The Maggotdrowners Forum - Hollow Elastic or Hydro
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Hollow Elastic or Hydro
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

brasem
Wear Champ 2011

Durham
England

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add brasem to your friends list
We all know just how good hydro is, and the fact it is filled with liquid to stop it from collapsing and aid stretching, but has anyone thought of this?????

Ordinary Hollow elastic has air inside it, if you knot both ends of any hollow elastic then the air inside will act in exactly the same manner as the liquid in hydro.

Are we all being conned by Daiwa????

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

bow75

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  9:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit bow75's Homepage  Send bow75 an ICQ Message Bookmark this reply Add bow75 to your friends list
i think that the liquid inside the hydro act as a lub, there for, there is no extra external lub required, i find all i have to do is run the elastic in the water and thats it away you go!

Go to Top of Page

slf
NUFC

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  9:58:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add slf to your friends list
year i think it acts as a lube

Go to Top of Page

brasem
Wear Champ 2011

Durham
England

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  10:42:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brasem to your friends list
How can an internal liquid act as a lube unless the elastic is porous in which case the liquid would eventually leak out?

Go to Top of Page

gazmalman
malmanfloats.com

Durham
Heard Island & Mcdonald Islands

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  11:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit gazmalman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add gazmalman to your friends list
I think you might be right. Ive got kits with white hydro and kits with the map white which is the same stuff but with no fluid, I have no idea which ones are which!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Clive
Black Hydro

Site Supporter

Berkshire
England

Double Jinx series champion Going for 3 in a row

My Photo Album

Posted - 27 February 2008 :  11:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clive's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Clive to your friends list
The liquid in Hydro turns Hydro into a semi solid elastic when its under pressure which is what gives it a second burst of energy after the initial run (1 of the benefits people that chop their Hydro too short miss out on )

Rolfs 200lb+ Club Member
Jinx 100lb+ Club Member
"Minxed" Club Member
Jinx series champion 2010 + 2011

The Black Hydro Fishing Adventures

Go to Top of Page

jonboy5

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  12:22:56 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jonboy5 to your friends list
to be honest mate if alan scotthorne dont use it why shud we? he knows his onions and he uses soild elastic.personally i think its a money making gimick.

Go to Top of Page

Rob172cup
Life Member

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  08:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rob172cup's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Rob172cup to your friends list
Hydro lasts alot longer ive found, ive had some hydro in some top kits for 4 years and aslong as its on a winder bung you can keep re doing the knots at the end where it does wear down, where as ive had hollow elastic last 2 years and had to replace it.

Go to Top of Page

colbro

Surrey
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  08:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit colbro's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add colbro to your friends list
we are going down that same old road guys.its not about which is better it is about which elastic/latex/hydro/hollo/dual core ,suits you and the way you fish, not forgetting the most important thing;your pocket.
personally i have a mix... eg latex or solid up to size 6 for silvers, if i am bashing out bream depending on size i will go for a 3-6 or 4-8 hollo and for commercials match carp and bigger lumps dual core 12/20 or 14/19 hollo.
i have tried hydro ,but i am not as rich as some of you and if i was to do all my tops with it,it would cost me close to a hundred and thirty quid.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

carper92
Life Member

England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carper92 to your friends list
i have Hollow Elastic and Hydro!!

hollow is still good just depends which hollow you are going to buy!!!!

preston light blue is good elastic i have that is one of my top kits
and black hydro in another but hydro win my vote!!!!

from ryan

tony, i am bringing my other top kit down the shop today for some some white hydro to be put in!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

brasem
Wear Champ 2011

Durham
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brasem to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by carper92

i have Hollow Elastic and Hydro!!

hollow is still good just depends which hollow you are going to buy!!!!

preston light blue is good elastic i have that is one of my top kits
and black hydro in another but hydro win my vote!!!!

from ryan

tony, i am bringing my other top kit down the shop today for some some white hydro to be put in!!!!!!!

Its about time you were doing it yourself my young padawan

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
Or you can just buy a cheaper hollow like Drennan and fill it with pole lube, give it a try it works

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

carper92
Life Member

England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  10:36:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carper92 to your friends list
lol

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

bow75

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  11:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit bow75's Homepage  Send bow75 an ICQ Message Bookmark this reply Add bow75 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by jonboy5

to be honest mate if alan scotthorne dont use it why shud we? he knows his onions and he uses soild elastic.personally i think its a money making gimick.

no ones forcing you to use it its a choice thing diawa put it on the market and it YOUR choice if you want to use it.

personally i use it all the time and find it stretches more and lasts long than other elastic, hay that my opinion, thats what these forums are for!

Edited by - bow75 on 28 February 2008 11:24:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steve Beavan
Life Member

Cheshire
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  2:20:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve Beavan to your friends list
Having played around a lot with elastics this last year, here are my thoughts.

