The Maggotdrowners Forum - best float for whip fishing.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 best float for whip fishing.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alcockmat
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alcockmat to your friends list
What is the best float to use for whip fishing.

My current rigs are made with 3x no4 drennan crystal insert wagglers on rigs for 3m 4m 5m and 6m

These seem to work just fine but I'm pretty new to this whip fishing lark so I was wondering if anybody with more experience could point me in the direction of something better.

Or am I fine as I am.

Cheers in advance

Matt.

Edited by - alcockmat on 01 January 2012 6:56:03 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

alcockmat
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  7:05:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alcockmat to your friends list
Or do most use pole floats.

Go to Top of Page

nobbie
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  7:10:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nobbie to your friends list
Where abouts are you fishing the whip (canal, stillwater or river) and what you aiming to catch?

Go to Top of Page

alcockmat
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alcockmat to your friends list
Still waters and canals, fishing on the deck for fish of all species up to about a pound.

If there are different rules for different scenarios then please share.

Go to Top of Page

carpmon43
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  7:33:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carpmon43 to your friends list
i think it depends on the weather mainly, and how far the whip has to flick out against wind.

fine as suits. i like a particular pole stick float for some stuff. its literally a dust shot in the middle and the bait to about 3.5 foot. works well on shallower too.

but.. till you try a couple different ones a few times you wouldnt notice the diferences.

(i've had days with the 'perfic' float on, no bites, then changed the float but fished the same and bagged up, it wasnt registering the bites on the first float).

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

nobbie
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nobbie to your friends list
For most of my whip fishing i either use a sensas auchy with a bulk of tens and some droppers when on the river/canal after roach.

If i am after gudgeon then i will change float to something like a sensas burke, small float with fine bristle, and use an olivette and one dropper to get the bait straight to the bottom.

Go to Top of Page

Nobby_nobbs
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:20:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nobby_nobbs to your friends list
For the whip I use Drennan Stillwater blues or for gudgeon or on the deck any glass or carbon stemmed float

I wish Heisenberg would make his mind up
Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
Not sure if you can still get them but the small Drennan Onions are quite good whip floats if fishing on the drop, I also use small home made stepped peacock wags.

For on the deck I use just a normal pole float.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

mshaw
Life Member

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mshaw to your friends list
I use Richard lattimer whip wagglers, seem to work really well and last a long time.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

celdisco
Life Member

Bristol
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:54:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add celdisco to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by nick_gilbert

Not sure if you can still get them but the small Drennan Onions are quite good whip floats if fishing on the drop, I also use small home made stepped peacock wags.

This comes up a lot -maybe you could put one in your range - 0.5g cane tip - a copy of a drennan pinkie - I'd buy some !

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:55:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by mshaw

I use Richard lattimer whip wagglers, seem to work really well and last a long time.

where can you get these from mate?

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

supersuperleeds
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  8:56:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add supersuperleeds to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by alcockmat

I always put the smallest pole float I have on the whip, lighter the rig the better.

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  9:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by celdisco

quote :
Originally posted by nick_gilbert

This comes up a lot -maybe you could put one in your range - 0.5g cane tip - a copy of a drennan pinkie - I'd buy some !

I can make them if you like just send us a pm with the spec

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 01 January 2012 9:05:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

celdisco
Life Member

Bristol
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  9:06:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add celdisco to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by supersuperleeds

quote :

I always put the smallest pole float I have on the whip, lighter the rig the better.

I like to use a float about 0.5g as if you have a wind behind you its a pantomine trying to catch it to rebait if its too light lol

Go to Top of Page

supersuperleeds
Life Member

Leicestershire

Posted - 01 January 2012 :  9:11:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add supersuperleeds to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by celdisco

quote :
Originally posted by supersuperleeds

quote :

I like to use a float about 0.5g as if you have a wind behind you its a pantomine trying to catch it to rebait if its too light lol

Must admit, my whips are telescopic and I only use them when fishing with the kids, so I just get them to break the whip down or swing it round to me, so don't have this issue.

Go to Top of Page

mshaw
Life Member

Posted - 02 January 2012 :  9:12:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mshaw to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by nutmeg

quote :

Hi,
I ordered these online a few years ago, tried finding the website again but I don't think its live anymore I noticed Leeds Angling stock a couple of Lattimer floats, perhaps worth ringing them

Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

mshaw
Life Member

Posted - 02 January 2012 :  9:15:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mshaw to your friends list
quote :

quote :
Originally posted by nutmeg

quote :

Hi,
I ordered these online a few years ago, tried finding the website again but I don't think its live anymore I noticed Leeds Angling stock a couple of Lattimer floats, perhaps worth ringing them

Cheers.

Hi,

I got this totally wrong The floats I use are actually Mick Bassett whip wagglers - DOH. They are here:

http://www.mbcanalspecials.co.uk/whip_wags.htm

It is the Lattimer Squatt floats I ordered years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

alcockmat
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 January 2012 :  9:43:32 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alcockmat to your friends list
Cheers for all the advice guys.

In gonna get myself a few of these

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/DGTA

New version of stillwater blues, very close in shape to the whip wags that have been mentioned and readily available in my local tackle shop.

Cheers fellas

Matt

Go to Top of Page

Auto
Terry

Site Supporter

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Protectyourbubble.com My rating 0/10

Posted - 02 January 2012 :  11:47:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Auto to your friends list
The best whip float for fishing on the drop ever made is a reversed crowquill. If you want to make one strip the hurl off of a Crow's wing feather with fine emery cloth (about 180 grit) , cut to six inches. Push the fat end into a small silicon float adaptor. Shot either side with a couple of No1 or bb shot , one or two no8 styls for droppers. Small ones for 3m, larger up to 6m.

Best thing is they are absolutely free.

I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm correct.

Maggot Drowners Rolfs Pairs Pools Fodder 2011 / 2012. 2013 2nd (Thanks to Mugger)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.11 seconds.