The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole fishing on canal towpath
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole fishing on canal towpath
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:16:41 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pindercd to your friends list
Ive just purchased my first pole which is 8m in length. I aim to fish on the canal where I live, but the towpath is very tight, and is rammed full of cyclists and passers by. The is a strip of grass about a foot wide where I normally fish.

What is the easiest way to ship my pole, while trying to protect it from any potential damage ? Ive looked at rollers etc, but they all seem to need space behind which I havent got.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
On a really narrow towpath the only way is to ship the pole sideways along the bank almost parallel.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:24:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pindercd to your friends list
Thanks for your quick response Neil.

Would you still recommend that I bought rollers for this, or just lay the sections on the grass.

Sorry If I sound like a plum, Im just trying to get all the tackle sorted that I will need.

Go to Top of Page

wheatcroft
Life Member

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wheatcroft's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add wheatcroft to your friends list
One roller should do you fine for 8m. Worth getting as you keep your new pole in better condition and it'll help you with the awkward shipping angle. I prefer a flat-bed roller for level banks like canals, but it's a matter of preference whether you go flat or v-roller. Get the best you can afford.

Go to Top of Page

wheatcroft
Life Member

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wheatcroft's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add wheatcroft to your friends list
And think about getting a pole sock too, if you can. Only a tenner or so and it'll save you retrieving your pole from the canal when the wind blows it in.

Edited by - wheatcroft on 09 February 2012 1:53:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

cant win
Life Member

Poland

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  1:59:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cant win to your friends list
deffinatly get a flat roller,you dont want to be sliding your pole through dog s***t as it has already been said you need to be shipping it parallel to the canal,to stop cyclists and walkers etc from damaging it.

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  2:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
While a pole roller isn't essential it will make everything easier and smoother, and keep the pole off the floor.

Your canal wouldn't be the Calder & Hebble by any chance? Fished it for the first and probably last time in 2010, towpath on some stretches was rediculously narrow.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

TinCanMan
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  2:38:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TinCanMan to your friends list
Use to fish the K&A Canal a lot, nightmare for joggers, ramblers and cyclists. I use to have 2 preston lay flat rollers paralell to the grass bank on my R/H side and then postion my top kit roost on my L/H side; also a pole sock comes in handy.

Go to Top of Page

rikt
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rikt to your friends list
Would agree with all of the above, it sounds like parallel unshipping is the only option, keep it smooth and have a light as elastic as you can, depending on the stamp of fish you are catching.

Neil of the Nene - You are right about the Calder and Hebble, fished it for 30 years, man and boy, you get used to it!!

Still trying to get the hang of this fishing lark!!
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:05:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pindercd to your friends list
Many thanks for all your advice. Im on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. I started fishing last year on rod and line after a 25 years absence and am well and truly back into it ! Thought Id give pole fishing a go just for a fresh challenge. Ill be fishing mostly flicktip or 4 elastic through the top 2 as it mostly perch, roach and skimmers which I will be catching. As long as the float spends most of its time under water I'll be happy !

Go to Top of Page

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pindercd to your friends list
The mountain bikers are a pain. If I fish for half a day I will probably get passed by about 100 of them, usually shouting and riding two abreast. Still it beats the dog walkers who let their dogs run amok, and I spent a fair bit of time last year trying to wrestle my plastic bag of lunchen meat from various dogs slavering mouths !

Edited by - pindercd on 09 February 2012 4:12:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

supersuperleeds
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:12:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add supersuperleeds to your friends list
I break my pole down as opposed to shipping it back when I fish the canal. Is a pain, but it is better than having a bike go through it.

Go to Top of Page

rourke7719
Big Stu

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit rourke7719's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add rourke7719 to your friends list
Whereabouts on the Leeds Liverpool? (Just out of interest) I live quite close to the canal in Wigan.

I concur with the other posts, I will ship my pole along the bank when canal fishing.

2 things that I always do, only when on the canal though:

1 - I always use a flat roller. V Rollers can be prone to having your pole blow off them and you don't want it blowing off into the canal

2 - I always set my roller higher than I would do shipping behind me. Maybe its just me but I have found when shipping sideways I tend to hold the pole higher than I do when I am shipping backwards. (Maybe I am just weird)

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Nanook
Life Member

Lancashire

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nanook to your friends list
As a cyclist....
...i'll make you a deal.
You ship sideways and break down as you do so, and i'll slow riiiiiight down and not complain

Go to Top of Page

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pindercd to your friends list
Deal Nanook !

Seems a sweeping statement from me, I apologise, but there is nothing worse than having your peace and tranquiality shattered by 15 hungover mountain bikers shouting and carrying on at break neck speed !

Rourke 7719 - Im based nearly Shipley in West Yorkshire.

Go to Top of Page

steve king
The One and Only

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2012 :  8:24:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve king to your friends list
quote :
Im based nearly Shipley in West Yorkshire.

Cleggy country

Best of luck to you if you come across himhe will show you how to fish it,
Then you go to Scott and Lee Weston and Jonathan Bland and they will show you how to do it propley

Edited by - steve king on 09 February 2012 8:25:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

pindercd
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 February 2012 :  12:47:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pindercd to your friends list
Many thanks for everyones help on this subject.

I'm am just trying to visualise how it is all going to look. The towpath where I fish is dead level, so would I need to use a pole sock or an extra set of flat pole rollers ?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Towpath Tyke
aka J S-B

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 February 2012 :  6:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Towpath Tyke an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Towpath Tyke to your friends list
If you are fishing the Saltaire A A stretch in Shipley I suggest sending David (cleggy) Senior a PM on here, he is on the committee and Im sure he would meet up with you one Saturday

Im on the committee for Bingley A C and also act as bailiff on Bingley canal stretch, I fish most Saturdays too, PM me if you want to meet up one weekend

Yeh Olde Canal Angler

4th 2011 Northern Fir & Feather (Two 10lb Carp)
Go to Top of Page

leeweston
leeweston

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 12 February 2012 :  8:58:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leeweston to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Jonathan Bland

If you are fishing the Saltaire A A stretch in Shipley I suggest sending David (cleggy) Senior a PM on here, he is on the committee and Im sure he would meet up with you one Saturday

Im on the committee for Bingley A C and also act as bailiff on Bingley canal stretch, I fish most Saturdays too, PM me if you want to meet up one weekend

Pm cleggy and ignore everything he says

Go to Top of Page

Milo
Life Member

Site Supporter

Wiltshire
England

Posted - 12 February 2012 :  9:19:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Milo to your friends list
You want to spread you gear like a chekyne around your peg to slow them down but NOT block the towpath. It's not a race track.

Rolfs 200lb+ club
2009 Jinx pairs champ
Minxed three times!!!
Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 February 2012 :  9:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list
Mr King....and Mr Weston.....

Mr Bland.....

pindercd, I shall probably be on the towpath behind the Hotel Ibis (on the boat stretch) on Sunday morning (if it aint too windy), cos it blows down that stretch like a wind tunnel.

I shall have my Piking gear out and I could do with a volunteer to catch ( some liveys)

If you come in a vehicle simply go to the Hotel Ibis reception pay them a 1 for parking and tell them you'll be on the towpath fishing and you can park at the top of their car park right next to a hole in the bushes and you are straight on the towpath.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.06 seconds.