The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 18)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 18)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Jonperch
Avon Angler

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  12:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jonperch's Homepage  Click to see Jonperch's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Jonperch to your friends list

Great report daz and many congratulations on catching your first carp.

There are many reasons why you were missing out on bites, the most likely would be down to your set up and bait choice along with the smaller fish in the lake. Its probable that the lightning quick bites were from small roach pecking at the bait rather than swallowing it. The best way to judge whether this is happening is to see if the maggot has been 'sucked'.

By scaling down your hookbait and hook, to say a size twenty and a single pinkie you should get more takes. Also try scaling down your hooklength to prevent spooking the fish and reducing the resitance posed through heavy shotting/floats.

If your after the larger fish, introduce more feed more often, in an attempt to feed off such smaller fish.

There are many more steps you can take to connect with bites, it may be worth investing in some form of match angling press where they can give you in depth rig/bait set ups for such scenarios.

Jon

Go to Top of Page

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list

Saturday 1st May 2004
Dromonby Farm Fisheries, Great Busby, North Yorks

Sorry this report is a bit late but I've been busy digging my new garden pond all weekend.

Decided to fish the smallest pond of the three at Dromonby (although only two are currently open) since we've got club matches coming up on there and I wanted to have a bit of a practice.
The smallest pond hasn't been fished very much - there's no permanent pegs in place yet, so the fish are not particularly hook, line or bait shy yet.
This is the view across the lake

It only has about a dozen pegs and not knowing a great deal about the depths or contours I decided to fish in the middle of the roadside bank. No features to speak of other than the oveflow away to my left.

After speaking to the owner last week I knew the lake contained carp and rudd, with the carp averaging about 8oz and the rudd considerably smaller (I later discovered that there were about 30 larger carp up to 5 or 6lbs stocked a year or so ago)

After 10 minutes careful plumbing I found I had about 4ft of water at 6-11m after which the lake seemed to shallow up slightly. I started by putting a big cup of chopped worm and caster in at 11m straight in front and another pot of expanders and micro-pellets at 11m across to my left in line with the overflow (in about 3ft of water).

I started catching over the chopped worm almost straight away, although I had to use a fairly large chunk of worm to prevent the rudd intercepting the bait on the drop. The carp I was catching varied from 2oz to about 12oz - this sort of size:

After a couple of hours or so I was surprised to hear a car pull up and was even more surprised to see Richie and his son Josh - they were also fishing the evening series on the lake and had decided to come along for a little practice session too.

They dropped into the pegs to the right of me and Richie found that end of the lake was about two feet deeper than where I was fishing (when the owner came down later I found that there's depths to eight feet on the far-side of the pond).

I hadn't touched my pellet line so far (although I'd continued to feed it) so decided to have a look over it. With a 6mm expander as bait I got bites straight away - in fact I think it look longer to carefully ship out than it did for another bite to come. The carp were no bigger the majority being chunky fish of 8-12oz - the ones that you're not sure whether to swing 'em or land 'em

I finished with 43 carp, a single tench (of which there ain't supposed to be any in the pond) and about a dozen rudd. My total weight will probably have been around 15lbs. It'll be interesting to see how it fishes with a dozen anglers round the lake at our first match in a fortnight.

Tight Lines

Simon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stokesley.ac/
Go to Top of Page

dazalio
DAZ

Teesside
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  9:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit dazalio's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dazalio to your friends list

Thanks for the info Jon, very much appreciated.
Nice report Simon. What other species are in the other lakes? I am interested in fishing this venue soon as possible as I understand it's not too far away.

CHEERS
ALIO

"Nothing increases the size of your catch as much as the absence of witnesses".

Go to Top of Page

jaygee
Life Member

Co. Derry
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaygee's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jaygee to your friends list

Decided to fish an afternoon match at Hallcroft fishery in Retford ,NOTTS.On arrival at Retford I was told it had been "hard " the previous day and bites were hard to come by on the normal pellet and paste baits owing to a drastic drop in temperature.
As the match was from 1.30 to 6.30 and knowing most of the pegs very well I decided to wait to see where I drew before deciding on tactics.

I drew peg 81 on Moat Outer ,an area I knew was 4 feet deep close in at 3-4 metres.I decided to fish maggot for a couple of hours close in and bait up with cat meat down the inside in the hope of a lump or two late on.I couldn't face sitting it out for odd carp.I wanted bites ..

I went to the on site tackle shop and bought 3 pints of maggots,knowing I was guaranteed loads of bites from the hordes of roach and,if I could get a continual flow of maggots to the bottom (avoiding small fish midwater),the chance of bream and the odd carp.I had 113Lb last year using this method from Peg 73, which included 80lb of bream using the top 3 sections of my pole.

