The Maggotdrowners Forum - back shotting pole floats
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 back shotting pole floats
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ean632
Life Member

Teesside
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  8:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ean632's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add ean632 to your friends list
Please can someone give me some pros/cons to back shotting pole floats?

Ive never back shot so i have not got a clue! I make all my pole rigs so if I back shot a rig will I have to remove some original weights from the float to the hook?

Cheers lads

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

pole addict
Baconmeister

Site Supporter

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  8:35:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pole addict to your friends list
just started using back shot occasionally.

pro's...better presentation in wind.

No cons as far as i know....unless you count having to concentrate more on how you hold your pole.

If you dont support the weight of the backshot with your pole it will sink your float.

Go to Top of Page

B1gdaddy
Life Member

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  8:46:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add B1gdaddy to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by pole addict

just started using back shot occasionally.

pro's...better presentation in wind.

No cons as far as i know....unless you count having to concentrate more on how you hold your pole.

If you dont support the weight of the backshot with your pole it will sink your float.

Can you allow for the weight of the backshot when shotting up?

Go to Top of Page

Nobby_nobbs
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  8:58:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nobby_nobbs to your friends list
Reading an article by Mr Scotthorne in AT and he uses three No 8 as back shot equispaced above the float.
So I gave it a go it does two things, you have a tight line from tip to float, and offers better control in wind.
Since I started doing this I've hit more bites as you have to be directly above the rig and the tight line is more positive you soon get used to it
Using this method you don't need to allow for the backshot at all as you are holding them above the water.

I wish Heisenberg would make his mind up
Go to Top of Page

mak 1
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  9:00:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mak 1 to your friends list
eg
if you shot a rig 3 droppers and a bulk
you can use back shot when its windy this shot dose not go in water and 1st one is plased 6'' above float it will never change the shotting at all
if looking for little dips on float i will sometimes put 1 about 1'' above the float this will change the float shotting, this is to get the little bit of line under the surface skim witch can hold the float up on very small fish when on canal. i will use the same size shot that the bulk is made up from and i would remove 1 of the bulk shot so the float is still the same
i may still add more above the float (6'' up ) above the 1st back shot

Edited by - mak 1 on 04 May 2012 9:02:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pole addict
Baconmeister

Site Supporter

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  9:44:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pole addict to your friends list
Bigdaddy,

The weight of the backshot is NOT part of the floats shotting capacity as you are suspending the backshot from the pole, above the water.

What i do a lot now is have a number 12 stotz next to the float eye.
This dots it down to a pimple.If the wind gets up and there is a ripple, move this shot away from the float and it will sit with 3-5mm above the water and aid visability.
Not really used as a backshot but it's a handy tip that works well.

Go to Top of Page

ean632
Life Member

Teesside
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  10:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ean632's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ean632 to your friends list
Now this is what i'm talking about, great tips, keep them coming.

Now I do fish using a pole support and pole seat (preston x4s) so my line above the float is often is in the water.

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  05:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by pole addict

Bigdaddy,

The weight of the backshot is NOT part of the floats shotting capacity as you are suspending the backshot from the pole, above the water.

Have to disagree. Backshotting refers to any shot above the float hence the shot you describe as being next to the eye (good tip that though) are backshot and must form part of the shotting of the float as it will be supported by the float and not the pole. Hence the float rising when you move those shot towards the pole tip.

I backshot all my canal rigs and at present some of my carp rigs. I have seen the difference backshotting can make to shy biting fish by sinking the line immediately above the float eye. If it is sitting in the surface film then the fish can feel the extra resistance it takes to break the line through the film. The difference in bites can be dramatic.

If you do as PA says and have some small shot just above the float you can move between tip and float you can adjust the floats position easily. Having an extra shot under the pole tip then allows you to sink the line between pole and float and thus out of both wind and surface film.

So backshot come in two types in effect. Those that sit just below the pole tip (not part of the float's shotting and hence can be any size you like) and those that sit just above the float and will form part of the shotting capacity.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by - Neil ofthe nene on 05 May 2012 05:55:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Paul od
dave

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paul od to your friends list
I got backshotitis when I discovered the value of doing it. What I've found is there are different circumstances which necessitate variations on the theme.

For general control in reasonable conditions and/or dealing with a light skim, I like a series of number 10's, maybe four. The thing is to play around with their position. Sometimes, for instance if a breeze gets up, it helps to push them all quite close to the float. Also, if you find your float begins to take on water you can push one of the shot away,up the line as far as the connector if needs be. On this point, you do have to build the backshot into the float's shotting usually as, unless you're keeping a tight line from pole to float, (such as aiming at self-hooking with carp), you'll inevitably let the line go slack and some or all of the shot will sink.
When it's windy I find it's best to have heavier shot, e.g. number 8's
and to sink them as far as needed to control the rig. (Sorry if that's obvious!). It pays in these conditions to have a few different rigs prepared with varying amounts of backshot.
What you have to be careful with is the balance between the shotting on the rig below the float and the backshot, especially with shotting of lighter floats where you're dealing with skim etc rather than bigger floats in strong winds. Too much backshot with these lighter floats and you can struggle to get them to sit properly.
Get it right though and you'll find your float sits stock still in all but the worst conditions.
The main thing is to play around with your floats and the amount of backshot/size of shot. It's a bit of a science getting it right. I've been using backshot for a while now, as I've said, and I'm still finding various tweaks are often necessary.

PaulOD
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NoCarpPlease
Life Member

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit NoCarpPlease's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add NoCarpPlease to your friends list
I agree with NeiloftheNene re canal rigs.
I've used a small shot (usually a 10) just above the float eye for donkeys years, and it defintiely reduces the effect of surface skim on float movement. The whole rig just fishes more positively.
I think it was Richard Latimer (floatmaking fame) who put me in ot it over 20 years ago.
I like to have it just below the tip of the float, so sometime about 1 inch or more from the eye.
In my case it always forms part of the shotting capacity in this situation.

The other example that comes to mind was Keenets Central on the North Bank, sho sed to use one or more AAA shot a couple of feet above the float to aid stability in the wind. It worked a treat! Those were not part of the float capacity, but as described above were held from the pole tip,

Go to Top of Page

iammrb
Life Member

Site Supporter

Midlands West
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  1:02:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iammrb to your friends list
Very interesting tips guys. I always struggle with line tow so will using this method on my next outing .

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.17 seconds.