The Maggotdrowners Forum - how to keep caster
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Bait Talk
 how to keep caster
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

craigyb
Life Member

West Yorkshire

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit craigyb's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add craigyb to your friends list
What is the best way to keep casters. from getting them at the shop to storeing at home for next days fishing. Also keeping them at the bank.I never realy catch on caster and i think it must have something to do with quality of casters i am buying.I always store them in water.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Bigolbear
Life Member

Midlands West
England

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  7:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bigolbear's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bigolbear to your friends list
i'm no expert , I keep mine in aplastic bag all the air removed and pop them in the fridge . I did try freezing some once Not the best idea I ever had

Go to Top of Page

FERT
Life Member

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  7:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit FERT's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add FERT to your friends list
buy them fresh and use them over 2 days should be fine and use a nice darkcoulured one for the decent fish.

Go to Top of Page

craigyb
Life Member

West Yorkshire

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit craigyb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add craigyb to your friends list
how do you know if casters are fresh and good quality?

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  9:12:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list
Craig don't keep em in water for long mate, they go off. How do you know if casters are fresh...I smell em, if they stink they are old, also if the shells are burnt (blacks rings on em)they are probably old.
When I get mine home I put them in a one pint bait tub, cover with damp kitchen roll, then cover the top with black plastic, put the lid on the bait tub and put em in the fridge, when you get on the bank, then remove the packing and put water into the bait tub, remove any floaters.
Old casters are usually all the same colour, look for ones that have a good colour mix, no burns and smell fresh.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Clive
Black Hydro

Site Supporter

Berkshire
England

Double Jinx series champion Going for 3 in a row

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  9:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clive's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Clive to your friends list
They last better if stored out of the fridge in an air tight bag
and to get them darker keep them covered up from any light

Rolfs 200lb+ Club Member
Jinx 100lb+ Club Member
"Minxed" Club Member
Jinx series champion 2010 + 2011

The Black Hydro Fishing Adventures

Go to Top of Page

craigyb
Life Member

West Yorkshire

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  9:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit craigyb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add craigyb to your friends list
When ever i have had casters and not put them in water they just go dark and float will the kitchen roll stop this?

Go to Top of Page

breamcatcher
Breamy

Lancashire

Posted - 14 December 2007 :  10:01:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add breamcatcher to your friends list
Just put the shells into a pellet pump, place a dampened piece of kithcen roll over the shells.
Remove the air as normal
Store in fridge.
No problems ,, will last three/four days at least.

Go to Top of Page

Fill
Life Member

Bristol
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 December 2007 :  10:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fill's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Fill to your friends list
I Keep in a cool dark place with damp paper over the top

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

gorstyman
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 16 December 2007 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gorstyman to your friends list
When fishing on the bank you should fill your bait tub of casters with water...tip off any floaters and save these for the hook . I then empty the water out and while using them I stir them up every hr or so to stop them going toO dark . If its really hot keep some in a tub of cold water out of the sun and just take out enough to last you for say the next half hr at a time.

To keep casters lovely for up to a week at a time try this ...I have used this method for yrs ..

You need a tub so that your casters just about fill it up...wash casters off with a flour sieve...tip into tub . Get a full old newspaper and place the lid onto the paper...then cut round the lid so you finish up with about 20 sheets the size of the lid. Hold these under the tap til wet thru,then gently squeeze out excess water and place over top of your casters.

Place a piece of plastic over the top of this and then put lid on ...making sure it is tightly on.

If keeping for up to a week I then tape round the seal of the lid to make sure no air enters the casters. The day you intend to use them ...take out and wash thru under the tap and you will have lovely casters for fishing.

Go to Top of Page

gorstyman
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 16 December 2007 :  6:52:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gorstyman to your friends list
PS... just in case I didnt make it clear .....the piece of plastic should be wider than the tub lid so it stops air entering the container when sealed .

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

craigyb
Life Member

West Yorkshire

Posted - 16 December 2007 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit craigyb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add craigyb to your friends list
I think the casters ive been buying have not been good because there all dark.why do tackle shops sell such poor quality bait.

Go to Top of Page

Mark Dicko
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 December 2007 :  12:07:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark Dicko to your friends list
Craig change your bait supplier.....check the quality before buying and tell them very clearly that you want fresh good quality bait.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

phil-k
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 December 2007 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phil-k to your friends list
I have found with casters that the fresher they are the better.Also they are not an 'instant' bait like maggots.

You have to keep trickling them in and eventually the fish will come on to them and then you should catch for the rest of the day and you might get some bonus fish too.

Go to Top of Page

hadge
Life Member

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 22 December 2007 :  09:36:57 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hadge to your friends list
As bait is so expensive now you have to make sure you get the best from it.here are a few tips that ive used over the years without the bait spoiling.If the casters are differant colours I empty them onto a tray and cover them with a damp cloth or paper and store in a cool place overnight.In the morning you find all the casters have caught themselves up and are the same colour(why I dont know) that was a tip from Ian Heaps.If you have casters left I have brought them home ,drained of the water and frozen them,when you next go make sure you cover them in water before they thaw and they will still be sinkers but you can only do this once.If you have lots of maggots turning then let them turn ,riddle them off and put the lot floaters and all into a bucket containing water and metabisulphate powder(the stuff used in beer and wine making put on a tight lid and leave,as more casters form add them to the mix but ensure that you change the water every 2 days or everything will go off the casters are dead but very cruchy they sink and Ive find they work ok,Its a pain riddling & changing water but it works Cant remember the ratio of water to sulphate though you will have to experiment,Only use casters once.Does save money if your prepared to work at it and can pay divedens when you need a lot as in the sulphate they last for ages,used to do it when match fishing ,after the match go round with begging bucket and get the bait no one wanted

Go to Top of Page

pool_fodder
Life Member

Posted - 11 January 2008 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit pool_fodder's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add pool_fodder to your friends list
In water and cool, change the water every few days get rid of the floaters, for feed and carp they will keep for a long time. Or put them in an old stocking and drop into the toilet system

Go to Top of Page

kevinivyjoe
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 17 January 2008 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevinivyjoe to your friends list
I put mine in the freezer after used them once for a couple of hours, they seem ok next time i use them, after all there not cheap.
dont leave them in the freezer to long though or when they thaw out they split there shells.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.28 seconds.