The Maggotdrowners Forum - Lakeside, Ranskill
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Venue Advice and Information
 Lakeside, Ranskill
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bulgs

Posted - 10 February 2008 :  4:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit bulgs's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add bulgs to your friends list
Hi.

I am going to lakeside, ranskill for first time this week. Was hoping for some adive on which lake to fish and what methods to use in this colder weather?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Craigo
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 February 2008 :  10:34:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Craigo to your friends list
are you going mid week dan?

Go to Top of Page

bulgs

Posted - 11 February 2008 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit bulgs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bulgs to your friends list
hopefully going to go tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

pegasus
benny

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 11 February 2008 :  08:15:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pegasus to your friends list
id fish the second strip pond either peg 1 or 8 but you should catch any where.
it`s quite deep in the middle pegs it shelfs up at about 14 meters you should catch there and at 16 meters.
dont worry if you dont like fishing long youll catch at 6-8 meters too.
corn pellet long worked for me and maggot short works ok for the silvers.
good luck mate let us know how you go on, im planning a session down there soon.

Go to Top of Page

bulgs

Posted - 11 February 2008 :  12:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit bulgs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bulgs to your friends list
thankyou. Will definately give it a go. Have no pole though so prob use waggler and maggot feeder on quivertip rod. Nice to hear will get a few bites though and baits to use, as trent is still so high and hard going at minute. Is there an opening time or is it dawn?

Thanks again mate

Dan

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Craigo
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 February 2008 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Craigo to your friends list
to be honest bulgs

I would actually fish the main lake. The strips are full of fish but do tend to lend themselves to pole fishing, unless you want to sit on the tip all day.

I would fish something like peg 29 or 27 or maybe peg 10 or something. On the match lake (if using rod and not a pole) I would fish a relatively light rig on the waggler just loose feeding maggot. You should catch ide, skimmers, roach and chub - maybe even a carp or two.

Ranskill is open and is often windy - to catch carp on the strips you generrally need to be using pole (it's deep down the middle) or tight to the far bank (not easy to do with a waggler cos of the wind and under-tow). If using a rod on the strips I would opt to fish tip with a small g.bait feeder and would fish the 2nd strip.

good luck!!

Go to Top of Page

bulgs

Posted - 11 February 2008 :  9:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bulgs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bulgs to your friends list
Thanks mate. Really appreciate all the advice. Will see how it goes. If the lakes are not frozen that is lol.

Go to Top of Page

bulgs

Posted - 13 February 2008 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit bulgs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bulgs to your friends list
Went to Lakeside fisheries yesterday. Arrived about 7:20. Gates opened at half seven. Obtained my ticket from cabin and found out strip pond 2 was booked for a match. Talked to person got ticket from and explained tackle shop had mentioned 1st strip pond back left was a good peg and had fished well last week, and he agreed and showed me where to go. Started fishing waggler to reeds in corner where carp were moving in reeds, they were knocking about all day long. Fished maggot as hookbait and had few bites but missed them then lost two little fish that told me they were little fish messing around.

Set up small maggot feeder and fished maggot on hook. Caught chub second chuck, then for next four hours changning hookbait to worm, pellet and caster, just had tiny knocks every so often. But no fish.

The match fishermen were not doing much better on strip 2. When they finished the ones at left hand end had had 6lb and 2lb. Not sure about rest but sounded like it was similar results. They said when talked to them its usually bags up but was very slow.

About three o clock decided to throw caution to the wind and go for carp that were in reeds, seemed senseless waiting hours for little silvers and chub so set up method feeder with double corn hookbait. About hour later tip bent round and the following was in my net!!!!!!

My first double in winter, caught plenty in summer but not in winter. Weighed in at 11.5 lb hehe.

Then I caught this.

Weighed 5 lb.

Then this hehe.

Weighed 6lb.

Then finally this:

The idea of a method feeder in winter sounds crazy especially after -3 degrees in the night before leaving frost everywhere but again the trust method feeder worked. The gamble paid off!!!! Think it was the summer type sun in afternoon which was gorgeous that also helped.

Anyway thans for all people who gave advice for me on the fishery and hope you have enjoyed reading this report.

Oh and I got delivered sausage and egg sandwich to my peg by owner too at lunchtime. So what a day and a great place to fish.

Dan

Go to Top of Page

baggerbailey
Life Member

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 13 February 2008 :  11:38:42 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baggerbailey to your friends list
nice one dan,it just goes to show if you try something a little different from the "norm" it can pay dividens. method feeder in winter CRAZY.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.47 seconds.