The Maggotdrowners Forum - Skimmer pole floats
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Skimmer pole floats
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raggy

Cornwall
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  6:54:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add raggy to your friends list
Hi all,
This winter i have been fishing alot for skimmers on the pole.
I'm fishing commercials with depths around 6ft. I know what lines and hooks to fish but i'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on what the best float to use is and if they have had more success with one float shape than another.
Thanks

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Meat Master
Life Member

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  6:59:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meat Master to your friends list
4x16 tubertini delta. or jean francios with the tip replaced with a 1mm plastic one.

Go to Top of Page

geeman
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  7:58:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geeman to your friends list
Mick Wilkinson F1 Sticks, perfect for skimmers.

Go to Top of Page

Auto
Terry

Site Supporter

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Protectyourbubble.com My rating 0/10

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  8:15:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Auto to your friends list
Colmic Jolly (or similar shape)

If you don't hear it with your own ears or see it with your own eyes, Don't invent it with your tiny brain and share it with your big mouth.

Maggot Drowners Rolfs Pairs Pools Fodder 2011 / 2012. 2013 2nd (Thanks to Mugger)
Go to Top of Page

crag p
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  8:22:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crag p to your friends list
kc carpa rasior carbon stemmed

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

NateFX
Life Member

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit NateFX's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add NateFX to your friends list
Colmic Jolly's or Preston PB22's.

Nathan

Go to Top of Page

Corn Master
Ze Corn Master

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  9:57:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Corn Master to your friends list
Preston Silvers or I agree PB22

www.middytackle.com

www.bagem.co.uk

www.ukmatchangler.com
Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 09 January 2012 :  10:00:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
The only float worth considering for skimmers is a standard peacock waggler.

Go to Top of Page

raggy

Cornwall
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2012 :  7:57:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raggy to your friends list
Thanks guys much appreciated!
Anyone else have any other favourite float patterns??

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

glint
tewton

Devon
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2012 :  8:17:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glint to your friends list
I got these sensas floats off ebay, they are fluro orange body so I've black markered them a bit but haven't found a better skimmer float.

Image Insert:

If someone knows what the pattern is I would love to buy some more...

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 10 January 2012 :  8:17:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
Drennan roach really mate. Pencils, stix and norrowed body floats are a personal favourite for pellet fishing, which when Im targetting skimmers, tends to be the bait of choice.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

pole addict
Baconmeister

Site Supporter

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2012 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pole addict to your friends list
NG Gimp with 1.2mm tip if there's skim or tow.

NG finesse with 1.2mm tip if conditions allow.

Both floats have nice longish tips so will show lift bites well when shotted in that way.

Edited by - pole addict on 11 January 2012 4:48:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

mouse77
Life Member

Staffordshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 January 2012 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mouse77 to your friends list
Hillbilly diddly squatt are the best skimmer floats I have used.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

hempy
Alan

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 11 January 2012 :  5:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hempy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hempy to your friends list
As you will have gathered we all have our fav floats but the real truth is that you should use a float that suits the conditions you are fishing and not a float for a specific species, when a fish bites a properly presented bait the float goes under but you cannot select a species that will bite at a specific float type.

Go to Top of Page

geeman
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 January 2012 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add geeman to your friends list
Fair point well made hempy

Go to Top of Page

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 12 January 2012 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list
I have been using giblets finesse floats for a while now

the glass stemmed ones, been a very good all round float for skimbibblybobs, carps, roachies and mutant F1's

they work well, fished shallow, on the drop, dead depth and double bulked

with a surprising array of baits to

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
www.hillbillyfloats.co.uk
www.marukyu.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cant win
Life Member

Poland

Posted - 12 January 2012 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cant win to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by glint

I got these sensas floats off ebay, they are fluro orange body so I've black markered them a bit but haven't found a better skimmer float.

Image Insert:

If someone knows what the pattern is I would love to buy some more...

i have just had a look in past sensas catalogues from 2009 and i cant see them so i think they must be earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 13 January 2012 :  01:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by hempy

As you will have gathered we all have our fav floats but the real truth is that you should use a float that suits the conditions you are fishing and not a float for a specific species, when a fish bites a properly presented bait the float goes under but you cannot select a species that will bite at a specific float type.

Not quite a true statement hempy.

When I fish the "Lift Rig" my float is dotted, sometimes even just under the surface, but still visible, and when a fish picks up my "properly presented bait" my float come rising up.
Works great on SKIMMERS too.

Edited by - davidsenior on 13 January 2012 02:00:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

hempy
Alan

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 13 January 2012 :  09:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit hempy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hempy to your friends list
Spot on "cleggy" i agree with what you say,. the point i was trying to make is that afloat should be selected to present a bait properly in the conditions you are faced with and not selected to target a specific species.

Go to Top of Page

Paul od
dave

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 13 January 2012 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paul od to your friends list
I'd say 'think roach', basically. The calmer the weather, the more streamlined the float and the finer the insert. Other than that I think you'd be overcomplicating things.
You can play around with shotting too, remember. 'Double bulk' type shotting if they're having it, and a strung bulk with (for me) anything up to around half a dozen small droppers for the hard days...'and all points in between' (bit of ZZ Top for you there...!!).
In that depth I'd be looking at around 4 x 14 sizes as a rule, but obviously it'll depend again on conditions.
This may or may not be what other people think!

PaulOD
Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 13 January 2012 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Paul od

I'd say 'think roach', basically. The calmer the weather, the more streamlined the float and the finer the insert. Other than that I think you'd be overcomplicating things.
You can play around with shotting too, remember. 'Double bulk' type shotting if they're having it, and a strung bulk with (for me) anything up to around half a dozen small droppers for the hard days...'and all points in between' (bit of ZZ Top for you there...!!).
In that depth I'd be looking at around 4 x 14 sizes as a rule, but obviously it'll depend again on conditions.
This may or may not be what other people think!

Its funny you should say that Paul, because in choppy whether I find a streamlined float less likely to 'bounce' in the waves. However, there is also tow to consider, which needs body. Also deeper water = more weight = more bouyancy = more body.
Face it its a complicated minefield and its what we love.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1 seconds.