The Maggotdrowners Forum - Float on running water
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Float on running water
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martinMK

Posted - 03 December 2012 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add martinMK to your friends list
Hello to all members.
I am Martin Spasovski, been carping in the last 10 years on big waters, day tickets venues and have been much into fishing.

I am from Macednoia, and have been competing on carp championships in the last 6 years in Macedonia and abroad.

Recently I had started match fishing and I have few questions regarding match fishing on running waters.

What float/size.shape should I prefer for a moderately paced water?

Are heavier floats such as 12gr+ wagglers more immune to movements of flow currents?

Should I use lollipop floats on running waters?

I prefer using sliding waggler techniques, is this technique ok with running water?

Best Regards,

Martin.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

looksfishy

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 December 2012 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit looksfishy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add looksfishy to your friends list
Check out the descriptions here: http://www.daveharrellangling.com/r...-line-floats

Most of those should give you a head start in working out what is needed where

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 December 2012 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
Hi and welcome.

Sliding waggler will work on a slow to moderate paced river but I would not expect to need such a float setup in water under three metres deep.

All floats will be affected by currents in the river but as I think you have worked out, a heavier float will tend to be less affected.

What style of float you use will be dictated by the swim, the river and where you want to fish. A lollipop will really only work in conjunction with a pole and thus you will be limited by the length of the pole while wagglers will allow you to fish much further out.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

Site Supporter

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 December 2012 :  3:22:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list
It will be a lot easier to answer if you could say what rivers you will be mainly fishing.

There's no success like failure,
and failure is no success at all.
Go to Top of Page

martinMK

Posted - 03 December 2012 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martinMK to your friends list
For what rivers I fish.. it will be difficult since I do not fish in the UK.

Mainly the rivers are from 3-15 ft deep. The speed is low to moderate pace, sometimes some swims are fast paced but i do not fish fast rivers often. I tend to fish slow to moderate speeds.

Usually the rivers have uneven bottom so i can not drag the tell tale shot on the bottom, so I usually fish under depth.

As for the lollipop floats, i think for Cralusso Bolo or Shark.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

martinMK

Posted - 08 December 2012 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martinMK to your friends list
Bump..

any thoughts from the more experienced?

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 08 December 2012 :  2:09:40 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list
Martin

It's difficult to offer advice unless there is sufficient information such as species, size of the fish, the standard approach on the venue i.e. how other anglers fish the venue and how the fish respond, what weights are caught in the competitions etc.

The way continental anglers approach a match compared to how UK anglers fish a match are totally different as the standard UK approach generally revolves around a rod and reel approach, often using a float in conjunction with loose fed maggots whereas the continental approach may involve, groundbait and bloodworm fished in conjunction with a pole.

Also in the UK the swimfeeder plays a big part in river matches especiallywhere bream, chub and barbel are concerned.

Edited by - Dave Brittain on 08 December 2012 2:10:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

davylad
Life Member

Site Supporter

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 December 2012 :  3:54:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davylad to your friends list
Martin with the rivers you describe I reckon you'll need an array of floats that will cover your needs, from the various sticks, sliders, balsas, etc etc. I mean 3ft to 15ft with variable flow rates, you've nearly covered every river in the UK.

There's no success like failure,
and failure is no success at all.
Go to Top of Page

Towpath Tyke
aka J S-B

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 08 December 2012 :  9:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Towpath Tyke an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Towpath Tyke to your friends list
D H or these..

http://www.floatsonline.com/team_wo..._floats.html

Yeh Olde Canal Angler

4th 2011 Northern Fir & Feather (Two 10lb Carp)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.03 seconds.