 April 2008 :  10:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
I use an old Sovereign II - its great, although I'm told the original Sovereign was better. Put it this way - you're never going to snap a no 4 while you're plumbing up!

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 30 April 2008 :  10:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
But I really want to know how people feel Tricast poles have progressed and how a current top of the range Tricast pole compares with a Maver, Garbolino, Shimano or Daiwa

I have never damaged a Tri-cast yet have snapped Daiwa and Shimano sections. I have a mental block against buying a Maver as I was in between two anglers who both latched onto large carp in a match at Cudmore and within 10 minutes of each other both poles snapped at the number 5 section and the tops of the poles were seen being pulled along the top of the lake for the next half hour. What is the point of a super rigid pole that is seemingly made from light bulb glass.

Go to Top of Page

The brewer
Life Member

Hereford & Worcester
Bahrain

Posted - 30 April 2008 :  11:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit The brewer's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add The brewer to your friends list
Tri-cast poles are very strong but the fact is not a lot of people have them. I have an aracept great pole but i have never seen another one. If people don't see the big names using them they tend not to buy them. The only person i know who is slightly well known that will have one is Vinne Smith from Highfield angling. The other thing is they are not everywhere like other makes.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

biggs
Life Member

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  4:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit biggs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add biggs to your friends list
dont know about the talisman, but if its anything like my armantia you would struggle to break it in any normal fishing situation, no matter how cack-handed you are. tri-cast poles are built to last .in fact i use mine to beat down the undergrowth before commencing fishing. at full length (15.7m) its a bit of a handful, take a section off and its a cracker and will handle anything you care to throw at it.

one thing not so good about it, it doesnt slide through the hands so well when its wet.

Go to Top of Page

biggs
Life Member

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  4:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit biggs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add biggs to your friends list
one other thing , its not a light pole but its stiff and well balanced.

Go to Top of Page

tackle21

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit tackle21's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add tackle21 to your friends list
i agree not the lightest but take some beating for strenght,used to have an excellence which was the top of the range match pole used red hydro thru match kits never broke a section & it was only rated at a 14 elastic.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  11:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
I would say that Vinnie Smith is very well known if you are a certain age. How many anglers in their 20's would remember the mighty Kevin Ashurst let alone his dad Benny

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by biggs

one other thing , its not a light pole but its stiff and well balanced.

That's just not true. They've always been light, and still are. The new Tri Cast Finesse is 970g at 14m, while the Tournament Airity (for example) is 1070 at 14.4m. So you see there's not much in it. The Colossus, which is probably the strongest pole you can buy anywhere is only 775g at 12.5m, which is also pretty much the same as an Airity. The new XRS 24K margin pole is 335g at 9m and rated to 25 elastic. Thats incredible for the weight.

Go to Top of Page

strat2
Life Member

Australia

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see strat2's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add strat2 to your friends list
Tri cast poles people are not commenting on them because they do not know about them or have used them.

The only problem i would think on tri cast poles is the spares and stocklistin avalibility.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
I just spoke with Vinnie Smith who is the Maver and Tri-Cast agent. He could not call Maver bad - how could he when he sells them as a business but did say that his commercial pole is the Talisman and the canal / stillwater silvers pole will be the Finesse. Like he said, its a trade off between reliability, weight and stiffness with the Tricast getting the higher overall score but not necessarily quite the lightest or stiffest but probably always the strongest with great balance and handling.

He is a great bloke ~ taught me some basics on Bloodworm fishing when I was just a young lad (he was alot younger then as well). Im off to see the poles in his shop next week once the wallet is full or the credit card empty.

Good point from strat2 with regards spares.

