The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 11)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 11)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 11)'.
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 now add up to 1000+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

So if you're new and have an hour or five spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Happy posting

Dave

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  10:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

A Day in Paradise is what I promised Haydn when he asked if anyone fancied going fishing on the 22nd April and with a bit of tongue in cheek, it's what I gave him - Paradise Leisure, Storwood, Nr York

The fishery is little known of and well out of the way of the passing motorist which makes it all that little bit special. It's owned by Simon andd Valerie, Simon is an Environmental Fisheries officer (yes he's the missing link lol) and if anyone should know how to run a fishery then I'd sugest it's him.

The fishery consists of two ponds, Pond 1 being the original that started life when they acquired it as a boggy puddle - not anymore it's approximately one acre in size with twenty pegs and contains a wide variety of lilies and reed beds situated around two islands, set in a mature oak woodland.
Pond 2 is a few years old now and is still in it's infancy but is coming on nicely with a nice mix of fish.

Myself and Stu arrived there at 7.30am to meet Haydn to find not only him but Norm and Slick there as well setting up on Pond 1 - so much for a quiet day lol

The pond has two islands and as Haydn, Norm and Slick had positioned themselves at the nearest one, myself and Stu went to the other. It wasn't long before we were all tackled up and everyone was into a fish or three. The species that were being caught were Rudd, Roach, Skimmers, Crucians, Commons, Mirrors, Tench, Stickleback and a Marlin or was it a Flounder (little joke). The pond had certainly come on since the last time Stu and I had fished it and all the fish were perfect in condition and feeding.

Anything went really, pole up to the island and into the margins produced the Tench, Skimmers and Carp, float or pole into the middle produced the Rudd and Roach, and light tackle into the margin produced the stickle back didn't it Stu? Stu Stickleback Bashing was purely Goliath and David stuff lol

And another suprise visitor as a figure loomed out of the car park, c'mon down teepee, this was looking more like a fish-in than a quiet day out. The place echoed to micky taking and laughter for the most of the day, the weather held out with some lengthy sunny intervals and all in all it was a cracking day out in paradise

Time for a few photos:

A nice little skimmer -

A second year Mirror -

Norm and Teepee Stickleback Bashing -

So if you're looking for somewhere that bit different from the commercials and just want to disappear away from it all then I'd have no hesitation in recommending this fishery, pay them a visit and tell 'em we sent you

http://www.paradiseleisure.com/

Dave

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Steve
Life Member

Bedfordshire
England

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Steve an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list

Sounds like a good day was had by all.
There's always time for a laugh with a few chums while fishing

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

good company with MDs always makes a day

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football

Go to Top of Page

Stu.
Cant drink anymore

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stu.'s Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Stu. to your friends list

quote:
and light tackle into the margin produced the stickle back didn't it Stu? Stu Stickleback Bashing was purely Goliath and David stuff lol

3 Points

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  4:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

got up this morning at 6 am, fishing tackle all ready in the car,got me sandwiches out of the fridge made me flask of tea and on me way by 6.60am. all on me own so i can go where i like, weather looks good, forcast Wind ( i flippin hate wind) never mind i am going to enjoy myself, decided to look for the lake at gibralter. its about 1hr 15mins, so by 7.45 i should be there. i was but it was still dark and i had not got a clue where i was, never mind. i had a good look round, to cut the story short 1hr 45mins later i found it wa 9.30 and it looks good.
the man who told me about it said look for the
tree, there it was hanging over the water loveley jubley, anyway i had to carry all me gear over a little bridge over part of the lake
(no problems) got me self sorted out, landing net made up first then me rod (me new rod) just hooks stright to the line big lump of bread (got
all the bread for nothing from the baker down our
road, i can have all yesterdays bread for free,
(what a result) lovely. any way cast out under the tree, put me rod on me rest the butt on me seat, picked up me landing net, to put handy tripped over me tackle box and sat down on me new rod (sugar) SNAPPED IT IN HALF AT THE BUTT
bloody hell. any way sorted myself out and made
me other rod up, cast out same spot settled meself down and waited. with all this going on it was now 10.15am rolling a fag and away went rod tip, i had not set it right on the new reel
nearly pulled me bleeding rod in any way grabbed it, right good fish but could not wind it in something wrong with the reel, lost the bloody fish. checked the reel found i had bent the bail armwhen i fell on it. set me self up again (second new reel) THOUGHT WHAT A START THIS IS,
never mind cast out to the same spot, got the reel set properly this time, right i said to meself, i did not have to wait long,saw this
bloody great gob suck me bread down GOTYER,lovely
fish got to be 20lbs plus honest one of the biggest carps i have ever seen, fought like hell
took me ages to get it in the net, you aint going
to believe this you know where you screw the net into the pole its abit of metal on the glass pole, it came off so the net was in the water
with me fish in it i dropped me rod and landing net handle layed on the bank and got me net (NO
BLOODY FISH) i decided to just sit there and
settle down and stop swearing and have a sandwich and cup of tea got me lovely boiled egg
sandwiches picked up me flask, guess what, IT WAS
BLOODY RATTLING.. yes it was smashed. i said now sugar to the bloody fishing and packed up. you aint going to believe this, you know the bridge i crossed, yes you got it, i was in such a bad mood i tripped and FELL IN. i sat up in the water and found i was still in bed. it was 5.20am
so i turned off the alarm and said to me self no
fishing today and went back to sleep. ha ha ha

