The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 18)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 18)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 April 2004 :  10:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

Yes it's time again for the start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 18)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17 now add up to in excess of 1500 posts So,if you are looking for a bit of inspiration or even a good laugh, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

Part 15

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 ,4

Part 16

Part 17

So if you're new, bored or just have a whole day to yourself, have a read of the previous reports and then lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Jonperch
Avon Angler

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  4:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jonperch's Homepage  Click to see Jonperch's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Jonperch to your friends list

Venue - Butlins (!) Minehead
Date - Friday 23rd till Sunday 25th

As a treat my mom booked an end of easter holiday at Butlins as she hadnt seen me in god knows how long due to uni commitments. Great i thought. But i was later informed we had a lake on the edge of the cabin

Unsure what existed in the lake, apart from being told it was a 'fishing lake' i set about trying to find info. Posts on MD were unsuccessful, ringing the p*sshead redcoats at butlins also (suprisingly) failed but an upside down advert in the back of some angling press informed me the lake had a good stock of bream and carp.

Excellent! A weekend with 4 rods out on alarms with the best bivvy imaginable in the form of a log cabin!

On arrival the lake was around 2 1/2 acres. I plumbed and searched the bottom to find a very silty bottom and an average depth of 3 feet. Only 1 other person was fishing, and had been for 12 days/nights, his catch so far...1 grass carp of 6lb

So out three carp rods, all with single hookbaits (2 mainline active8, one a heathrow pineapple pop up) and around a kilo of dynamite baits pellets were spodded over the top. Next went out a feeder rod for 'a bit of fun' with the bits.

Three hours later not even a touch! Time to give up on the feeder and bung out another carp rod

Darkness fell and i had a screaming take which ripped around 20 yards of line off the baitrunner, but no resistance on the strike

Around 11pm another screaming take on one of the mainline active8 rods. While playing the fish i was quite puzzeled...huge headshakes and wobbling, it felt like either a huge perch or a drunk carp!

The culprit...a 6lb+ eel! I was over the moon, i doubt i will ever top this specimin again!

On the same night i had my eel, the guy next door had a nice 22lb mirror which took the bait at 1am

Turned out this eel was going to be the only action i had for the rest of the holiday. A constant pattern of silent alarms in daylight and single bleeps and dropped runs in the dark continued, but i couldnt connect with a fish.

As for the bream/roach/perch...well i really dont know! I tried everything, fishing possibly better than i ever have before but i couldnt get a touch.

For all you carpers out there i would recommend this place as when i finally drew in the rods i was informed by a nearby cabin they go to 34lb and normally bite at 4am. Plus you have the best bivvy in the world!

It was allright for me as im no 'carper' myself but it gave me a chance to brush up on skills without paying 20 per night, and also gave me free time to spend with me mom.

Tight lines

Jon

Go to Top of Page

shopboy

Sussex
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  5:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit shopboy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add shopboy to your friends list

Just returned from Tanyard Fishery in Danehill on the edge of Ashdown Forest in Sussex, having had the day of my life! Fishing lake No.4 with corn ledgered on a hair with a cage feeder,in 7.5 hours bagged over 100 lbs including commons to 12, mirrors to 6.5 bream to 6. My best ever haul. Have run out of mates to boast to so i thought i would post it here. I had to leave the venue early before the other fishermen threw me in. some days you just can lose, fantastic.
Shopboy

Go to Top of Page

antwood
ant

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see antwood's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add antwood to your friends list

thats a nice eel i have never caught 1 but i heard they fight like a b!tch

Go to Top of Page

granjuiceymoose
'Mikey Man'

Teesside
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  5:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit granjuiceymoose's Homepage  Click to see granjuiceymoose's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add granjuiceymoose to your friends list

Thats a cracking EEL congratulations

Tight lines

G J Moose

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

geordievin

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  7:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit geordievin's Homepage  Send geordievin a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add geordievin to your friends list