The match started and I went in at 4 metres about 4 feet deep loose feeding maggot and a few small pellets.Immediately I started catching small roach on the drop,which told me my maggots weren't getting to the bottom where better fish may be lurking.

I started to feed closer in at 2-3 metres and knew the smaller fish were reluctant to come in close,allowing my maggot to get to the bottom.When I started to fish the closer line I started to get better roach about 3-4 ounces and odd skimmers off the bottom but no carp.Not to worry,Iwas happy enough.
This continued for a couple of hours which was very enjoyable but I was never going to win anything,I was catching about 5 pounds an hour.

My thoughts turned to the inside line and I cupped in a good cup of pellets and a couple of pieces of Coshida cat meat by the side of a straw bale about 8 metres to my left in the reeds.I had seen some movement there earlier.

I continued to catch roach on maggot but noticed the guy next to me(3 pegs down left,you get three pegs in Hallcroft matches))was getting odd carp on paste.I made up some paste and cupped in some pellet and a small sample of paste at 11 metres.The guy on the other side was struggling.What should I do?
I went out on the paste line and the float buried straight away,this was a good fish but it got off.
I rebaited that line and tried my inside line with a lump of cat meat,the movement I had seen earlier turned out to be a coots nest,this put me off so I abandoned this swim and baited the other side with pellet and cat meat and went back on the 11 metre line.
An hour later and despite trying paste and pellet no more bites.The guy on my left was still getting odd fish,the other guy still had nothing with two hours to go.

Now I was cursing and wishing I had stayed on the maggot having wasted an hour or so.Suddenly the guy on my right had a lump about 10lb on cat meat on the inside line ,I decided to spend the rest of the match fishing the inside with cat meat.I never had a sniff.

The guy to my right had another two carp and weighed in 24lb ,the guy to the left weighed in 64lb having caught 3 big carp down the edge late on and me just 19lb nearly all roach.A nice enjoyable afternoon but as usual won sod all ..Roll on the warm weather..

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

feeder fan
top bagger

Teesside
England

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  2:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit feeder fan's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add feeder fan to your friends list

simon pleae will you send me the directions on a private message

j.coalter

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  8:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Spot on reports all.
Good to see that you had a few Andy.

Peter.

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Gazhilla
Pasted to Death

Site Supporter

Lancashire
Bahamas

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  8:30:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gazhilla to your friends list

Highfield Farm Fishery, Hambleton, Lancs
Fished Ash Lake at Highfield today after a good session on Beech on Friday.
Got there about 9am to find a club match on Beech just about to start. Wanted to catch a tench or two so I asked George the Fishery manager which was the best peg to go about it. Pointed me down to the bottom right hand corner, peg 14. Walked down and saw about eight other anglers on the lake, by the sound of the accent, East Lancs lot they were. One of them was catching on the tip close to a pile of lillies in the centre but others were stating that it was slow.

Set up the pole with a line at 9.5m on the far shelf about 2 1/2ft deep. three pouches of pellets and hemp and a dozen maggots in the pole cup and then in i go. Prior to this i had caught a 1inch perch on a bare hook whilst checking the shotting on my pole float!!! By this time it was about 9.40am. By ten o'clock i had had two carp about 12oz and two small chub about 6oz each. No one else had caught a thing!
Kept the pellets going in and hemp, a pouch every couple of minutes and continued to catch carp. I was joined by a young lad and his dad and one of the others set up in the opposite corner after moving from the top end. I was still catching, a fish every 5 minutes and started to get liners so eased of a little on the feed. About 11.30 a 20lb 12oz carp was caught on the specemin lake Oak by an angler who had been and blanked on 10 previous occassions!! How happy was he.
Took a couple of handfulls of the feeder pellets over to the young lad and his dad to try and get thelad catching and showed him where the near shelf was and how to feed it, info that i had been given by George on my previous visit. I had had about 40 fish by now and the bloke on the opposite corner was well agitated as he had not even had a bite. About 10 minutes later had the most dlicate of bites which took about 2 mins to develop and struck to land a small tench of about 8oz, happy as larry as had wanted to catch one, not bothered what size. Carried on catching carp, hybrids, tench and a 2 1/2lb common which took about ten minutes to finally net until 12.30pm when I could not resist a bacon buttie which are prepared on site for the cheap sum of 1.20. chatted for about 20 minutes and went back to see the dad of the young lad catch a carp and the angler on the opp. corner catch one whilst i was eating my buttie. In i went again and straight into fish and this stayed the same until about 3pm when the sun got up and wind put a heavy ripple on the water which seemed to kill my swim. Put the tip out as the pole was too hard to handle with the cross wind and managed another few fish including a 1 inch perch that managed to swallow 4 maggots on a size 14 hook!
About 75 fish in all including 4 tench and a great days fishing even though I thought the guy opposite was going to throw stones in my swim by the look on his face. Somedays it just comes good.
Gary

Will Be Sponsored By MAP one day !!!!!

