The Maggotdrowners Forum - Hook type advice
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Hook type advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brick-Top

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  9:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brick-Top's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Brick-Top to your friends list
I'm targeting carp between 5-10lb with perhaps the rare bonus going over but am struggling to nail down the 'perfect hook'. I've been moving between alsorts really and after someones recommendation. I'll generally be using an 8lb main with 6/7lb hooklength

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

thetraveller
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  9:49:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thetraveller to your friends list
Tubertini 175 for spade end. For hair rigs on the tip the QM1 or the Drennan hair-riggers in size 12 in the purple packets for a cheaper hook.

Go to Top of Page

rubberducky
Life Member

Site Supporter

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

enjoying the prospect of fishing. it gets me by...

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  9:51:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rubberducky to your friends list
a man on a mission.
like it.
just need to know first which hooks youve already tried?
i have a few fave hook patterns but also first we will need more info regarding situations and methods you enjoy using. for example method feeder using a hair or snag fishing hit and hold style.
hooks can drive you round the bend...
rubberducky...

5 little ducks went swimming one day, over the hill and far away, mummy duck said quack quack quack, but non of the little ducks came back! Mr pike was one very happy pike indeed...

Edited by - rubberducky on 23 August 2011 9:55:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

multiplex

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  9:54:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add multiplex to your friends list
fox carp match hooks or preston 36 (i think) im sure my mate uses tubertini 808 or 175 (i think ....again) how about them guru hooks, sorry dont really fish for carp much so use what the shop sells at the time.

Go to Top of Page

spanky
needs bank time

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  10:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit spanky's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add spanky to your friends list
I'm a big of the drennan carp feeder barbless hooks (both eyed and spade) for my carp work (both pole and feeder work). Strong and with a slight turn that seems to hold the fish well, plus they come in sizes up to 8 which can be useful when doubles are regularly targeted.

http://fishstrain.blogspot.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Brick-Top

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  10:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brick-Top's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Brick-Top to your friends list
Thanks guys, sorry for the lack of info. Ive tried kamasan animals - 14 kamasan x-strong - 14 drennan carp match - 14 and a mustad variety but I forget the pattern. If you could recommend a hook for both hair rigging and a standard that would be great. Oh and Ive tried the drennan hair rig hooks but only in a 16 with some lighter gear, slightly off point I found it very awkward tieing a knotless not on to this trying to get the first few turns on the shank due to the tapered eye, I managed but is there an easier way?

Go to Top of Page

wireman
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  10:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wireman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add wireman to your friends list
Personaly I use the Preston PR36.
With what your targeting I'd use a sz 14 or 12.

Go to Top of Page

mak 1
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  12:55:56 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mak 1 to your friends list
a thin ish wire hook but look at the middy 93-13 a very good hook i have used the same hook on a sat,sunday and tues matchs, was still as sharp when i had done with it as when i 1st used it and that was with 3 100lb+ catchs and had fiosh to around 16lb too on black hydro with .16 colmic line about 9lb even when it bottomed out with the odd foul hooked fish it was still ok and never opened up at all

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  05:41:05 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
I use the Fox Match Carp 2 eyed barbless size 18 successfully for the type of carp you are targetting. Both on the pole and feeder. I believe you can get an extra strong version of this hook also.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

Edited by - Neil ofthe nene on 24 August 2011 05:41:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

badpegpicker
Proud to be a.....

Northamptonshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  06:49:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add badpegpicker to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

I use the Fox Match Carp 2 eyed barbless size 18 successfully for the type of carp you are targetting. Both on the pole and feeder. I believe you can get an extra strong version of this hook also.

Ditto, and .....err...ditto

Flippin' strong and reliable.

Go to Top of Page

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
A 6lb to 7lb hooklength is very high, unless you are fishing up to snags. I fish 0.14 (4.5lbs) at maximum for snag free water and don't have a problem getting broken, but if I pulled harder I know they would pull back harder, so I don't!

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

davebike
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Pole Mad!

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davebike to your friends list
I use similar strength Line and Hook lengteh I been using Kamasan Animals in 12 and 10 Paste for bait had carp to 12lb and a cat of 14.5 no problem except the act wrecked my hook length !

Dave
West Wickham Kent
maggot@davewilkinsmotorcycles.co.uk
Happy to be a Site Supporter

http://www.edenbridge-angling.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

rubberducky
Life Member

Site Supporter

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

enjoying the prospect of fishing. it gets me by...

