The Maggotdrowners Forum - A week at Docklow Pools
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Bait Talk
 A week at Docklow Pools
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mermaid
Calamity Lin

Site Supporter

Bedfordshire
England

Chomping at the bit to get out there fishing!

My Photo Album

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Mermaid to your friends list
I've just come back from a week's holiday at Docklow Pools with my hubby and just thought someone might be interested in an overview of the site.

I'll go through the accomodation, tackle shop, restarant and pub first and then get to the lakes.

Accomodation
There are various accomodation on site ranging from bed & breakfast, cottages, mews apartments and log cabins.

We stayed in one of the Log Cabins which was nicely d******ed and was equipped with cooker, fridge (no icebox) cooker, microwave.

Outside the cabin is a lock-up for bait and tackle.

The log cabin was a couple of minute walk from the on site bait shop and pub, and (very conveniently for the pub) the walk back was all downhill! - A word of warning, don't get too boozed as the way back is unlit. - Take a torch if your night vision isn't too great after you've had a few.

Bait & Tackle Shop
Most equipment and bait available, prices overall fairly comprable with most tackle shops. For certain baits such as caster it's best to phone and reserve to ensure it's available when you arrive. The use of some baits are banned on the Docklow lakes* such as groundbait, hemp and pellets although this was a bit of a worry at first, this was very quickly dispelled as all you really need is a good supply of luncheon meat and sweet corn which is sold very cheaply in the bait shop.

The opening times for the bait shop when I was there was 8am - 12 Noon, although the opening times lengthen as the holiday season really gets underway.

I found the advice offered by the guys in the tackle shop was good - when asked- but on speaking to the regulars and syndicate members advice on tactics, pegs and tips was freely given was very helpful indeed.

Restaurant
Unfortunately the only night I booked for a meal they cocked-up so we went into Leominster at 9pm at night and ate out there.

We did however have a breakfast there on the morning we left and it was excellent value for a fiver. I was still full by evening!

Pub
Full of photos and memorabilia. Sells most beer brands and spirits.

There is entertainment once a week. There's also a snooker room.

Matches
The lakes can be booked for matches and details of these are shown at the tackle shop. - Shame they don't also show these in the bar so that you can plan for the following day when you are wetting your gills with your favourite tipple!

Rules
There are some rules that apply to certain lakes only - such as methods allowed i.e. float only etc., but main ones are as follows:
Barbless hooks only, No hemp, No groundbait, No pellet, No catmeat, No keepnets- unless in a match* obviously- No live baiting, No fixed bolt rigs, No quicksilver braids, No sacks, Hook length to be less than the main line, No lead core.

*There is a resident's match once a week. Entry Fee 5 per person.

You can use boilies, and deadbaits.

Night fishing: Once you've paid your fishing permit for the week (40 for 2 Rods) there's nothing else to pay. I think there's a maximum stay of 48hrs in the same swim but you might want to check on this.

Fish - Condition
Excellent and they fight like stink!!

Lakes
There are 9 lakes in total, and they all look pretty good. There are parking areas adjacent to most lakes which can save on having to lug your equipment too far.

I'll keep to the one's I've fished as these are the one's I have knowledge of.

Moby Dick
This lake has carp to over 20lb, bream, chub, roach, rudd, and barbel. Caught a lot of small carp mainly 5-7lb on maggot, luncheon meat and sweetcorn. Most fun was had fairly close in over a bed of sweetcorn fishing a quivertip on light tackle.

Mickey Mouse
Lots and lots of chub in this lake and they'll take anything! Caught some barbel and carp but mostly chub. - great fun!

Major Bill - Specimen Lake
Carp to mid 20's, catfish to 55lb's, Grass Carp. - I managed to catch a 16lb catfish on lamprey deadbait, and various carp to 17lb using source and fismeal boilies.

Farmer Jack
Caught carp 5 - 7lb fairly close in mostly on luncheon meat.

Verdict:
Overall, the fishing was very good and I would seriousy consider going again sometime in the future.

I hope this helps.

Tight Lines!

Linda

Edited by - Mermaid on 17 May 2005 4:41:03 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.12 seconds.