The Maggotdrowners Forum - Fat specimen fish
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Fat specimen fish
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Useless
Life Member

Posted - 05 October 2005 :  10:37:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Useless to your friends list

Is it just me that thinks these fish look grotesque? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but how anyone can think a fish like the 51lb 2oz mirror carp with it's belly nearly dragging on the floor on the front of the Angling Times UK CARP supplement is beautiful is beyond me. It's that fat it's a wonder it can swim! Given thechoice who would you rather look at, Bella Emberg or a page 3 model???

It's not just carp either, it's the same with tench and barbel. I don't know if it directly affects the fishes health and well being, but if you ask me a few bait bans and bait limits are in order before they become so fat they explode!

Bite alarms, bivvies, no keepnets on man made match carp lakes??? Yer having a laugh aren't yer?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Shakeyjc
!S*H*A*K*E*Y!

Lancashire
England

Posted - 05 October 2005 :  10:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shakeyjc's Homepage  Click to see Shakeyjc's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Shakeyjc to your friends list

Supersize me. Hehe.
The fish obesity problem.
It's all the fast junk food that's doing it (pellets, boilies, etc).
Maggots are better for health lol.

Shakey
http://www.freewebs.com/questforcarp
http://www.maggotdrowning.com/test/...?FileID=1473

Go to Top of Page

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 06 October 2005 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list

Interesting one this. For carpies, weight is everything; therefore, physical appearance counts for less than good looks. Having said that, I've caught some truly beautiful carp that were an absolute sensation to cradle in my arms and for which their size was irrelevant - I'm thinking of fully scaled mirrors, pristine commons, those sorts of fish.

Big carp are something else compared to the lesser fish; unless you have had the experience of trying to lift a fish so heavy you can barely get it off the ground and been in awe of the majesty of the thing it's difficult to describe the attraction.

It's not so much what they weigh, or even how they look - it's more the fact of being in the presence of one of Nature's wonderful creatures, and if you are into carp, very big carp are truly awesome!

"Trying, is the first step towards Failure!" - Homer Simpson

Go to Top of Page

darrengeorge
speci-ish

Hereford & Worcester

Posted - 06 October 2005 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darrengeorge to your friends list

Nicely put

regards, Darren

Go to Top of Page

carper chris
[SH]Cyprin0

Sussex
England

Posted - 07 October 2005 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit carper chris's Homepage  Click to see carper chris's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add carper chris to your friends list

hear, hear!

Fishing: More fun than ripping off a chav's arm and beating him up with the wet end

one down, a few billion to go...

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Useless
Life Member

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  01:44:37 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Useless to your friends list

A mighty fine answer Hattie that had me nodding in agreement for a moment or two. But, doesn't it bother people that the fish have been artificially force fed like lambs to the slaughter to get that heavy? And just out of curiosity, because I've not seen much written about the subject, just what exactly is that flabby mess made up of? Is it edible flesh, fat or something similar, or 10 kilos of undigested boilies? More importantly though, is it bad for the fishes health???

Bite alarms, bivvies, no keepnets on man made match carp lakes??? Yer having a laugh aren't yer?

Go to Top of Page

Big Mik
Life Member

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Big Mik's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Big Mik to your friends list

its probably the same silicine implants most of the page three models have !
LOL

Go to Top of Page

Skelly
Life Member

Northumberland
England

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Skelly's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Skelly to your friends list

If a dog/cat owner fed their pets to such an obese level as some 'specimen' fish are,
the RSPCA would probably prosecute. In a human it is classed as having an illness.
"For carpies, weight is everything"
Both in fish and fishermen!

