The Maggotdrowners Forum - Gamakatsu Super G-line.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Gamakatsu Super G-line.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KevC
LIVERPOOL WANDERER

Merseyside
England

Posted - 28 April 2006 :  10:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit KevC's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add KevC to your friends list
Bought the Gama Super G-line from Harrisons which claimed to got the highest diameter to stain ratio in the market which's 0.14mm / 6.2lb!

well for sure I never expected it really break at that stain but I expect it should be slighty better than the shimano silk shock 0.14 / 5.4lb which I always use.

Ok, first I made a non-sense test, pulled by my hand! Super G-line broke cleanly, my fingers were a bit painful but didn't hurt. Shimano line, cut my fingers and didn't break...

It's time to make some more scientific tests. Both line I tied a figure of 8 loop to the end, then put it on the hook of my scale, my big foot stepped on the spool and pulled slowly until the line broke ! I did that test 3 times and the average readings are as follow,

Shimano broke at 3.6lb
Super G-line broke at 3.2lb

well obviously the readings must not be the exact breaking strain as I didn't test it by accurate machine, but it just can show the shimano silk shock is stronger than the Super G-line.
I SWEAR I WON'T WASTE ANY MONEY TO TRY ANY LINE AND STAY WITH SHIMANO SILK SHOCK!

Edited by - KevC on 28 April 2006 10:23:10 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

andy222
Life Member

Midlands West
England

Posted - 29 April 2006 :  7:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit andy222's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy222 to your friends list
I've been using G-Line for years mate can't fault it. However I hav'nt tried this new stuff.

Intersite Individual Champion 2004.

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list
Yet two more cases of spools with bull**** labels then ? I bet trading standards would love it.

Go to Top of Page

ade125

Midlands West
England

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  9:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ade125's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ade125 to your friends list
I totally agree - I don't know how they're allowed to get away with it. When I first saw "Super" G-Line couldn't wait to give it a try. I had some difficulty finding it locally but a chance visit to a well known company 'up north' paid off. I bought two spools, one 0.10mm quoted at 3.5lbs and one 0.12mm supposedly with a BS of 5.1lbs. My delight soon evaporated however when a quick 'tug test' in the car snapped the 0.10mm like cotton - even without scales it was clear this was nowhere near the 3.5lbs BS quoted. I subsequently set about more detailed testing once I got home.

Using a set a Salter scales (proven accurate to within 2oz)and a specially adapted water bottle I ran several dry tests. The line was wrapped and taped to avoid the use of any knots. Even so, the BEST the 0.10mm could manage was a meagre 1lb13oz. The 0.12mm didn't fair much better breaking a full 2lbs lower than the quoted 5.1lbs.

On the plus side, the line does have a feeling of quality about it. It is very smooth, supple and has good stretch. These facts alone have persuaded me to load up a reel with the 0.12mm and take it out on the local canal. I'm afraid the 0.10mm just didn't inspire the same level of confidence and was unceremoneously despatched to the bin.

Go to Top of Page

frans

Belgium

Posted - 02 June 2006 :  08:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit frans's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add frans to your friends list
The Super G does break a lot easier than Silk Shock and also easier than the normal G Line. There's nothing super about it.

Tight lines

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

adzinderbyshire
Life Member

Posted - 23 August 2006 :  9:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit adzinderbyshire's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add adzinderbyshire to your friends list
i have done similar tests on most hi-tec monos on the market and found silk shock and maver genesis smart to be BY FAR the strongest lines out for their diameters and they both are very close to their stated diameters when checked with an accurate micrometer.

Go to Top of Page

KevC
LIVERPOOL WANDERER

Merseyside
England

Posted - 24 August 2006 :  4:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit KevC's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add KevC to your friends list
Sounds good, the maver genesis is cheap on ebay, 4.5quid for 150m, free delivery! the silk shock is good but bloody expensive.

Go to Top of Page

D Wallace
leo

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 24 August 2006 :  8:43:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D Wallace to your friends list
i use drennan rig line for all my hook lenth's verry strong for diameter.

Go to Top of Page

neal666
Life Member

Teesside

Posted - 24 August 2006 :  10:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit neal666's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add neal666 to your friends list
is it true the perston powerline is one of the worst offenders for false b/s and diameters?

i have been using the drennan rig line which is ok but have just got some WB CLARKE which i have heard is the dog`s.