ken neil

Go to Top of Page

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

Just a quickie to thank Dave for the company .....and Stu and Norm and Slick and Teepee a good day was had by all and I got 3 points for my fist Carp of the season. Thanks all of you for making it a great day out.

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  8:46:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

just a few photos from the "Paradise Fishin Pith-in"

a nice quiet venue (if you go when Stu's not there)lol
we all had a great day with plenty of fish & laughs...

Dave giving Stu a few pointers,

this is Stu trying out Daves advice,
& Norm looking on! after nicking some pellets off me!

picture looking across the lake to-wards Haydn

here's Dave in action (not)

just look at this good looking chap with the best fish of the day,

and Stu with a little mirror carp

and thats it another great day for the memory bank.
oh and Stu tried to sell me a stickleback for the race (chuffing 10)

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Edited by - teepee on 06 May 2003 9:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve
Life Member

Bedfordshire
England

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  10:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Steve an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list

Nice dream Ken, sad but most of my dreams are about fishing.
What am I talking about that's not sad at all

Nice report Teepee, Stu's stickleback is a fair old size. Still he could always use it as a little Pike bait

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Slick
'eyebrows'

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 23 April 2003 :  11:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Slick to your friends list

Great day out at Paradise thanks to all the lads for the company, best days fishing for a long time. Thanks also to norm who broke all the speed limits to get down there (LOL) wish it was a bit nearer I would visit it more. Good choice of venue. I didnt regret putting a days holiday in for it at all.

Go to Top of Page

goin_fishin
'Tiddler'

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 April 2003 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit goin_fishin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add goin_fishin to your friends list

Hey up all.....
just got back from lake Baisenthwaite ( lake district ) i spent 3 days up there fishing.

I went generally for Perch but there where not biting in 40 ft deep water. so me and my freind Twig went piking using Spinners.
in all we caught 15 pike , i caught 7. i caught the biggest 7lb 10oz.
Mostly averaging around 5lb.

I recommend this lake for Pike fisherman seein as it as Trout ( sea trout as well) Very big Perch 4lb very common,and big pike me and daniel saw a 27lb come out in the deeper part of the water,

but unfortunatly no pic , only cos we went up for Perch,,,

Regards Gf

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  05:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Nice one Gf

Dave

Dave

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  10:24:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

Thursday 24th April Barford, Lakes Nr Norwich, Norfolk.
for full details of this superb fishery check out there website
www.barfordlakes.co.uk

well today saw me & my friend Glynn going to Barford Lakes as guests of Sarah one of the owners to do a feature for FVUK.
Well we arrived at 0815 & after checking in at the office & having a quick look round the main complex we decided to set with me on peg 26 & glynn on 27 on the day ticket lake.
well as we were setting up i heard a lot of splashing & looked over to see 13yr old local Daniel Older landing this superb carp which i wieghed for him at 8-05 caught on waggler fished pellet

I decided to fish the pole at 11m with a variety of baits for the carp well i had some in the first 2-3 hrs with the best going 7-09 before they decided to switch off.
This caused me to go into my second plan of lighter rig at 11m fishing just 18" deep with maggot firing maggots in continuasly for the good roach & rudd that were in there well it wsnt long before roach & rudd to 1lb plus were coming to the net well by the time i had to pack up i must have had 70lb + of silverfish alone topped up by this at 2-07.5

glynn had probably just over half my total wieght with best roach about 1lb but he did not feed as heavy as i did.
anyway a superb days fishing on a superb fishery i would recomend it to anyone & will definatly be going back

tight lines.
martin.