Well not exactly today but first time on since friday.
As you know hot on friday so decided to go up to Springwood after work I've only been up a couple of times so far and not had much decent so far. Anyway only a few up ther when i got there and most packing up so picked my spot and got the smaller fish feeding and soon had had a good dozen roach and rudd of good size (for me at least). By this time I was the only one left and and had tried floating some bread with no succsess. Then the carp started to take the bread wich was still floating so I thought I'd give it another try and straight off carp where gulping down the bread without thinking about it so out went the float with bread on.
Now call me stupid but as I was happily watching my bit of bread getting closer and closer to being taken along comes the resident canadian goose swims straight past all the free offerings and I'm thinking he's not going to bother great, just as this carp comes up to take the bread the goose stick its neck out and grabs it. I panic pull the rod goose screams and i've got him! He's now flying across the lake head in the water screaming and flapping. I'm there trying to reel this goose in now being watched by the woman from the lake who looks after this thing. By now its up on one of the islands and gets wrapped round the small tree and falls back in the water , upside down! My god I'm thinking its going to drown but at least its still flapping and screaming legs in the air, its not dead yet and all of a sudden the line snaps and everything calms dow as qick as it started.
Well I think I've lost a float but the goose is off and away and hey the carp are still feeding so I start to tackle up again but I'm also watching the woman run round the lake trying to catch this bleeding goose and shouting across the lake to me to see if its alright. I felt so guilty I put my rod down and went off round the lake with this goose glaring at me and hissing everytime I get anywher near it.
So bang went the rest of the fishing and I'm still trying to catch a carp up there!

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese!

Go to Top of Page

caster crusher
Life Member

Merseyside
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  8:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit caster crusher's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add caster crusher to your friends list

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese!
And the late man gets the Goose

Great tale had me in stiches

Keep dry, and sharks wont get you

Go to Top of Page

Triturus
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 27 April 2004 :  10:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Triturus's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Triturus to your friends list

Tuesday 27th April
Just got back from our first visit to the Willows at Hessay. What a day.
Firstly may I thank Fisky for the time and trouble he took to pass on information about the fishery.

First on the fishery and had choice of all the pegs on both lakes. We'ed already decided not to try for the catfish on Ridge, so plumped for a couple of pegs on Goldrush (38 and 36).
Set the brollies up as it was chucking it down, but at least no wind. Big ide up to a 1.4 on the maggot waggler were quick to make their appearance. Followed by a couple of pasties for Ray. Then the first tench arrived, followed by another and another alternating corn and maggot. A good mixture of normal and goldens upto about a pound. A common of about 3lb nearly took the rod out of my hands, cripes they go like s**t off a shovel.
Still raining.
Ray puts the pole up and gets another couple of carp and a good tench. Meanwhile its tench, tench and more tench for me. The bottom must be covered with them.
3pm and at last the brolley comes down and up goes the pole, 12 metres puts me against the grass and 3 carp in three casts on corn puts another 10lb in the virtual net. Another big ide, a skimmer and a couple of rudd before the tench start again. Ray has the carp lining up in the peg immediatly behind where he's been all day to finish off with 14.
I had 6 but must have had 30 tench. We estimate a combined catch of 70lb.
A great day was had by all.

Neil

Go to Top of Page

Johnny_macu

Warwickshire
England

Posted - 28 April 2004 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Johnny_macu's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Johnny_macu to your friends list

saturday 24th and sunday 25th

Clifton lakes near rugby

I arrived on the twin peaks pool at around 6:30pm for a nite fishing session and all day sunday. Set up 1st rod on feeder with luncheon meat casted to the island and placed on bleeper. Setting up the tent and off it screams carp of about 7lb. I thought in for a good nite hear then. Re casted same bait same places. i had nothing on this for about 2 hours. So changed to corn and still nothing. It seemed that i had caught the one and only fishing in my swim. however the guy next to me was having fish after fish. So changed baits once again on feeder bait tried pop corn. A fair few bite but no runs :( Its about 12pm now so gettin desprate to catch i chucked sum bread in on the off chances and got in my tent and all i could hear was feeding fish so went on the bread and at around 2pm reel screemed off another mirror bout 7 or 8lb so recasted out the bread and 4pm same again. Morning came and set a little float rod up in the margins lost 2 good fish on it and landed another mirror of around the same size. switched to the method as the bread had died down. Bang straight in. The usual suspect of a 7lb mirror. Then it went dead again and ended up with a common of about 5lb and 6or7 maggots on a size 8. I ended up with 6 carp and my friend had about 10 or 11 and lost a few big fish. all in all a good session considering the week before.

jon

tight lines :D

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 28 April 2004 :  10:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

quote:
Originally posted by Triturus

Tuesday 27th April
Just got back from our first visit to the Willows at Hessay. What a day.
Firstly may I thank Fisky for the time and trouble he took to pass on information about the fishery.