Go to Top of Page

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
Strat - There's no problem with spares - just got new no.4 for my 10yr old tri-cast for 67. Arrived within 4 days. They will manufacture a new section if there are none in stock and guarantee 25 yr spares availability. Name another manufucaturer with a better policy!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

floatfisher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  8:40:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floatfisher to your friends list
They give the best spares guarantee of any manufacturer but I think that the actual number of topkits supplied could be better.One matchkit and one powerkit plus a voucher for another kit doesn't compare favourably with other manufacturers poles in the same price range, and when you consider the cost of buying extra kits is around a hundred quid a time I believe, I think it does put people off. I had the first two models they produced,the Ultralight and the Maestro, for a good few years and had no problems with them. I would have another look at their poles, as and when I decide to change my current pole, if the spares package supplied was better.

Proud to be a grandad!
Go to Top of Page

fishdogmick
catch alot

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  8:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishdogmick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishdogmick to your friends list
the only thing wrong is the spare tops with them you only get 3 another 2 and you would see alot more around, 100 pounds for a top 2 seems alot.perhaps someone involved with them could answer the spares packaged compared to other makes for the price .

http://kizzyenglishbullterrier.com/.
Go to Top of Page

clfletch
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 03 May 2008 :  11:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit clfletch's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add clfletch to your friends list
The new Finesse come with about seven top kits, so it looks like they've been listening to what people have been saying.

Go to Top of Page

biggs
Life Member

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit biggs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add biggs to your friends list
yep its about time they did a decent top kit package, tri-cast top kits are expensive. a power top 2 for my armantia is 100 but stalybridge anglind supplies will do them for 90. again its a 100 for a number three. not the cheapest about but i honestly wouldnt swap the pole. talking about the strength of tri-cast poles,
ihad around 80lb yesterday on border fishing shallow at 13m, including a fish of 15lb it bottomed the laccy out twice(no 15 preston hollo) but at no point did i fear for the pole. a we all know how they power of when hooked a foot deep

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

SteveM

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SteveM to your friends list
I have a Tri-cast Talisman with extensions to 17.4m. I compared the Taliman against a lot of other poles in the shop including the Garbolino Super G10. At the same length the Talisman did feel lighter which is likely to be due to a better balance rather than actual weight. The finish on the Talisman and all new Tri-cast poles is some kind of silicone paint and glides throught thew hands even when wet. Spares aren't a problem as you can still get spares for the first poles that Tri-cast made. The top sets can be had for 65 (got mine at 60 as I bought them with the pole). I also got the interex 3 section (read short 4) for 45 so I don't think spares are too expensive. While looking for a new pole I contacted most manufacturers for information. Tri-cast were the only company to reply and Steve Hopkinson the national sales director replied in person answering all my questions and sending me an information pack through the post. Last time out I fished for 8 hours at 15.7m and found it easy compared to my last pole. Although it is only 15.7m it ends up the same length as most 16m poles after cutting back to fit bushes as very little needs to be cut off. To show how strong the Talisman's sections are during the Angling Times review Mark Sawyer stood on the butt section. Check it out here:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/news/New...st-Talisman/

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
SteveM,

How stiff was the Talisman in comparison to the G10 when you tried the poles?

Go to Top of Page

SteveM

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  12:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit SteveM's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SteveM to your friends list
It's not quite as stiff as the G10 but the G10 is a very stiff pole. The Talisman is still quite a stiff pole though and is much stiffer than my mates G796 and Shimano Antares BX. Very little droop at 15.7m. Next time out I intend to try it at 17.4m on a local lake where it is 18m to an island.

Go to Top of Page

stevef

Oxfordshire
England

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevef's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add stevef to your friends list
SteveM - Thanks for the comparison's you gave. I have looked at the Antares BX quite closely and this gives me a very good idea where the pole sits with regards to rigidity.

The only question is whether the new Finesse will tempt me instead. Its odd how it is quoted as the finest ever Tri-cast pole but the price is very low, even with alll those spares. Is the low price a factor of the carbon used? Does this new manufacturing process mean that all the Tri-cast pole will drop in price (don't bother responding as I already have an idea based on the fcat that the prices have gone up this month!)

The Finesse is only 16's rated though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.52 seconds.