The Maggotdrowners Forum - double bulking for (mostly) bream
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 double bulking for (mostly) bream
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulk66
Life Member

Site Supporter

Dorset
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2013 :  3:34:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add paulk66 to your friends list
when double bulking is there a rule of thumb for the % of the float capacity that should make up the lower bulk. i will be fishing around 8-9ft deep. or is it just a case of changing it until the bites are more positive/easier to read? usually with an 0.75 float, i will opt for 0.20 as my lower bulk and set it so the bulk is about 2 inches off bottom, therefore i have about 4 inches laying on the deck..

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

alfie
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2013 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alfie to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by paulk66

when double bulking is there a rule of thumb for the % of the float capacity that should make up the lower bulk. i will be fishing around 8-9ft deep. or is it just a case of changing it until the bites are more positive/easier to read? usually with an 0.75 float, i will opt for 0.20 as my lower bulk and set it so the bulk is about 2 inches off bottom, therefore i have about 4 inches laying on the deck..

At least 2 number 10 for the bottom bulk and normally about 2 inch from the deck. That will give you a good indication. Probably better going at least 1 gram float though as I think .75 is a bit small. Preferably 1.5g for 8 ft

Go to Top of Page

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 19 July 2013 :  8:50:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
Why's that Alfie? For stillwater fishing in no (or low) wind I'd be happy with 0.4g or 0.5g and 0.75g, a heavier rig means more inertia & impacts bite indication.

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

Fred Davis
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 19 July 2013 :  9:46:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fred Davis to your friends list
I think that with the double bulk method especially when bagging on bream and skimmers a lot of the bites will be lift bites and a one gram plus float gets the rig down quick and does not get waffed around like a light float does. In fact the tactic of using a 1.5 gram float in around five foot of water is so successful at venues like Stafford moor (as explained in the video by Stafford moor regular john "silvers"
Green)and at lake John that I find I am constantly making floats for my mates especially made for this purpose. If I get a moment I'll post a picture of them it will give you an idea of what to look for.

Go to Top of Page

alfie
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2013 :  11:09:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alfie to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Hatman

Why's that Alfie? For stillwater fishing in no (or low) wind I'd be happy with 0.4g or 0.5g and 0.75g, a heavier rig means more inertia & impacts bite indication.

When fishing for lift bites for skimmers its best with an extra long bristle, the first bulk takes the float just past the body of the float and the 2nd bulk takes the bristle down to about 1/4 inch. If you do this with a .5g conventional rig the 2nd bulk would take your bristle under.
Your looking for either a half inch lift bite or the float will bury. Very positive way of fishing for hungry skimmers :-)

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

grey
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 20 July 2013 :  01:04:20 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grey to your friends list
For bream (I assume you mean bronze), there's no rule of thumb as such Paul.

What you're aiming to achieve for bream is (first and foremost) is to present a stabile bait, and be able to read the bites - which means a stabile float also. You may get away with .75g float in still conditions, but I'd think of upping to a 1 - 1.5g or more if conditions demand. A light float will not offer any advantage as it's the second bulk that you'll be reading.

Use the main bulk to get the bait down fast, and the second (as long as it registers on the float) should be as light as you can get away with - so that could be a couple of no.10 or 8s or 6s - depends on conditions and float choice.

I think the amount required on the deck is variable; I start short and lengthen if necessary. I have no problem putting shot 2 inches from the hook (if it works on the day) as it leads to reading the bites quicker.

Go to Top of Page

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 20 July 2013 :  06:48:47 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
I've fished lift bite rigs using this principle a lot, although mostly in shallower water, but haven't found a problem using normal floats for the depth, using smallish droppers for the indications rather than a bulk. I can see that it's something I need to try!

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

paulk66
Life Member

Site Supporter

Dorset
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 July 2013 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulk66 to your friends list
thanks for the replies guys. a few things there for me to try out...when this heat lets up for a few days!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fred Davis
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 20 July 2013 :  9:35:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fred Davis to your friends list
As promised a picture of the float I make for a few mates which is very similar to the pattern used at both Stafford moor and lake John, I make them from sizes from .7 of a gram to 2,5g. Judging by the frequent requests to make a few more they obviously work alright

However the critical things to look for are stability this float has a 1mm fibreglass stem a tapering body from base to tip and a long two tone bristle, in fact some of the lads doctor the floats even further by just colouring the top of the tip black as it amplifies any small lifts.

Edited by - Fred Davis on 20 July 2013 9:40:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

grey
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 21 July 2013 :  12:13:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grey to your friends list
That looks spot on Fred. I used to make my floats with wire stems to achieve ultimate stability, but for 90% of the work, wire is unnecessary (and does carry other problems such as 'float-dance' when shipping in/out). Fibreglass stems makes a better float.

What material do you make the tip made from?

Go to Top of Page

Fred Davis
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 21 July 2013 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fred Davis to your friends list
Thanks Grey, the tip is just hollow bristle in 1.5mm diameter, In fact you can buy long lengths of bristle and just paint it in the different colours required, or alternatively use hollow yellow and then hollow red as I have done with this float.

Edited by - Fred Davis on 21 July 2013 10:51:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Towpath Tyke
aka J S-B

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 21 July 2013 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Towpath Tyke an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Towpath Tyke to your friends list
I use an olivette and a paste float for some of my lift rigs. The olivette is fished between 2" and 6" from the hook with the olivette set at dead depth!

I also use the double bulk method, mainly on the cut using 0.50 Daiwa DPF1 pole floats in 3.5 feet of water. Number 8 stotz are bulked about 12" from the hook with 2 number 10 stotz bulked 6" from the hook! Baits: Expanders, corn, and 6mm punched meat.

Jon

Yeh Olde Canal Angler

4th 2011 Northern Fir & Feather (Two 10lb Carp)
Go to Top of Page

Bill G
Grandad

Sussex
England

Posted - 21 July 2013 :  2:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill G's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bill G to your friends list
i have always found the hook in the loop the best method for skimmers on the pole .very similar to a double bulk with the bottom bulk only an inch or even less from the hook. slightest movement of the float and you hit it. spectacular lift bites with this method and almost unmissable.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.25 seconds.