The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 22)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 22)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 February 2005 :  9:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Peter to your friends list

Another new thread in the continuing saga that Malc's original thread has turned into.

"Where you fished today (Part 22)".

With the nights starting to draw out and Spring, hopefully just around the corner, I hope that the reports to come may persuade some of you to brush the cobwebs off of the tackle and venture out and get back on the bankside.

Parts 1 - 21 have now topped in excess 2000 posts,
So,if you are looking for a bit of inspiration or even a good laugh, it's all there somewhere.

Here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

Part 15

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 ,4

Part 16

Part 17

Part 18

Part 19

Part 20

Part 21

So there they all are, If you have the time, take a look through them. They are a mine of information, covering venues from one end of the country to another, and some from even further afield.
So if you're new, bored or just want to refresh a few memories, have a read of the previous reports and then lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better as oversize photos take an age to load for those on a Dial-up connection.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 March 2005 :  05:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list

Monday, 14th.March 2005

I decided to have a change from trying to catch a big Bream from Bysing Wood and had a day on the pole.

Elphick’s Fishery, Horsmonden, Prairie Lake

The swim I chose was opposite the island where I had options to fish on the feeder should things not work out.
As usual, the carpet put down by the owners gave the impression of fishing indoors – outdoors if you know what I mean! This carpet is ‘Astroturf’ I understand and was salvaged from a football ground. Anyway, although there were light winds early on, the wind got up considerably and it was decidedly chilly, a fleece and top coat being required against the elements. We haven’t got rid of winter yet by a long way; how different I remember to some back-end season sessions when bright sunshine and shirtsleeves have been the order of the day.

I began by potting-in four balls of groundbait
– a mixture of ‘Sillybait Black’ and ‘Green Swim Stim’; this was introduced by means of the pot with a few red maggots for good measure, the red maggots I intended to use as hookbait in ‘twos’.

Things were a little slow to start and I began to have my doubts as to whether I had made the right choice of venue – I had heard bad reports of Elphick’s, disease and poor fish condition figuring heavily in criticism of the place; this opinion was supported by the presence of a dead ten pound Catfish in the margins a couple of pegs to my right and two or three dead roach covered in fungus floating through my swim during the day. I stuck it out though and I am able to report that the fish I caught were all healthy and in good condition.

Red maggots were catapulted over the groundbait at regular intervals and eventually I began getting bites – very slow tentative affairs, the float barely dipping down, the lift of the pole either not connecting or only ‘bumping’ fish. Constant feeding however induced confidence amongst the fish and I began to get a constant stream of skimmers, all within the half to one pound range. I also got a handy Roach of about eight ounces thrown in for good measure.

Presently, another angler arrived and asked if he could set up in the peg next door but one; at first I thought he was a bit of a ‘Nodbo’, his quivertip and rather inept attempts at casting a heavily laden feeder out towards the island providing (unkind) entertainment for a short while before he got himself sorted out and was placing bait consistently in the same area. My deprecation turned to admiration as he started catching one carp after another! His tactics were very interesting, more of which later.

I decided to have a change of bait, the skimmers having now taken up residence in the peg now appearing to queue up for the opportunity to visit my landing-net. A single grain of corn was now my proffered option, accompanied by further balls of groundbait; although it was cold and conditions were decidedly wintery, the Bream were obviously ‘having it’ and over-feeding seemed not an issue. This change brought an instant response in the form of a Tench,

followed soon after by a much better stamp of Bream. All these fish were well over the pound and a half and I had four fish during the day of four pounds each.

With corn definitely sorting out the better fish, and further introductions of groundbait stimulating the actions I began to amass a fair net of fish. However, I couldn’t ignore the chap two pegs along to my left who was catching carp one after the other! I stuck things out with corn for quite a while in the hope of bagging one or two myself but it was not to be – the fish were plainly laying far out from the bank, out of pole range, so I stopped fishing and went along to see how the chap was fishing.

A regular on the lake, he had developed his style of fishing after many months of frustration and trying. I suggested that perhaps quivertipping might be the way to go rather than swingtip, but he was of the opinion that bites from the Prairie carp were so shy and their sensitivity to the resistance so acute, it was very difficult to get any takes. Hooklengths had to be extremely fine, and hook sizes very small to even get a bite; so rig-shy were the fish.

I decided to go back and have a go myself and test his assertion, and set up an open-ended feeder and my ‘John Wilson’ with a fine tip. Bait was a single grain of corn and I cast out to a position only a few metres to the right of my neighbour; almost as soon as the feeder had settled I began getting little knocks and taps on the tip. It seemed as if he was right – not a positive bite did I get – although I tried striking at these miniscule indications, I got nothing and wasted a frustrating couple of hours, chopping and changing things around in an effort to get a decent bite. I have never come across such tackle-shy carp and one day I shall return to try and sort them out – for the day however, I went back on the pole, the swim now having been ‘rested’.

Further introductions of loose feed and groundbait continued to produce a steady stream of fish. Every time I went back on the double red maggot, the proverbial skimmers snaffled them up and in the end I stuck with the corn which began to produce some small carp along with the good Bream. Just before packing-up I hooked into a ‘lump’. This fish shot off like a train, pulling several metres of elastic from the top set and I had to attach all spare sections to stay in touch – my first experience of hanging on to the ‘Maver Encounter’ with all thirteen metres on.

This fish turned out to be an exquisite ‘linear’ mirror with a most unusual colouration. Undoubtedly a former ‘Monk Lake’ resident it had the typical ornamental signature of all Riverfield Carp Farm progeny. I was delighted with this my last fish of the day; although cold and sometimes bitter, I’d had great value for my seven and a half quid and I shall definitely be returning to try and sort out those shy carp.

Still rambling...

http://uk.geocities.com/carpyhatworld/
Updated weekly (weakly?!)
http://uk.geocities.com/stillspreadbury/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.36 seconds.