Edited by - martin. on 25 April 2003 2:46:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  1:03:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Cracking day Martin, nice one

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Beebs
Life Member

Berkshire
England

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  9:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Beebs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Beebs to your friends list

Sorry, folks, no photos, but I'm sure one of the others will post some.

Elphicks - Mick (Weyback), Martin, Reg, Dave, Jason (NoFinPhish), Geoff P, Peter, Alan P, Laurie (hope I haven't missed anybody out)and Myself trod down to Elphicks near Tonbridge Wells and what an adventure.

Jason was navigating, so somehow, we ended up going through the Dartford tunnel, so we overshot by quite a few miles, speaking to Geoff on the blower, he and Peter were caught up in some traffic jam that was not going anywhere. So, instead of finding an alternative route, we drove stright into it and sat there like lemons for over an hour, before turning around and following an off duty Met Policewoman (who was actually quite fit) back the wrong way up the dual carriageway for just over a mile.

We eventually turn up at Elphicks and meet Martin, Reg and Mick. Grab a breakfast roll and wander over to meet the others. Introductions over, time to start fishing.

Me, the great white hunter with brand new bait rocket and 6 pints of hemp, decides to throw out a couple of pints of hemp near the island, as I had insider information that barbel were around there. I used my xtra heavy quiver rod and lobbed out a cage feeder with a chunk of luncheon meat on it and turned around to set up my float rod. In the time it took for me to get off my chair and turn around, my rod had been yanked from the rests and the fight was on. And boy what a fight. "Nice barbel this." Say I. "Very nice barbel." Until I got it's head up ages later and saw my barbel was a ghost carp. My patience with the other lads had already worn thin by the heckling to stop messing around and land the thing. One more for the fishing race (sorry Ray, you must be sick of all my pictures lately). 13.5lb that'll do nicely. If that's the form for the day, I'll be worn out by the end of it - not a chance. The lake then proceded to die for the rest of the day.

Alan P and Laurie had decided to illegally fish the lake directly behind and was getting run after run on his method feeder which didn't impress me at all as mine sat silent. Laurie quietly bagged up carp on his whip.

I don't know what the Garden Gnomes were doing on the other side of the lake with their long sticks, as I don't really class that as fishing.

4.30 - time for the toilet and some food before whacking out another load of hemp and pellet for one final attack for some Barbus. Not a chance - Jason repeatedly cast over my line, trying to do a Norm and take the fish from my swim. Bad luck suckers!!!!!!

I finally got my 'arris in gear and set up my float rod for some tiddler bashing before home time. Fishing under my rod tip, saw my float slide away and hit into what I first thought was a bream, until it took off into the middle of the lake and took 15 minutes before I even got to see it and by this time I had completely lost it with the others. One barracking is just about acceptable, but here they go again - "Get a pole, you'll land it quicker." "It's only a roach." Well you can imagine me, not able to take another joke had almost thrown my rod away in a fit of temper, but I had another carp. On a light match rod and 2lb line and a size 16 with double red maggot. 13lb9oz she was. Sometimes my own skill even amazes me. Am I happy - no. Because now I have to pack away a wet landing net. As you can see I am not happy.

That's it then, time to get all the kit together before we get locked in. I look down and my other bloody quiver tip is knocking, so I lift it up and I am fuming - I've only got another flipping fish. So I drag it in and haul it up the bank and what is it - my first ever Golden Tench - Ray, get your photo editor powered up again.

Wet net again and a wet unhooking mat to get packed away in my car. Not amused. To top it all, I ask Geoff to take a photo, and when I got home to look at the picture, what do I see - Geoff's beard. He's only held the camera the wrong way around, so I have no photo of my Golden Tench.

I am now home, crying into my whisky at the dreadful day I have endured with some of you lot.

Can't wait 'til the next time fellas, it was a real laff.
Thanks to every one of you.

