The Maggotdrowners Forum - Whip fishing - recommendation please
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Whip fishing - recommendation please
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

codenamemilo
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  7:08:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add codenamemilo to your friends list
Thinking of getting a whip for a venue I have coming up soon thats heavily stocked with silvers apparently. I dont own a pole so a whip seems the most cost effective way of competing.

Can anyone recommend a whip for starters, what size should I be looking at, how much money buys me more than a stick without breaking the bank?

Also any suggestions on good rigs, pros and cons of elasticating etc would be good

thanks

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

alex-nash
looking for the 20

Surrey
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  7:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit alex-nash's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add alex-nash to your friends list
miidy do a whip (not a telescopic) pre elasticated around 25 with 2 rigs and second pre elasticated top.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  9:11:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list
For value for money the Shakespeare Dynamic Whip is very hard to beat and is highly recommended. http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/P...s113pole.htm

Go to Top of Page

catch_da_fish

Sussex
England

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  10:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit catch_da_fish's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add catch_da_fish to your friends list
storm do a nice whip. its called the aero whip. they do it in all different lengths. mine only cost me 16 for a 6 metre

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Made in Yorkshire

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  10:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Jen to your friends list

I've got the Middy 5m whip, it came pre-elasticated with 2 rigs, and at under 20 I think it was a good buy. I've caught lots of silvers on it.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

arnyking
arnyking

Shropshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see arnyking's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add arnyking to your friends list
Middy Whips are no good for roach, u need a proper whip whith number 5 elastic that way u wont bump them off

Go to Top of Page

whalley1992
Account Locked

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  5:11:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add whalley1992 to your friends list
You can get good whips from game fairs last time i went to chatsworth game fair they had red wolf whips 1 a metre so a 5m whip was only 5 cheap as chip i then picked up an elastication kit for 6 and i had myself a 5 metre elasticated whip for 11.

Go to Top of Page

alex-nash
looking for the 20

Surrey
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit alex-nash's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add alex-nash to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Jen

I've got the Middy 5m whip, it came pre-elasticated with 2 rigs, and at under 20 I think it was a good buy. I've caught lots of silvers on it.

thats the one i was talking about.

Go to Top of Page

codenamemilo
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  10:13:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codenamemilo to your friends list
Im assuming its the Middy Ready 2 Fish Power carp bundle that people have recommended - if its not set me straight!

If it is, can the elasticated sections be redone? i think a 20 will be a bit heavy going for silvers so can they be re-elasticated with a much softer choice?

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Super ted
CRABKATCHA

Surrey
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  11:04:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Super ted to your friends list
I have one of the middy whips and they are ok for silver fishing. They come with a light elastic, a stong elastic and a flick tip. I am guessing you don't fish the pole in matches (I don't fish matches or the pole) so I would say it is probably the best bet if you are definately only out for silvers. I took it down to bury hill once and hooked some big match carp - I didn't stand a chance, the elastic is strong but, it is short, so either pulls the hook or breaks the line. I have had a nice bag of bream though including several slabs of a couple of pounds and it coped with this fine. In the same session however I hooked A carp and had no way of stopping it.

All in all its not the best pole but it comes with all the accesories, its ready to fish with and for smaller stuff it does the job.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Ted.

p.s. I just noticed your location, - I'm a Brummy but now live in Surrey!!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Made in Yorkshire

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 30 January 2008 :  2:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Jen to your friends list
I bought mine because I'd never tried pole fishing, and thought this would be a cheap way just to see how I got on. After a bit of advice from the lads on here, I used it last summer at a lake where the bites had dried up on the rod.

I didn't catch anything spectacular in size, mainly tiny perch and carp, but it was nice just to catch on the whip, and I enjoyed using it. My son bought one after that day, and although we don't use them all the time, we always take them with us. Its a bit of a confidence booster if the fishing is slow.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

miloshn44
tHe WaGgLeR bOy

Serbia (Srbija)

Posted - 30 January 2008 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit miloshn44's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add miloshn44 to your friends list
Not sure of those elasticated whips, nobody ever used them on international events! Light but rigid telescopic whip with soft mixed tip would be great for silvers (I guess that's small bream/skimmers). You won't be "full" with one size only, but the longer ones can be shortened in the worst case by taking off the bottom section. Your waters are not deep so i guess nothing longer than 6m on a windy day! Recommending Maver, but you wont find anything cheaper than 30-40 pounds.

Go to Top of Page

bluebaitbox
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire

Posted - 30 January 2008 :  6:19:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluebaitbox to your friends list
In my opinion if a whip is elasticated then it is no longer a whip, it must surely be a short pole.

A whip is a specific piece of kit for fishing for smaller fish "to hand". The tip section is a "flick-tip" to which the line is attatched by wrapping and securing with two pieces of rubber tube.

2m - 6m is the optimum length, longer than this and it may be time to think about using a short pole.

Someone will sponsor me........one day!

"The road to a friends house is never long"
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jen
Made in Yorkshire

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 30 January 2008 :  9:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Jen to your friends list

bbb, the Middy one comes with an elasticated section AND a flick-tip, so is it a pole-whip

Go to Top of Page

bluebaitbox
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cheshire

Posted - 30 January 2008 :  10:11:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluebaitbox to your friends list
You're right Jen, if you buy it you are buying both a pole and a whip

And ne'er the twain shall meet

Someone will sponsor me........one day!

"The road to a friends house is never long"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 2.11 seconds.