The Maggotdrowners Forum - Leeda assassin 15-17ft float rod
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Leeda assassin 15-17ft float rod
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boots_n_braces
fishing eccentric

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 16 September 2005 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit boots_n_braces's Homepage  Click to see boots_n_braces's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this topic Add boots_n_braces to your friends list
After playing aorund with different sized "super" rods for fishing the stick long range and to give me the edge with wagglers on the lakes i came to a few conclusions:

The 14ft rods are pointless, there not long enough for any extra gain but there long enough to get in the way in smaller swims. so no gains for more hassle here.

The 20 ft rods were awsome to use but had massivley limited capabilitys in small swims which meant you either ended up having to get the platform out to get away from trees etc or ship it out like a pole lol And theres very few times youl need such a massive length (ooh err)

Most of these rods are top of the range made preston and the like and are out of reach of us mear mortals and just arent worth it unless your a heavy match man and likely to use it very regularly.

Then i stumbled across a rod, variable length from 15ft to 17, Cheap at only 40 quid and ive used leedas "commercial range alot and most of it gives the top of the range gear a run for its money.

First impressions were great the rod looked good, felt extremley light for such a length and had the same awsome action the concept rods had that allow a fight from a roach to feel like your using a light match rod, yet land double figure carp with confidence. And yes it does bend right through to the butt like the concepts which looks amazing on such a long rod

The finish on the blank could be a bit better, the carbon wrap is smooth to rub one way but rough like a perches scales the other way. Not sure if it was designed that way or not?!?! Any way its not for tackle tarts it does what is says on the tin and very well.

Out on the river float control is outstanding and the extra length takes the risk out of getting snagged fishing far margins etc and on thin sections of river you can place your bait under a tree like it was a pole The added length means light floats can be cast that extra distance without having to use a bigger less sensitive float.

On my local pit perfomance was just as good, handling everything from baggin wagglers, to tiny 2 no4 peacock spot wagglers. The grat thing about it is just how far you can lob tiny light floats. Even if you justflick the rig out from your hand youve got double the rods length in distance (10 metres) with no disturbance, no soft baits flying off and no thrashing the water to death when you fall short on casts.

The extra leverage the rod gives you over fish going for snags is always usefull and its easier to get fish up in the water away from weeds quickly.

Line rating of 3-6lb but as usual leeda underated themselves and ive had no problems catching decent tench, bream and roach on 2lb straight through, or 10lb when i steped up for fishing a snaggy river swim.

Unfortunately Leeda have now discontinued this rod (poss the assasin range) but theres still plenty kicking about just make sure you order one over the fone so you can check if ones in stock first. No doubt leeda will be back with another range of the same rods with a few cosmetic improvements so not to many worries if you cant get 1 straight away.

So overall for 40 quid its THE best buy in my time fishing and itl be with me for a long time, should be getting it re eyed with fuji sic's in a few weeks so god knows how far itl cast then

Tight lines

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

bsmith

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 November 2005 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bsmith's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bsmith to your friends list

I've been using one for over a year now and I am impressed, even had carp to 12+lb on it

Bob

If it looks and feels right then your catch fish

Go to Top of Page

maxwell_hung
caster blaster

South Yorkshire
Botswana

Posted - 03 November 2005 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit maxwell_hung's Homepage  Send maxwell_hung a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add maxwell_hung to your friends list
I bought one myself a couple of months ago for 30.

I got it to compliment the Daiwa S Match 17-20 I have. The Daiwa is great but it's a struggle to land bigger fish when using it (very, very hard if used at 20')

The assassin was bought so I could fish for bigger fish at longer lengths. The rod feel strong but still has a good through action and can cope with bigger fish and light hooklengths without being too strong as to snap the hooklength. Saying that it still handles well with smaller roach and skimmers.

If you can still find one, they really are worth the money. If fact probably worth a lot more.

Go to Top of Page

willow
Life Member

Merseyside

Posted - 07 November 2005 :  09:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit willow's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add willow to your friends list
I read somewhere they were unbalanced and heavy, is this true? as I want a rod of similar length for the rivers so must be light to hold for long periods and strong enough to land decent sized fish.

Edited by - willow on 07 November 2005 11:16:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

deleted
Life Member

Site Supporter

England

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deleted to your friends list
I've got the 13'-15' as a second medium waggler and I'm very pleased at the price (39). It's not as light or slim as more expensive rods but it has a vey good action.

N Rayner

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

bsmith

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  2:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit bsmith's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bsmith to your friends list
quote:
Originally posted by willow

I read somewhere they were unbalanced and heavy, is this true? as I want a rod of similar length for the rivers so must be light to hold for long periods and strong enough to land decent sized fish.

It seems that no matter what you buy some one will rubbish it, for value for money they are great rods and as of yet have never let me down and I do a considerable amount of fishing on commercial lakes.

If you are happy with a 13/14 foot rod look at the Shimano rods as they seem to me to be unbeatable for the money, I use a Catana Match Rod for my closer work, and it feels great to use.

But for the longer rod you will go a long way to beat the assassin, although another good rod combination from Leeda is the ZOO CREATURE DRAYTON FLOAT / METHOD FEEDER you can pick these up for less than 50 and the feeder is terrific, it will handle most things you throw at it.

Bob

If it looks and feels right then your catch fish

Go to Top of Page

Paul Elliott

Essex
England

Posted - 12 November 2005 :  3:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Elliott's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Paul Elliott to your friends list
Hi guys, is this Assasin rod similar to the Zoo creature in action etc?

I have used the Zoo creature for trotting but I was after something with a bit more 'welly' as I find the rod a bit too soft.

cheers

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.09 seconds.