The Maggotdrowners Forum - Fishing paste float rigs
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Fishing paste float rigs
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcbenson
Account Locked

Wiltshire

Posted - 24 June 2012 :  10:17:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jcbenson to your friends list
I'm a total novice when it comes to fishing paste.

I have some self-cocking paste floats. I understand the need to plumb the depth properly when using these. However, today when I wanted to give it a try, the wind and tow was strong and I really struggled - obviously with no shot down the line the float was drifting.

Am I doing something wrong? Was I fishing too deep and needed to shallow up (ie, if I was piano-wire tight to the paste would it be ok)? Or is it generally difficult to fish a self-cocking paste float in high winds?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

midge99
Life Member

South Yorkshire
Madagascar

Posted - 24 June 2012 :  10:37:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add midge99 to your friends list
In wind I would opt for a shotted float and have it down wind of your pole tip.
I only use self cocking floats in flat calm conditions, also I would have the shot closer to the hook say 9-12in normally I have it at mid-depth

Go to Top of Page

geofflukins
Life Member

Site Supporter

North Yorkshire
England

Posted - 24 June 2012 :  11:30:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geofflukins to your friends list
I wouldn't even attempt paste fishing in a strong wind.

Whatever you do, DON'T MOVE THE FEEDER!
Go to Top of Page

Little Legs
Life Member

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Little Legs to your friends list
When there is a tow the paste anchors the line and the tow pulls the float under. The only way to combat that in a strong wind is have your tip up stream of the flow and keep the line tight.

Go to Top of Page

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  08:05:31 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
Use backshot if its windy, you can create a 'dogleg' in the line which will reduce moving the float & losing the paste when the pole is moved by the wind. A strong tow makes fishing it very soft near impossible, but I did ok with it on saturday in strong winds since the tow was minimal in that area of the lake.

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

davebike
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Pole Mad!

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  08:07:24 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davebike to your friends list
I don't fish far out with paste in the wind but have no trouble but I don't use a conventional float !

I use two fly fishing "turn on strike indicators" there 4/5mm in dia and 12mm long and carry about 0.1 g
I set one about 75mm under depth and the other 75mm over depth the first registers lift bites and the second sale away
This works best if you can see the under water float but if you cannot it is still good and nearly wind proof

Dave
West Wickham Kent
maggot@davewilkinsmotorcycles.co.uk
Happy to be a Site Supporter

http://www.edenbridge-angling.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

jcbenson
Account Locked

Wiltshire

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  08:26:03 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcbenson to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by davebike

I don't fish far out with paste in the wind but have no trouble but I don't use a conventional float !

I use two fly fishing "turn on strike indicators" there 4/5mm in dia and 12mm long and carry about 0.1 g
I set one about 75mm under depth and the other 75mm over depth the first registers lift bites and the second sale away
This works best if you can see the under water float but if you cannot it is still good and nearly wind proof

Interesting, I have some of these - they are fluoro yellow and red, right?

Go to Top of Page

160642fishing
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 160642fishing to your friends list
I've just Googled these,wouldn't blobs or dibbers with the stem cut down do the same job ?

Go to Top of Page

rodring
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  11:23:19 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rodring to your friends list
In windy conditions I use a length of carp anglers lead core about 12"long,attach one end to my stonfo and the rig to the other via a crows foot. I have the lead core just touching the surface or a couple of inches under the surface depending on the wind to keep the rig stable.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum...?FileID=5443
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

davebike
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Pole Mad!

Posted - 25 June 2012 :  8:02:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davebike to your friends list
Yes the ones I use are the yellow and red ones dead easy to put on the line and if a big fish dives though the snags they either slide up or even come off I can mostly retrieve them I only lose the odd one ! and they never damage the line :-)
If you try them get the smallest size I have found they work best

Dave
West Wickham Kent
maggot@davewilkinsmotorcycles.co.uk
Happy to be a Site Supporter

http://www.edenbridge-angling.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.92 seconds.