Only kidding about the beard piccie Geoff, but it didn't come out on my camera, so can you email it to me please? Cheers mate, Steve,

Edited by - Beebs on 27 April 2003 12:16:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  11:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

originally posted by Beebs
quote:
I don't know what the Garden Gnomes were doing on the other side of the lake with their long sticks, as I don't really class that as fishing.

Good day out mate ,shame i missed all your fish..........To late for the first,and had to leave at 5pm so i could get back to sort my kit out for our club Supercup match tomorrow.

quote:
I am now home, crying into my whisky at the dreadful day I have endured with some of you lot.

Uncle Geoff did remark that it made a change to see you sober for such a long length of time.
Good Day.Thanks for comeing.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  12:28:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

just got home stopped for some blackstuff on way will post my version tommorrow on peters other thread.
Now everyone knows
I would NEVER try winding people up about how these welshtry to land these little carp on a rod & line
or make any cracks about the waves the bait rocket made were sinking my float over the other side of the lake
also i would never call uncle geoff or uncle peter, uncle

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Beebs
Life Member

Berkshire
England

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  08:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beebs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Beebs to your friends list

There were a few things that came out of yesterday -

1 - fishing with Mder's is a really good laugh.
2 - Uncle Geoff isn't the ogre he likes us to think he is. (Just ask him about the Welsh Rugby Union cap he asked to borrow off me yesterday. Did anyone get a photo of that?)
3 - Alan P is a wizard on the method feeder.
4 - Laurie is going to make a decent angler (congratulations Alan, he's a nice guy).
5 - I take too much bait.
6 - I have no control over my bait rocket (of 6 pints of hemp, I think only 1/2 pint went into the bit that I was actually fishing).
7 - the Garden Gnomes do actually manage to catch some fish with their sticks.
8 - we'll have to do it again sometime.

Go to Top of Page

Wey Back
Suvern Softee!

Sussex
England

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wey Back's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Wey Back to your friends list

My first MD "get together" started early although the journey is not a long one, so its "into Battle" and up the A21 arriving as instructed by Peter "bright and early for 07:00" early yes, bright you must be kidding.

Elphicks was shrouded in an early morning fog, with no signs of any MDs apparel on those already there I made my way to the agreed venue of Sandwich Lake. It became obvious for the choice as there was the food van! not having been to Elphick's before I was sure the pub would appear when the fog lifted!

So I gathered the gear and headed off and found a swim, set up and started, Alan and his son arrived first finally joined about three hours later by the others who sadly were held up by another accident on the A21.

The lake had an island in the middle where the wildlife could take solice away from the invaders of the peace, wrong! they were under constant bombardment from Beebs and his bait launcher, on occasions receiving on land offerings.

As I was sitting opposite him it was quite disconcerting looking up and seeing this object hurtling my way, at first I thought it was a Bagdad re-inactment society outing, or perhaps it is just some form of initiation on your first MDs event.
Across the island

Peter was well into the Golden Tench and Martin covered more mileage than all of us as he took on the role of weights and measures official, in the end he had two sets on the go.
Make that 2 drams Peter.

Action came in fits and starts but with everyone bagging fish, for some reason the larger ones held their fins up and gave into Beebs.
Anyway while the fish would not feed it was not a problem for us.

Kept them quiet for a while.

The "Pole Position" squad were on the far side of the lake, although there was not a great deal of depth they were certainly taking good fish on a regular basis. Geoff ended up with a good bag of mixed species including this one.

I had a few fish but the best thing was meeting up and enjoying a great day out with fellow MDs in the "Garden of England" renowned for its hop growing and Oast Houses, sadly the pub did not materialise from out of the fog but at least "Uncle Geoff" did

Edited by - Wey Back on 27 April 2003 5:21:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

A great day out by all accounts then

Dave

Dave

Go to Top of Page

dave the fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  4:13:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave the fish to your friends list

Beebs
Are you sure your two carp were not the same fish. I know the second was a bit heavier but that could have been accounted for by it eating a small part of the vast amounts of feed you put in. Anyway werent you fishing for the barbel.
Still well done especially the second one on 2lb line

I will put my interpretation of events on Peters thread.

Dave

Grandad Dave

JINX Squad member 2007 to 2015
Rolfs 100lb+ club member
100+ JINX Club member
MDs Rolfs Pairs Champions 2009
MDS Southern Pairs Champions 2008

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.56 seconds.