The Maggotdrowners Forum - bala lake
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Venue Advice and Information
 bala lake
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manta

United Kingdom

Posted - 08 October 2002 :  5:42:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add manta to your friends list
hello fellow anglers, has anyone ever fished bala lake, i have got a coarse match on there in the near future but have never fished it. the match is on the railway embankment side of the lake. i have been told it is mainly feeder fishing with a grounbait feeder & castor as bait, a 60 yard chuck , braided line on reel & strike at anything. what puzzles me is, when i went to see the lake, there was a sign that read "danger, deep and cold water, 100ft deep 20 yards out", this is meant to warn swimmers of the dangers, but it tells me not to chuck a feeder out 60 yards, i was also told that there were grayling to be caught close in with a maggot approach. any advice would be very much appreciated indeed.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

andrewellis

Cheshire
England

Posted - 14 October 2002 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit andrewellis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andrewellis to your friends list
Haven't fished it for a few years. It was red maggot and red groundbait chucked as far as you can. You are fishing for roach, mainly 6oz to 12oz. The grayling can be caught on the pole now and then, but are too hit and miss to target. A slight wind turns into a howler on there, so be prepared for the wind to get up, fishing in a gentle ripple is not common. The best pegs are where you go on, especially by the life belt. You will be fishing further up the lake than where you looked and its not as deep. TELL EVERYBODY NOT TO CATAPULT ANY BALLS OF GROUNDBAIT OUT. EVEN THOUGH ITS A DEEP WATER IT KILLS IT.

Go to Top of Page

Trevski
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 October 2002 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trevski's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trevski to your friends list
Hi, I fished the lake about a month ago and Andrew is
100% spot on regarding the wind. Youch!

There were a few fishing and the majority of fish taken
were Perch on a maggot feeder at about 30 yards.

Watch out for the pike though! I lost two fish whilst
fishing there earlier this year.

<edit>Whoops. Nearly forgot, all my fish were caught on
hair rigged caster + caster on the hook. Seemed to be the
only thing catching on the day</edit>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it were this simple...

Edited by - Trevski on 14 October 2002 1:03:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

manta

United Kingdom

Posted - 16 October 2002 :  07:57:52 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manta to your friends list
thanks goes to andrewellis & Treski for the bala lake info, i will definitely try red grounbait & red maggot on the hook, i have also been told not to put maggots in the feeder on the furthest line cos the maggots crawl down under the rocks & preoccupy any feeding roach, therefore use just caster in the grounbait feeder, i will let you know what happened, manta.

Go to Top of Page

manta

United Kingdom

Posted - 28 October 2002 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manta to your friends list
fished bala 2 weeks ago, only 10 turned up, only 5lb won match, i had 31/2lb but was quite happy, very deep & clear water & yes the wind did get up, & yes everyone had pike takes during the match. one roach was 1lb-4oz, there are some very nice fish to be caught in very scenic surroundings.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jase Jennings

Midlands West
N. Ireland

Posted - 02 January 2003 :  12:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jase Jennings's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Jase Jennings to your friends list
Hi,

I've been reading this post with interest as I'm on holiday in Wales with the in-laws for a week in January (4th - 11th). We're staying in Maerdy which appears to be around 10 miles away from Lake Bala.

My prey will be Pike and it sounds as though there are plenty in there.

1) Are they mainly Jack ?
2) Where were you fishing ? Any features i can use to locate the area of the lake, other than it's the railway side. (It's 4 miles long!).
3) Where do i buy a permit, at the lake or at a tackle shop ?

Any other info would be much appreciated. I appreciate I'm not a maggot drowner, but I'll try and keep the Pike occupied for you :)

If you're reading this and your a pike angler at Bala, maybe you could give me some pointers on bait and location ? Or maybe there are better lakes in the locality than Bala for esox lucius ?

Thanks

Jase

Go to Top of Page

Trogg
the troggfather

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
England

On the 8th day the goddess created heavy metal!!

Posted - 02 January 2003 :  12:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Trogg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trogg to your friends list
You could always try Trawsfynydd lake just follow the A4212 from Bala.

I don't know whether they do day tickets anymore but i used to "guest" it when i worked the fairs & we did Bala or Dolgellau on our way to Morfa Backen.

The locals reckon there's ome really big fish in there due to the Nuke plant pumping water into it.

I can't remember when but a few years back a massive mirror carp washed up dead on the shore & they reckoned it was around 45/50lb mark.

Can anyone else remember that?

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

for the love of god DO NOT click THIS don't do it, just don't, i mean it!!!
....Facebook MD's....
Go to Top of Page

Trevski
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 January 2003 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trevski's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trevski to your friends list
quote:
Originally posted by Jase Jennings

Hi,

I've been reading this post with interest as I'm on holiday in Wales with the in-laws for a week in January (4th - 11th). We're staying in Maerdy which appears to be around 10 miles away from Lake Bala.

My prey will be Pike and it sounds as though there are plenty in there.

1) Are they mainly Jack ?
2) Where were you fishing ? Any features i can use to locate the area of the lake, other than it's the railway side. (It's 4 miles long!).
3) Where do i buy a permit, at the lake or at a tackle shop ?

Any other info would be much appreciated. I appreciate I'm not a maggot drowner, but I'll try and keep the Pike occupied for you :)

If you're reading this and your a pike angler at Bala, maybe you could give me some pointers on bait and location ? Or maybe there are better lakes in the locality than Bala for esox lucius ?

Thanks

Jase

Ok, here goes...

1. No. One came up to the "pier" we were fishing off after i'd had
two fish snaffled, probably to gloat, and turned and rolled a few
times around the bay we were in before idling away. It was a twenty,
at least. BIG fish.

2. We fished the railway side. There is a national trust car park and a
path across the railway about halfway up the lake. Parkup there and
cross the line to a small bay with a stone beach. The "pier" is a
50 foot long piece of knackered concrete on your left.
We were there until around lunch, where we saw the pike and got the
two snaffled. We then drove around to the other side.
If you drive through Bala and then past the visitor centre, about 1/2
a mile on the left is a car park. There is a path here down through
a small meadow and down to the lakeside. There are some good swims
down here but you have to watch out for the trees behind you.
ps. We got out tickets from the visitor centre. I don't think there
are machines at the other car parks mentioned.

3. Fishing is paid for at the parking meter. Good init? For all activities
(ok, not all ) you just shove in the amount stated on the board
and carry the ticket with you.

On the other point, I'd be very interested about pike fishing info
in the Bala area also.

Cheers, Trevski.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.47 seconds.