1.I I could afford it I would use hydro for everything. Main reason being it's so durable, both resistant to abrasion and doesn't perish at the knot. It is almost impossible to bottom out, and you can fish a fairly heavy grade without bumping smaller fish.

2.Drennan carp bungee. The yellow(10-12) grade and upwards are almost as good in use as hydro and are half the price; but it does not last as long and and will split and perish quicker than hydro. The lightest drennan grade is green(5-8) does not perform well, if it gets anywhere near bottoming out sections of it permanently collapse making it useless.

3.At the moment I'm using maver latex a lot; no.6 for silvers and 12 and 14 for carp; I actually had a carp about 9lb on the number six latex last week and it was still ok afterwards.
Latex is nice and cheap, you can do two top kits for three quid!

4.Garbolino hollow is supposed to be good although I've not tried it, and price is midway between drennan and hydro. I've also heard good things about vespe solid elastics, perhaps someone else on here has used them?

Go to Top of Page

scottie2hottie

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  3:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit scottie2hottie's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add scottie2hottie to your friends list
Another reason why should people buy lube when the best lube I think is lake water. I have used the new fox hollow (10-12) this winter and its the best since sliced bread. In the summer I use maver duel core which i think is the dogs! I dont now what all you think but i tried the preston latex this winter and it doesnt compare to the maver latex!
I work on a commercial and last summer i seen alot of top anglers using top kits with hydro but with the lube taken out. I asked y and they said that it gives you more control over the fish and stops it streching as much

Go to Top of Page

reveal13
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  3:58:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add reveal13 to your friends list
i use the vespe and garbolino hollows and they are brilliant, the red vespe i think is similar to black hydro in fish playing qualities and is highly visable and is probably my most used elastic.
I love the garbolino orange hollow elastic, its a tad thinner in diameter to he vespe orange which i use for lump fishing or down the edge work. both last a long time and are a little cheaper than hydro. however i use black hydro aswell, all have different qualities and each perform differently!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

little_roach
Bazzer

Lancashire
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  9:23:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add little_roach to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by scottie2hottie

I work on a commercial and last summer i seen alot of top anglers using top kits with hydro but with the lube taken out. I asked y and they said that it gives you more control over the fish and stops it streching as much

Not quite sure I understand the point of taking the liquid out of the Hydro. Surely that simply converts it to a very very expensive hollow? Are these anglers doing this saying that "hollow Hydro" out performs all purposely manufactured hollows even though it was not designed to be used as a hollow laccy - interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Hatchye
Life Member

Bedfordshire
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatchye to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by brasem

We all know just how good hydro is, and the fact it is filled with liquid to stop it from collapsing and aid stretching, but has anyone thought of this?????

Ordinary Hollow elastic has air inside it, if you knot both ends of any hollow elastic then the air inside will act in exactly the same manner as the liquid in hydro.

Are we all being conned by Daiwa????

What you fail to mention is that the liquid is more dense than air, which can be compressed a lot easier. You will probably find that the viscosity of the liquid is such that it is as thick as it can be without losing it's ability to move within the elastic.

Or something along those lines....

Go to Top of Page

Paul od
dave

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  10:25:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paul od to your friends list
As above Tony, I think you have to assume that liquid is more dense than air, so it's going to perform differently. Also, unless this was your point, standard hollows ARE fastened at both ends when you're using them!!
I've never used Hydro, having found Drennan Bungee seems fine, at least for me. The only thing I learned, very quickly at Woodlands, was that the yellow is too soft for proper carp in summer, but the pink is spot on. By the way, I take the pink out and replace it with yellow for winter, and I've been using the same ones now for three years...
What I do suspect though, is that fashion is the main reason folk buy Hydro, not science, but each to their own etc.
My complaint about hollows in general, is that there's a big gap to be filled (!) at the lighter end of the spectrum. I've found the 5/6 to 8 hollows to still be far too powerful for smaller fish, and like other anglers, I stick to latex for my 'silver fish' elastics.
I like the idea of filling Bungee with fluid though. It would be interesting to see if it made a difference. Do you use a syringe?

PaulOD
Go to Top of Page

HarryOatcake
Hon. Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire
England

Posted - 28 February 2008 :  11:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit HarryOatcake's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add HarryOatcake to your friends list
What are the views of members concerning
Middy Vespe Pole Elastic,
I tend to use this make quite a lot mainly
for two reasons.

1. I find price wise its economical.

2. I have less tendency to forget the Elastic Rating
due to getting confused with the fact that there is no
parity across the board.

Harry.

:) "Tact?" "Wot Tact?". :)
"I thought that was something u nailed in a carpet". :)

"Success can be the result of many failures.
Believe me I should know I have enough."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.08 seconds.