First on the fishery and had choice of all the pegs on both lakes. We'ed already decided not to try for the catfish on Ridge, so plumped for a couple of pegs on Goldrush (38 and 36).
Set the brollies up as it was chucking it down, but at least no wind. Big ide up to a 1.4 on the maggot waggler were quick to make their appearance. Followed by a couple of pasties for Ray. Then the first tench arrived, followed by another and another alternating corn and maggot. A good mixture of normal and goldens upto about a pound. A common of about 3lb nearly took the rod out of my hands, cripes they go like s**t off a shovel.
Still raining.
Ray puts the pole up and gets another couple of carp and a good tench. Meanwhile its tench, tench and more tench for me. The bottom must be covered with them.
3pm and at last the brolley comes down and up goes the pole, 12 metres puts me against the grass and 3 carp in three casts on corn puts another 10lb in the virtual net. Another big ide, a skimmer and a couple of rudd before the tench start again. Ray has the carp lining up in the peg immediatly behind where he's been all day to finish off with 14.
I had 6 but must have had 30 tench. We estimate a combined catch of 70lb.
A great day was had by all.

Neil

Well done Neil

There are hoards of tench in there, I guess there weren't many people fishing, so if you were the only ones feeding then they probably all came into your swim lol. Did you get many of the golden ones?

Ex-MD Barmpot Lester Jones drew peg 36 on saturday, and had 13lb. Peg 38 only had about 3 fish i think. But conditions do change, and pleasure fishing is very good there...

Go to Top of Page

Triturus
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 28 April 2004 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Triturus's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Triturus to your friends list

Yes Ben I reckon 30% were of the golden variety and fought just as hard as the regular green ones. It must be quite tight on that peninsula if all the pegs are taken, where do you ship your pole back to?
Thanks again for the info

Neil

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 29 April 2004 :  1:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Erm....... it is a bit of a nightmare on that peninsula... you have to break down twice, and sometimes at an angle.

Go to Top of Page

mma
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 29 April 2004 :  2:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit mma's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add mma to your friends list

Ben,

Your right it's a nightmare on there. We had a club match there last year and I drew the 1st peg on the R/H/S as you walk up the peninsula. Although it's only about 11mtrs to the tree's in front of you, shipping back was a work of art. Mind you it was made much easier when the guy behind me on the 1st peg on the left started fishing down the edge. I used his pole as a make shift roller. LOL !.
Was he happy ? No !

Pools Fodda

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jeff Wye
Life Member

Somerset
England

Posted - 29 April 2004 :  8:15:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeff Wye to your friends list

Had a great day yesterday, went to Stafford Moor Dolton Devon and fished two pools one in morning produced loads of small tench and crucians, afternoon one(photo) produced carp, skimmers, tench(Golden & Normal)and crucians, It'[s a great place with plenty of lakes absolutely stuffed. Andy Seery and his family used to run Whiteacres so he knows a thing or two. Well worth lads from upcountry looking into staying in one of his lodges,, need a few of you 'cos don't think it's cheap. There's mixed lakes and speci lakes.Brill but half hour too far for us to fish the matches regulary.
Jeff

Jeff Wye

Edited by - Jeff Wye on 29 April 2004 8:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gazhilla
Pasted to Death

Site Supporter

Lancashire
Bahamas

Posted - 30 April 2004 :  9:38:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gazhilla to your friends list

Hi all,
fished Tewitfields today in glorious sunshine!!
Got there at eight just as it was opening up. Set up the carp rod with tutti frutti boilie and out for a change came the match rod with the abu closed face reel. Set up a waggler in eight feet of water on a swim I have not fished before. In with a few pouchfulls of pellets on the carp line and a couple of pouches of maggot on the waggler line. Straight away into a buch of two ince suicidal rudd and roach, doesn't matter what i do can't get through them to anything better. tried laying on with a lot of shot on the bottom but seems that they are like mini exocets intercepting the bait on the way down. By 9.30 about 40 fish in the net and a quick visit from Les the owner and a chat about recent carp catches. Started to get slightly bigger fish and then a few skimmers of about 8oz. Not a knock on the carp rod and after another hour cat it out again and added another couple of pouches of pellets. its about 11 am now and I have still got the whole place to myself and factor 15 sunscreen on as it is so hot!!!!
Kept catching the little silvers and then eventually after lunchtime a few turn up to have a go at the trout on the main lake. Still catching bits and decide to try the pole on a line at 9m. Forcing the bait through the water brings a couple of roach to about a pound and then the bits go on suicide bid again. Went back to the rod about 2.30 and was joined by two lads of about 10 on the coarse lake who were over the moon catching 1oz rudd every cast, great to see them having fun and being well behaved as well. Lots of trout being caught by every angler on the main lake too. About 3.30 hit a large bunch of decent roach of rudd about 25yds out and soon into fish of between 8oz and a pound every cast on double bronze maggot. Carried on like this until I had to pack up at 4.30 with an aching arm from the little buggers fighting like demons on a 1lb hook length. Lifted the net out expecting about 15lb in it and found about 200- 250 fish in it. Weighed it and 42lb of silvers with the best being a roach of 1lb 10oz. Got home tired and with a sun tan.
What a great day and by my standards a good haul, what better than a day on a good lake with good weather and anglers of all ages having fun.
Gazhilla

Will Be Sponsored By MAP one day !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

SianD

Hampshire
England

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  10:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SianD's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add SianD to your friends list

First when we got to Yateley lakes we looked round the place, and found a space.Dad set up my rods first he put pellets on it.Then I cought A fish it was a 4lb 9 oz. Dad was laughing as I tried to pull the tench in because it nearly pulled me in. It was quite pretty with no scars and was quite slippy and heavy.

