The Maggotdrowners Forum - Hartleton fish in 17-20 June. Write ups/photos
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Hartleton fish in 17-20 June. Write ups/photos
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Godber
Priapism! ladies?

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Godber to your friends list
Reports and photos to follow.

Peterstone 2007(lost my 'Fish-in' virginity)
Peterstone 2008(nearly lost my bivvy)
Hartleton 2008(got lost getting there)
Hartleton 2009(lost a pb eel..!!!!!!!!!)
Stanboro 2009(lost the respect of my fellow MD'ers by catching 14, yes 14 huge, Nay...really HUGE perch)
Lindholme April 2010. (Lost my dignity by walking 1/2 a mile around Oasis to retrieve a 1 waggler)
Stanwick lakes 2010. (Lost my rod...beep beep beep..out of bivvy..run to peg..reach for rod..and there it was...GONE!!)
Hartleton 2010. (Lost the use of my legs thanks to Karens generous measures)
Lindholme Sept 2010.( I WON!!!!)
Rolfs April 2011(Won my section. Didn't lose a thing)
Lindholme May 2011(WON AGAIN!!!!. Claimed peg 9 Oasis for Malta.)
Rolfs June 2011. (Lost to Gemma...minxed!)
Hartleton 2011.(Len Wade got very lost, 40 miles to get to the shop 5 miles away.)
Lindholme Sept 2011. (Won my section and won the sunday knock up by an OUNCE.....didn't i Dstev?)
Hartleton 2012. (The sun got lost and it rained and rained by feck it rained)
Lindholme Aug 2012. (won saturday match, won sunday match)
Hartleton June 2013. (Of course there's pike in here Dave, 100% certain......i think.........maybe!!!)
Hartleton June 2014.
Lidholme October 2014. (Lost 3 paste rigs. Battered on Beenie.)

Edited by - Godber on 20 June 2011 7:15:47 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

mocnscott
finally a winner

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  11:25:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mocnscott to your friends list
Looking forward to hearing your reports guys. I hope the newbies all enjoyed it and I hope to see you next year.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Barbelcatcher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  11:27:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Barbelcatcher to your friends list
We're waiting with eager anticipation - lets have that report!

Go to Top of Page

Godber
Priapism! ladies?

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  1:10:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Godber to your friends list
The fish in was organised for Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday however its not uncommon for people to turn up on the thursday to 'nab' the better carp pegs opposite the boat house.
Lets rewind a tad to tuesday evening 2130 and i'm sat in work when the phone rings, its from Arky "Guess where i am?" he asked, "where" i enquired "Hartleton" he answered "along with Breamcatcher, Stymie, Roachy and Roachette, Sidewinders and Mandy on their way so are MrV and Karen,and CZpool and Mrs" The Northern hordes had arrived en masse and made Hartleton into MaggotDrownersVille.
So on Thursday i took a drive up, bearing in mind i was the organiser on and off and then back on again, a day early but one of the last to arrive. I managed to pitch my tent between Arky and Pats and Welshwingnut and set about the task of catching a few fish. A bait was chucked the 100 meters to the far bank cabbages to snag a carp or two. My other line saw me spod in a mix of 4 and 8mm pellets, a tin of corn and some hemp in the hope that the big shoals of bream would settle in and snag themselves on my tip rod. Now for the embarrassing bit, the final days catch: Carp 0, Bream 0, skimmers 1(very small), Roach 1(very smaller) It wasn't looking good and word was no-one was baggin and no carp were coming out at all.
That night we made up fot the lack of fishing with a Maggotdrowners drown your fishing sorrows night with a few beers and a bit of a sing song Welshwing nut had brought a tent bigger than my house which we used to good effect as the Fish in ale tent, Cheers mate, much appreciated
Day 2 and i decided to go mobile, loaded my gear onto my barrow and headed off into the woods up by Czpool. I found a peg next to an overhanging tree. My attack was the pole and corn fished over hemp by the tree and out in open water i fished corn and 4mm pellet over micros. The morning saw me put about 9 Bream upto about 2lb in the net and also a dropped roah that would have gone a lb+ easy The afternoon session and i decided to do a 5hour match against myself. Starting with an empty net i fished corn over micros wehich i found to be the more fruitful approach. I eventuall finished at 6pm and got the scales. I weighed in 24lb 4oz of skimmers bream and roach which wasn't a bad effort.
That night saw much of the same as the night before, much beer was drunk and a right good larrff was had with MrsV Karen telling us a few jokes. Again the word was that not much had come out and the carp were playing hard to get although MrV Paul did get into a cracking large scaled Bream which turned out to be a Common of 12lb, whilst fishing for bits on a 6 laccy and 2 reds on the hook. A few of the carpers were pretty bloody envious Well done Paul, top bit of angling.
The 3rd day Saturday and i decided to fish my original peg next to Arky, again on the pole at 9m micros as feed with corn on the hook. It proved to be another good day with decent bream and skimmers coming to my net all day. The wind proved to be a pain with the odd pole snapping gust making it hard to present a bait. I reckon i did between 15 and 20lb. The carp anglers had switched their attentions to Eels after Czpool Chris had pulled in an impressive 3lb+ snake.