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  11:57:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rubberducky to your friends list
kamasan animals i used to use, till I got multiple size 10/12s straightened out fishing to snags by fish around 10lb. they just aint strong enough for that type of hit and hold style approach.
i no longer use these - its all about confidence isnt it!

esp raptor or korda mixa hooks do the business here and ive found the smaller 10/12 sizes best. these even holding fish to 18 lb out of weed and snags. I just need a pole that can cope with the extreme hauling required but thats another story...

Ive just recently used a new hook in my first attempt at a low strength, lower diameter balanced match size carp set up aimed at getting me more bites on these type of waters.

It worked!

using a shakey mach 3 reel, maver abyss x 10 ft match rod with maver genesis 4.2 lb mainline, i caught a few dozen carp to 6 1/2 lb in open water no problem. (apart from one snap which i think was down to not changing my hooklength often enough!)

The new Fox series 2 match carp eyed barbless hooks were brilliant for this type of fishing.
I couldnt believe how much confidence and control using such a small (16 or 18), hook can give you.
I was guiding and pressuring them to the net and playing them off the drag all day with upmost confidence the hook was going to hold and stay in.
I plan to buy a few more sizes of this hook to investigate the possibility these are the best hooks for me for all fishing applications and scenarios. (and like you, give me a sporting chance if a bigger bonus fish is hooked during a session).

I also took recommendation from this site forum regarding guru mwgs which ive used in size 10 on the method feeder and they are a belting hook too.

For catfishing I use drennan specimen hooks in a 2 or 4 as these could quite possibly pull down a tree if you hooked one.

good luck whatever you choose.

rubberducky...

5 little ducks went swimming one day, over the hill and far away, mummy duck said quack quack quack, but non of the little ducks came back! Mr pike was one very happy pike indeed...

Edited by - rubberducky on 24 August 2011 12:04:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

billy the blank
Life Member

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit billy the blank's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add billy the blank to your friends list
I Dont think carp 5-10lb need such heavy hooks unless you are dragging them away from snags. If open water its possible to land these on 0.16 -0.18 line and hooks like Drennan hair riggers or wide gape carp for spade end.

Go to Top of Page

Hatchye
Life Member

Bedfordshire
England

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatchye to your friends list
Tubertini 175s in sizes 1 through to 5 (maggots through to paste)

Go to Top of Page

AL_Peters
'The Entertainer'

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit AL_Peters's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add AL_Peters to your friends list
Guru for me mate they do 2 types have a look and see wha you think i like the mwg hooks these are a brilliant hook mate....

Go to Top of Page

carpmon43
Life Member

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 August 2011 :  10:54:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carpmon43 to your friends list
fox series, the red packet one, 10's to 18's...

drennan margin carp

drennan specimen

prestons wide gape pr24's are good on finiky days, bar the od pull out.

try team england 6lb hooklegth (mine breaks at 5.5ish..test it for legth,shorter breaks easier than longer, on both rod 8lb main and pole 6lb maxima that breaks at 6.1lb on pole). up to mid doubles on both.

Edited by - carpmon43 on 24 August 2011 11:01:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Larry
Lazarus

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 August 2011 :  10:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Larry's Homepage  Send Larry an ICQ Message  Click to see Larry's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Larry to your friends list
Try ESP Raptors i found them great.

Cheer's Larry
http://larrysangling.webs.com/
A joker and a Sage,a Lover and a Spitfire
If it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all.

"Sometimes, in order to open your eyes to the possibilities of today, you have to close your eyes to yesterday"
Sex is like air. It is not important unless you aren't getting any.
Go to Top of Page

Brick-Top

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 August 2011 :  5:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brick-Top's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Brick-Top to your friends list
Thanks guys, the hooklink is on the strong side for the size but I like to fish the line clip against an island full of reeds so the strong line, hook is there to gain early ground on the fish without hitting the clips, cheers, I'll tye some of these up and give them a try

Go to Top of Page

NathanWatson
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 August 2011 :  5:39:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanWatson to your friends list
Fox series 2.

Go to Top of Page

JohnBudd
Life Member

Posted - 10 September 2011 :  12:44:57 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JohnBudd to your friends list
preston pr36's or guru qm1

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1 seconds.