We changed to maggots and I was in luck again with a bream. It weighed 7lb 4oz it looked like a dinner plate. Its tail poked out of the weigh sling. It didn't take long for it to get up and flapping again.

Later on a tench was on its way and it was a lady who had laid it's eggs and didn't have much of a stomach. She had a few scars from being down laying her eggs. She weighed 3lb 7oz. We put her in the net inside the water. It lay there for quite a while and we started to get worried. Then finally she came out.

Dad wasn't in very much luck but finally got a fish he'd been waiting for. It was a 3lb 15oz tench. At least he got a fish at last.

We took pictures of all of the fish and here they are.

Sian

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  10:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Great report and pictures Sian, you've got a bigger grin than your Dad as well

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

susie Q
' Nora '

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  11:33:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add susie Q to your friends list

Welcome to MD's Sian, a great report with good pictures.
Watch out dad

cyanide sue.

Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  02:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Well Done SianD, Cracking fish, beat your Dad 3-1 !!!
Nine points for the fish race too !!

I bet it will take a month for that BIG SMILE to vanish

Watch out Fisky, there's a newcomer on the "scene mate".

Red Leader's got no chance of beating you SianD.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  08:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Wow, Well done Sian.
What a super 1st report and photos.Good to see that you let dad catch one in the end.
Some fish to be proud of there, Keep it up.

Peter.

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

dazalio
DAZ

Teesside
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  11:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit dazalio's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dazalio to your friends list

First report on this site despite being a member for what must be about a year now?

Stayin at a campsite with my brother in hutton sessay we decided on fishing the Oaks just a couple miles down the road. We arrived and got fishing by around 7. We were fishing the Oaks lake round the back of the canteeen and due to the warm weather we both decided on fishing a float setup. We both fished 4lb line straight through with 18 hooks, hookbait was maggot and fed groundbait which was a 50/50 mix of frenzied hemp and maize. Cant remember what peg I was on but I was in one of the island pegs other than fishing in open water which was what most the other anglers were doing and my bro was in the next peg on my left. After a while fishing in the margins with many bites but was unable to connect with any fish I hooked a decent roach about a pound and a half. I went on to catach two more good sized roach when I got a shout from the next peg, this was my bro who managed to hook a carp as well as his first fish of the day. Upon landing we estimated it was easily 2lb. Desperately trying to catch a carp as I still hadn't managed to successfully hook and land a carp I decided to fish in the open water. By this time the sun was really shining and the heat was almost unbearable. Upto now the only carp I saw caught was the 2lber our brother had caught everyone else seem to be catching skimmers. Still getting loads of bites in open water but these were just like the previous bites and far too fast to strike at. I ended up daydreaming and staring at some bread an angler earlier through in (I suspect to see if the carp were taking it off the surface) when I felt my rod jolt forward nearly clean out of my hands and I looked towards my float then realised I had a fish on and it wasn't a tiddler and a couple of minutes scrappin the fish was still steaming around when my brother had came over and whilst trying to help contributing to the hook pulling out of the fishes mouth. I carried on with my float back in the same place, then my float sank and I struck and a few minutes playing the fish it was landed and estimated to weigh around 4.5lb my first carp and personal best ever fish (may sound small but I was well chuffed). I carried on as I had been fishing all day my brother then caught a carp around the same size as mine. Then I followed that up with two more carp also around the same size. Still getting bites but very burned we decided to head back to the site very pleased with ourselves for a BBQ and a few bottles. From what we saw me and my bro did quite well considering only a few people on the lake were actually catching anything and only knew of two other carp being caught. Sadly forgot the camera so no pics but will definately get some next time.

As I earlier mentioned I was getting loads of bites (really hundreds) in the margins then they carried on in open water. It seemed like the fish were getting a taste of the maggot then spitting it back out.
Does anyone know how to reduce/stop this happening?
I know I could have bagged loads more if it wasnt for this happening.

Cheers in advance for any replies
ALIO

"Nothing increases the size of your catch as much as the absence of witnesses".

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.58 seconds.