Edited by - Gazhilla on 09 May 2004 8:31:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  10:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

2.30am Saturday, Les turns up for Ireland & we transfer his gear to my car & off we go. We arrive at Stranrea after a four and a half hour drive about 8.00am. We have a wander (everything shut inc. petrol station), and see a seal on a slip-way by the sea. When I approach he shows he aint friendly. Toma and Daz arrive and we get on the ferry to Ireland. After an hour and fifty mins. we are in Belfast. Two hours later Lez and I are in our rooms in the pub. No sign of the other two. About an hour or so later they arrive. Daz would not listen to Toma regarding directions.....Tee Hee. We had afew drinks and then bed. The following day Toma took us to Tullt Glide. The day was to say the least SLOW. However I did get these nice fish.. The rest of the week we tried everywhere to get good fish. I never blanked on any venue though some did....lol. On Sunday night I went up had a shower at 6.00pm and thought I'll just have 5 mins nap.....At 6.00am Monday morning I was awoken by Toma......I must have been knackered from all the driving. On the last day I persuaded Lez to go to a little lake I knew. Daz and Toma did not want to come. Below are the result of my day......117 Roach and Perch mixed bag.........Now a few pics from over there including my mixed bag from one of the venues...can't remember which.

although the others may not admit it I think I caught the most fish and probably the biggest weight on the holliday. I would just like to thank Toma, Lez , and Daz for makeing it an enjoyable holliday. And sorry Lez about the speed of the car....lol. and what prat doctored the maggots I brought home.....

Compo the true Angler.
No poles for me.

Edited by - haydn.borthwick on 09 May 2004 10:53:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

matt_moon

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  6:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit matt_moon's Homepage  Click to see matt_moon's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add matt_moon to your friends list

Today (9th may) i fished at lake veiw fisheries on the lake "harbour". I started the day pole fishing maggots on a shelf on the far bank, bites were slow so i threw a small handfull of sweetcorn into the middle where it was deeper, 1hour later i moved onto that swim and fished sweetcorn on the hook.My total weight for the day was 25lb 1oz of mixed carp and skimmers, a new p.b for 2004. In that bag my biggest fish was a 2lb 10oz common carp

Go to Top of Page

Jonperch
Avon Angler

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  7:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jonperch's Homepage  Click to see Jonperch's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Jonperch to your friends list

nice one matt, welcome to MD's

Jon

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  8:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

monday 8.00am, secret venue met Dave , Suzzie and dave's dad for a days fishing. A bit windy on lake 1 so moved to lake 2 and got stuck in to Roach on waggler and red maggots. Dave catching better fish on pellet, so asked him to explain about them, which he did and he gave me some to try. Result loads of skimmers.

Well impressed.During the day Suzzie caught a beautiful Bream over 4lb and had a Carp on for 1/2 an hour till her twisted line on the reel caused it to jam and off went the Carp. I realy felt for her. NEXT time Suzzie!!!!! Once again a brill day with good friends. Thanks again you two.

Compo the true Angler.
No poles for me.

Edited by - haydn.borthwick on 11 May 2004 8:52:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  10:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Went for a few hours to the aquarium tonight and fished from 7.00pm until just after 9.00pm when the light started failing to the point where I could no longer make out my float

I managed quite a few half decent roach, and four belting Tench ranging from 2lb to 3.5lb - a lot better than watching the telly

And no shocks this time lol

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

jaygee
Life Member

Co. Derry
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  1:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaygee's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add jaygee to your friends list

On Wednesday was lucky enough to be invited to fish a match with Mercury match group at Hayfield on Little Adams where Fishomania is held.A friend of mine is a member of Mercury and as most matches are midweek they need extra anglers to reduce the cost to the others..

I drew peg 27 which is top left corner if viewed from clubhouse.There is a reed lined corner and a small overhanging tree between peg 27 and 28 which gives about 30 metres between the two pegs,an excellent draw.

The weather was warm and overcast after a cold night of 8 degrees.
As this lake drops to 10 feet at 13 metres and at least 15 feet in the middle the bottom is very cold, so most anglers opt for fishing shallow ,spraying,or floating pole.
I don't enjoy either of these methods so I decided to fish maggot or caster along the edge 7 metres to my right in a small gap in the reeds and another line at 13 mteres to my right under, or close to ,the overhanging tree.Both lines between 6 inches and 6 feet from the bank and about 2 feet deep.

The plan was to feed both lines at the same time and drop onto the 7 metre line for a couple of minutes and if no bite add sections and try 13 metre line as most fish were likely to be caught under the tree.

