The Maggotdrowners Forum - Any good fishing in the Oldham Area?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Venue Advice and Information
 Any good fishing in the Oldham Area?
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Matthew Martin

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  5:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Best tactics to get a decent mixed bag?

Best venues?

Thanks

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  5:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
id be interested too! i am an Oldhamer too!

i used to fish Alexandra park, but it aint too safe these days!

also, there are a few places inbetween oldham and royton. how serious are you, and are you a club member etc?

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  5:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
I only just started fishing again. Just been fishing the Rochdale Canal for pike but I'm thinking of buying an 8 metre pole and going after some roach and stuff. I don't know how the canal fishes these days but in the past I have had tench to 6 lb and bream and pike to about 8lb. Nout massive but decent fish all the same? Do you think an 8 metre pole would be ok for the canal?

Go to Top of Page

Matt Simmy
Matress

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  5:56:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Matt Simmy to your friends list
Where abouts on canal are ya gonna try?

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  6:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Which are the best stretchs, from the Boat and Horses stretch up until the Ship Inn stretch?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  8:19:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
I live in Oldham too. Have any of you tried Strinesdale Reservoir near Waterhead?Not to big and full of good roach,bream and tench and your pegs are set well away from the walkway. Only 3.50 a day to. If your after a club,consider Diggle AC as they have plenty of waters that I would consider up in the Greenfield, Uppermill area. Tanners Dam is brilliant.Lots of carp, skimmers, roach, perch and gudgeon to target.
Cheers
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  8:19:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
I live in Oldham too. Have any of you tried Strinesdale Reservoir near Waterhead?Not to big and full of good roach,bream and tench and your pegs are set well away from the walkway. Only 3.50 a day to. If your after a club,consider Diggle AC as they have plenty of waters that I would consider up in the Greenfield, Uppermill area. Tanners Dam is brilliant.Lots of carp, skimmers, roach, perch and gudgeon to target.
Cheers
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin

Posted - 03 July 2007 :  10:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
what the best tactics on stinesdale res?

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
ive done a lot on the rochdale canal, as a kid and in the last few years too.

i usually do the castleton stretch these days for pike. they probably average 4-6lb, but ive had 8lb and upton 17-18lb too.

i used to do the rose of lancaster punds too, down the the vinegar works and up to and past "th Iron Donger." not so much lately as its full of scum (thats weeds and some of the locals!)

Strinesdale Reservoir sounds interesting. ive done a bit on Ogden, Pilsworth, Hollingworth lake, and Dowry res. Ogden probably joint best for pike along with Hollingworth lake. Ive had some decent bream sucess on Holling too!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  5:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Hey mate which stretch is the Castleton stretch? Is it that tiny one with the Spin Inn behind it? Whats the best method for the pike? And what else is in there?

Go to Top of Page

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  6:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
castleton stretch is near slattocks, hard for me to explain cos i dont know place names very well. but its near slattocks/stakehil lodges. the road runs paralel to the canal. the norton grange backs onto the stretch which runs right to the M62 motorway. best way to show u is this link from multimap.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&m...053,-2.17423|15|4&loc=GB:53.58053:-2.17423:16|OL11%202XZ|OL11%202XZ

the canal stretch is slattocks to the m62.

best method for pike ive found is floatfished deadbait in the margins, or channels. me and my mate have had some sucess spinning, but not as large or many a fish as when we go with the deadbaits.

not fished it for anything else, but as per usual canal should have lots of perch, some tench and roach in there too!

Edited by - nickg on 04 July 2007 7:00:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Is the Rose of Lancashire stretch got any fish in it these days and the Dead Stretch above it? It burst its banks a few years ago! And are the perch back again in good numbers in the canal cos last time i fished it they had disappeared!

Go to Top of Page

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:20:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
Anything will catch you fish but in the warmer weather I tend to fish the pole between 8m and 11m and fish around 1ft deep and feed little and often. This usually brings roach and chub around the 6oz-8oz mark.Fish with a 16s hook though as if you go any smaller you will miss a lot of bites.If you want the bream and tench, fish on the bottom (which can be around 7-9ft deep at 11 metres!) with corn and pellet and you should get a good run of them. There are also perch and golden orfe in there.I've only ever fished on pegs 2-4 which are furthest from the car park but I reckon you could catch from all over during the summer!Need anymore info mate?
Cheers
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Cheers mate is this the Rose of Lancaster stretch. Has it been restocked since the banks burst cos i dont wanna get there and there be no fish in there?

Go to Top of Page

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:36:32 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
Sorry mate, I forgot to say, I was talking about Strinesdale Reservoir
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Cheers are there any big fish in the reservoir and are there any pike?

Go to Top of Page

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:41:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
No im afraid it doesnt have anything too big or any pike. I beleieve there is an odd carp in there but thats it. The stretch of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal at Roaches Lock in Mossley apparently has a decent head of pike and its apparently free fishing. But dont quote me on any of those 2 things!
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
how big do the bream and tench get to mate?

Go to Top of Page

nickg
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickg to your friends list
no i dont believe that the rose of lancaster has been restocked, and well.

my dad actually used to operate a trip boat on that stretch (running from the rose of lancaster) so i've fished it quite well in my youth. never had antyhing massive out of there, but there were some decent perch and pike. but again i used to do a lot of spinning and never had any real rod benders!

deadstretch, id give it a miss too. im not saying that there isnt anything there, but i would check out that castleton stretch as above, definately more and bigger fish in it, with less locals too:)

Go to Top of Page

Tony_grig
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  7:55:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tony_grig to your friends list
Ive never had any tench but I know people that catch them consistently, but the biggest bream I've had was around 3lb-4lb and I've had a few that size with plenty in the 1lb mark. If your just getting back into the sport this place would be worth at least a shot mate.
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin

Posted - 04 July 2007 :  8:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Matthew Martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Matthew Martin to your friends list
Cheers Guys!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.67 seconds.