Edited by - neal666 on 24 August 2006 10:31:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

KevC
LIVERPOOL WANDERER

Merseyside
England

Posted - 25 August 2006 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit KevC's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add KevC to your friends list
quote:
Originally posted by neal666

is it true the perston powerline is one of the worst offenders for false b/s and diameters?

i have been using the drennan rig line which is ok but have just got some WB CLARKE which i have heard is the dog`s.

from the advanced angling time yes! the actual dimeter is 0.02 more than that stated diameter. I don't really like it's so strechy also. I also bought WB CLARKE honesltly don't really like it. The shimano silk shock is still the best.

Go to Top of Page

maxwell_hung
caster blaster

South Yorkshire
Botswana

Posted - 25 August 2006 :  3:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit maxwell_hung's Homepage  Send maxwell_hung a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add maxwell_hung to your friends list
The fact is they pretty much all lie so the best thing to do is find something you like, know it's strengths and limits and that does a job for you and stick with it.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

stikflote
Life Member

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
England

caught owt

Posted - 23 March 2007 :  11:31:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stikflote to your friends list
ost my line is daiwa sensor on all my reels ,but i use preston power on my pole rigs no probs, did use some silk shock for hook lenghs but didnt like it

the wettest drought in history
Go to Top of Page

strat2
Life Member

Australia

Posted - 28 March 2007 :  6:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see strat2's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add strat2 to your friends list
to be honest the new super G line kinks very easy and i prefer to use powerline on the rod hook links and fox micron on the pole... even though i have maver extreme,drennan, berkley, middy, garbolino and silstar

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

cess monkey
Life Member

East Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 30 April 2007 :  11:30:27 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cess monkey to your friends list
I used to use trabucco diamond for rigs and hooklengths but when my local shop stopped stocking it i switched to silk shock and i can`t fault it.
As maxwell said , find a line you like and stick with it.

Go to Top of Page

maxwell_hung
caster blaster

South Yorkshire
Botswana

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  09:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit maxwell_hung's Homepage  Send maxwell_hung a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add maxwell_hung to your friends list
cess never used the diamond that's available in this country but I use diamond race for my rigs which comes on 1000mtr spools. You can get it from here -> http://pianetapesca.it/show-bin/sho...aPg8o0dzO0bl

If you ever get any email them regarding postage, they will do a cheaper postage option but don't put it on the site. I haven't bought any from these yet though, I haven't run out of my other stock yet :)

Go to Top of Page

deleted
Life Member

Site Supporter

England

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deleted to your friends list
I'm with you cess monkey. I too used to use Trabucco Diamond. The Silk Shock, however, totally eclipses it as it is of similar diameter and reliability but has no memory at all.

Edited by - deleted on 01 May 2007 11:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

strat2
Life Member

Australia

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  6:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see strat2's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add strat2 to your friends list
its knot stength too guys that weakens it ! u can actually test the bs of a line cuz u either have to tie it or squeeze it to grip this weakens it!

i use power line for my rod hl and cant fault it its strong and breaks above the stated strain!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Benji
Account Locked

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  07:18:56 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Benji to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by strat2

its knot stength too guys that weakens it ! u can actually test the bs of a line cuz u either have to tie it or squeeze it to grip this weakens it!

I know you say can, but the way it reads it looks like a typing mistake, as it reads more along the lines of a can not statement.

So how do the suppliers test it, you have to hold in some manner for it to be tested to give it its breaking strain, or is this purely a calculated value?

Go to Top of Page

hicko1
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hicko1's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hicko1 to your friends list
I have found that powerline is of a much larger diameter than whats stated on the spool though

Go to Top of Page

adzinderbyshire
Life Member

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  10:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit adzinderbyshire's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add adzinderbyshire to your friends list
i have tested all trabucco lines and not impressed at all. Silk shock is still number 1, with maver genesis a close 2nd. Preston powerline does have a use as it is very abrasion resistant which suits heavy duty bagging with thicker diameters but as mentioned it is 0.02mm thicker than stated diameters.

The lines i am yet to test are: the new maver genesis 2 and the new garboline.
if anybody has used them and can compare them with silk shock or original genesis i would be very interested to hear about it!

Go to Top of Page

Useless
Life Member

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Useless to your friends list
It's a limited selection but if you want to know how certain brands of line perform check out this website...

http://www.eftta.com/english/line_t...492489148453

Myself I'm currently using the ETTA approved Waku Stroft for all my fishing. I like it, it can be a tad thicker than stated but it's good stuff and does everything I need it to, but having seen the results again I'll definitely be having a look at the 'Korum reel line'. In the grand scheme of things I suppose 'Silk Shock' fairs quite well. The diameter is quite accurate but it does break below it's stated strength. As for 'Trabucco Super Elite', Jeez, how embarrassing is that for the manufacturer?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.14 seconds.