I was fishing fairly light with 8 latex elastic and an eighteen tubertini 808 hook.I wanted 3 feet of line from my float to hook as if a decent fish was hooked under the tree I knew it would bolt for the deep water and head for the bottom,the 8 elastic and long line would allow the fish to get to the bottom where it would slow down.I have fished shallow before and if you're not fishing heavy enough to stop the first run you need enough line and light enough elastic to allow the fish to get to the bottom or you will be snapped off.

The match started and after a slow start I started to get a few roach and perch from under the tree at 13 metres.The closer line was producing no bites so I stopped fishing that line and concentrate under the tree,still feeding both lines with a dozen maggots after every fish.

After about an hour I caught a crucian carp of about 2 pounds which bolted from under the tree into the deeper water testing my elastic which stretched just enough to let him get to the bottom and slow down.
After a couple of hours an a few more crucians I decided to give the 7 metre line a try as I knew the fish left under the would be well spooked and I was having difficult poking my pole under tree and striking sideways because of the necessary length of my line.The wind had got up a bit and the branches were blowing on to the end of the pole,impeeding my strike.
When I dropped onto the 7 metre line again it was alive with tench and crucians which were hitting my maggot bait as soon as it hit the water.
I continued to catch until the end of the match,mostly big crucians and tench with a few roach chub and perch.
At the weigh in I weighed in 46 pounds for a narrow win over the guy at peg 30 who had 41 pound fishing shallow for a mixture of carp and Ide..The bloke to my right on peg 28 (who drove me mad whistling) had 31 pound of tiny carp on pellet.Evidently this lake has been heavily stocked with thousands of these small carp.Strangely I didn't catch any so maybe they don't like maggot or don't mix with crucians....What a lovely days fishing,much better to get loads of bites than sat waiting for odd lumps.

I was told at the draw that the lake had been drained and all big carp taken out but there were still a few caught up to 12 pounds,I'm glad I didn't connect with any of those as I would have been well sorted out.

Go to Top of Page

Polepot
Poles

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  1:33:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polepot to your friends list

John,

Seam like a good day - well done

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Go to Top of Page

Bricktop
Snap

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bricktop to your friends list

Fished a 3 hour evening match last night. I'm new to match fishing, and learned some important lessons the hard way (arguably the best way).

Good preparation is only good if you can apply your preparation to quick thinking on the bank. Never commit yourself and fence yourself in to one style of fishing before you arrive. Prepare to fish several eventualities. Think quickly!!!!

To be honest, I've not fished as badly in a long time. I really was cwap. When "all in" echoed accross the lake, I was still setting up. I'd smashed 2 very light rigs just plumbing the depth getting the plumb stuck in the shelf wall. When I was finally ready, and after watching the angler next to me land 2 nice skimmers, I shipped out some bait in a cup using a bush I could see on the far bank as a marker. After depositing my groundbaits, I shipped out my rig only to notice that there were 2 bushes on the other bank. I couldn't remember which bush I'd used as a marker - Gaaaah! - lol. This pretty much set the tone for the rest of the evening. When bites came, I either missed them, bumped them, pulled the hook or dropped them at the net. Then the bites stopped. DOH!

Luddy good fun all the same. I met breammad from our forum and his mate (soon to join I think) for the first time last night who came down to see how I was doing. Had a good laugh with them and look forward to getting out fishing with them some time soon.

All good fun -

Edited by - Bricktop on 14 May 2004 09:11:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  2:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Bricktop, Sounds like a bad case of "nerves" mate !!

Next match just imagine that you are on a good "pleasure session", but with a "bit more concentration".
After all a "match" should be pleasurable.

Good luck for next time.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bricktop
Snap

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  2:44:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bricktop to your friends list

Cheers David. Maybe it was nerves a bit. I dunno. I felt a bit pressured to do well as in my last match with the same lads I had a great day. They even had me drawing pegs from the bag for them at the start.

Hey ho. It was damn good fun though. I saw the funny side of all my events and had a good laugh meeting new lads.

Got another in a couple of week. Looking forward to it already

Go to Top of Page

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  7:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

Saturday went to aquarium. Carp pellets size 14 hook and result 12 Tench, 1 Carp, 15 Rudd and 8 roach. Not a bad day at all.

Compo the true Angler.
No poles for me.

Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

I see that you've found a new bait Haydn.
Beats getting all those "bits" eh??

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Go to Top of Page

susie Q
' Nora '

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  9:21:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add susie Q to your friends list

Hi Toma, sneaking off for some practise I see.
Seems like you all had a good day.
That's a nice Tench, there are some good ones in there.
Bernie got a Grassie, eh! they go a bit.
If Bernie was fishing the "point peg" and had fished to his left,
that's were Teepee got about 15 Tench out.
Last week I got a 4.25lb Bream out of the peg next to yours,sadly the Grassie I hooked got away
When fishing on that side of the lake you are out of the wind and it gets very warm, even on a cooler day.
Again well done Toma

cyanide sue.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.55 seconds.