Go to Top of Page

Carp-Freeek
' Shorty '

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carp-Freeek's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Carp-Freeek to your friends list

yes but in humans when we eat alot do we add fat or muscle? Fat. fat can make you slow blah blah etc. In a fish it's mostly muscle and guts. I don't think I've held a carp and my hand sinking into fat. it's only carp anglers that feed like this. in coarse fishing = filling it in means a tin of corn straight away. in Carp angling = filling it in means 50 kilos of boilies over 2 days. then barbed size 6 hooks and three rods over the area. so who's to blame for these fat fish? I'd say it's time a 5 kilo bait limit in all types of fishing, there's no need for anymore

I Love Roach More than Carp!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

The percher
Bolton 'till I die

Lancashire
England

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  7:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit The percher's Homepage  Click to see The percher's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add The percher to your friends list

whats barbed size 6 hooks got anything to do with it?
I don't want to turn this into another commercial vs carp fishing arguement, but carp freeks comments are very one sided and naive. you argue that in "coarse fishing" (I didn't know fishing for carp had ceased to come under this category), you never 'fill in' waters, well how about the guys who stick in 12 tins of catmeat in a match, if all of them do that you can't tell me that isn't going to do any damage? I know thats an extreme case but so was you're point about carpers sticking in 50 kilos of boilies over 2 days- because not many do that ( or have the money to do so).

Thats wizard is that!

Go to Top of Page

Big Mik
Life Member

Posted - 08 October 2005 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Big Mik's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Big Mik to your friends list

its gonna blow it self up this post.

is there a split within fishing? carp / coarse?

is this the beginning of a recognition that mass bait may or may not be a good thing?

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 09 October 2005 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list

I've got to come back in here.

There is a popular misconception that most (or even the majority) of carpies use several kilos of bait every time they go fishing; well, yes - and no.

On most UK waters, heavy baiting just does not yield the results it used to; the fish have 'wised up' to the big beds of bait and tend to avoid them as danger areas therefore carpies now use other tactics like two or three bait stringers and/or in conjunction with feed pellets (which also get eaten by everything else).

It's an inherent body-shape thing; most (if not all) non-carpies have no knowledge of the different body shapes and physiologies of different carp strains.

Ropsha - Very long, lean looking fish (commons), widespread in french river systems. These fish never look 'fat' unless dropsied.

Galician - The famous strain imported by Leney. Can look almost circular on occasions.

Dinkelsbuehl (or 'Dinks') - Very fat shape with huge rounded scales; stocked in Dorchester Lagoon.

Aischgrund - from the River Aisch in Bavaria. Incredibly high, arched back.

Royale - Grow to very large size and are characterized by distinctive 'humpy' shoulders.

and many others. For information on different carp strains, read Hughes and Crow "Strategic Carp Fishing", The Crowood Press.

The point is, carp do not get to be fifty and sixty pounds (and more importantly stay that weight) by eating boilies alone. It is true that boilies are a significant part of the food chain but they are not the be all and end all. 'Two Tone' is one of only a handful of fish in Conningbroook. Do you know Conningbrook? It is absolutely 'chocker' with weed and all kinds of carp grub. In france, where carp grow to colossal sizes much bigger than in the UK, Mussels and Crayfish provide the protein upon which carp bulk up.

Do you know how much a carp can eat in a day?..........No, neither do I, but I have recently sat on a lake in france and watched a bloke with a bait boat feed tens of kilos of boilies to the fish in front of him. He caught at the start of the week and was still catching when it was time to go home; I have no doubt they would have continued to eat everything he dumped on them - and they were eating it because they were cr*pping it out in the landing-net when he landed them - and that's the point - it's not necessarily what a carp eats, but whether what is eaten is digestible, and whether it is converted into body mass or not. Everything that passes out obviously has no effect.

There is a lot of rot written about boilies by anglers who are acknowleged as 'experts' when in reality, their claims are dubious at best. I'm willing to lay money that boilies have less of a nutritional influence than they make out - it just makes more commercial sense to pretend that they do however because there is a lot of dosh to be made out of selling boilies.

It is high time we got rid of this carp angler bad - match/pleasure angler good syndrome. It does nobody any good. Respect each others skills for what they are - different.

Oh sorry - I'm talking about RESPECT - something that most anglers know bugger-all about these days........

"Trying, is the first step towards Failure!" - Homer Simpson

Go to Top of Page

Zapatista
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 09 October 2005 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Zapatista's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Zapatista to your friends list

Well said! I agree absolutely that body shape is primarily down to the particular strain of carp in question, but it's also worth noting that at this time of year carp are "bulking up" ready for winter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.59 seconds.