The Maggotdrowners Forum - Beating the tow
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Beating the tow
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

red baron
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  5:47:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add red baron to your friends list

As the subject says how do you beat the tow, yesterday I fished a match and the wind was blowing left to right, and the tow was taking my float right to left.

The 2 guys on boths sides of me both managed to fish with their float staying still, no suprises then when I tell you they both beat me.

The venue was 8 foot deep i was only fishing 3lb line and had a heavy 0.8 float on, and fishing 6 inches over depth.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Ricky24
Rich

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  5:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ricky24's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ricky24 to your friends list
Cralusso might be the only way to go on this. I found the Cralusso shark excellent for holding back hard.

Go to Top of Page

Hatchye
Life Member

Bedfordshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  6:04:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatchye to your friends list
0.8gm in 8ft is only a decent guide for good weather. I would have tried a much larger float probably 2gm and if that did n't work time for feeder on the pole or something similar.

Go to Top of Page

pegasus
benny

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pegasus to your friends list
larger float with a body down shape, balance out the tow place nuber 8 on the deck keep adding weight till it stops the float moving, place most of your bulk shot near the bottom, strike at any float movment.
dont fish pellet over depth unless your using a banded hard pellet.
pencil floats are all the rage at the moment even though they have been around for a long time, they are sensitive and are good on the strike but they are wrong for fishing with a tow cos you cant hold em back

Go to Top of Page

tencherten
Life Member

Gwent

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Send tencherten an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add tencherten to your friends list
Did you try a shot above the float to help get the line underwater and away from the top?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
Backshot, long bristle/body down, 10-12 inches overdepth with a couple of No'8/9 on the deck.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

chubby chubber
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit chubby chubber's Homepage  Send chubby chubber a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add chubby chubber to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by red baron

As the subject says how do you beat the tow, yesterday I fished a match and the wind was blowing left to right, and the tow was taking my float right to left.

The 2 guys on boths sides of me both managed to fish with their float staying still, no suprises then when I tell you they both beat me.

The venue was 8 foot deep i was only fishing 3lb line and had a heavy 0.8 float on, and fishing 6 inches over depth.

why nt just ask the two lads who beat you

oih who"s knicked mi float!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Area39

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  8:14:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Area39 to your friends list
Maver drift float me thinks! I've got two but not used em yet :)

They are a foot long though :)

Go to Top of Page

buygoodtackle
Life Member

Wiltshire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  8:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit buygoodtackle's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add buygoodtackle to your friends list
If the breeze is strong enough, increase the length of line between float and pole and hold the tip about a foot off the water and a foot upstream of the tow- this will allow the wind to counteract the tow and slow your bait right then by adding a couple of inches depth at a time you can get the float still.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

everyready
Life Member

Flintshire
Wales

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  9:43:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add everyready to your friends list
the maver drift are very good ,i fish some up to 16 foot deep and they stay still, and still show the bite.

Go to Top of Page

everyready
Life Member

Flintshire
Wales

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  9:43:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add everyready to your friends list
missed post

Edited by - everyready on 13 July 2011 9:45:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

fordy1
Life Member

Gloucestershire
England

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  10:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Send fordy1 an AOL message  Send fordy1 an ICQ Message Bookmark this reply Add fordy1 to your friends list
is this on a rod or pole??????????????????????????????????????? thats the first question lol.

Go to Top of Page

red baron
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 July 2011 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add red baron to your friends list
thanks for the replies, in answer to fordy1, it was on the pole.

no I didn't try a backshot but that was suggested to me after the match.

Edited by - red baron on 14 July 2011 11:26:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.06 seconds.