I will end here as that was more or less the end of my fishing. Eeels, missed runs and downright shenanigans make up the rest of our stay at Hartleton. At last the weather was good enough for a BBQ with Jessebob doing the chefs bit, eventually, and at long last a bottle of spiced rum being cracked open. Unfortunately some of you know what a special relationship me and spicey have and the rest of the evening is a tad embarrassing as i started to show off a little. Someone else can explain

Sunday was a pack up day with me eventually leaving at about 3pm. I had a cracking good time, met old friends and made new ones. Ok the fishing wasn't the best but the 'craic' on these fish ins is second to none. Thanks to everyone for coming along and joining in

I will post some photos later.

Stanboro 2009(lost the respect of my fellow MD'ers by catching 14, yes 14 huge, Nay...really HUGE perch)
Lindholme April 2010. (Lost my dignity by walking 1/2 a mile around Oasis to retrieve a 1 waggler)
Stanwick lakes 2010. (Lost my rod...beep beep beep..out of bivvy..run to peg..reach for rod..and there it was...GONE!!)
Hartleton 2011.(Len Wade got very lost, 40 miles to get to the shop 5 miles away.)
Lindholme Sept 2011. (Won my section and won the sunday knock up by an OUNCE.....didn't i Dstev?)
Hartleton June 2013. (Of course there's pike in here Dave, 100% certain......i think.........maybe!!!)
Hartleton June 2014.

Edited by - Godber on 20 June 2011 1:12:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

mocnscott
finally a winner

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mocnscott to your friends list
Harleton shock headline: "Spicey owns Godber AGAIN"

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jessebobs
Steve!

Bristol
Mauritius

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Jessebobs an AOL message  Click to see Jessebobs's MSN Messenger address  Send Jessebobs a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Jessebobs to your friends list
As has already been mentioned, the fish-in was arranged for Thursday to Monday so I had booked 3 days off work and decided there was no need to rush on Thursday as the journey would take me an hour and I had all day to get there, so I arrived around lunchtime to find ..... a sea of tents and bivvies and virtually every pitch taken!
The usual suspects were in evidence: Godber, Wingnut, Muskie & Hamish, Arkie and his translator (Aunty Pat), the Roachies etc, plus quite a few more that I hadn't met before but soon would!
I had intended to set up in the deeper pegs towards the dam end but it became apparent that the better fishing was further up around the island so I settled myself in a pitch between the Sidewinders and Dstev and his "brother-in-law".
And from then on the fun began!
As I was quite a way away from Aunty Pat it looked like I was going to struggle to be "looked after" but fortunately Sidewinder Dave had thoughtfully packed his own tea and crumpet maker, the lovely Mandy, so I didn't starve to death (although she could do with a few lessons in catering and hospitality from Aunty Pat who has it down to a fine art from years of waiting on Arkie)!
Not to worry though, as myself and the Sidewinder invented a new version of the "coffee break" that managed to take the edge off of any pangs of hunger.
Had a bit of fun with another of my neighbours, Bootlace-Catcher (formerly Breamcatcher) when I swapped the seat of my Milo which was completely saturated with his lovely dry gel seat and even did a bit of fishing.
Rather than make things too easy by fishing a clipped-up method feeder I chose to tackle the lake with some more traditional gear and dusted the cobwebs off some old reels and a Drennan Im.8 13' feeder rod and my old Whisker Kevlar 14' waggler rod which between them managed to produce some skimmers, along with a few more skimmers with the odd skimmer thrown into the mix!
When the wind dropped I was able to put my pole to use and caught more skimmers (funny that) at 14m on paste, corn, soft pellet and 6mm cubes of meat.
Saturday night was party night so I donned my "going out" shoes, sprayed a bit of Ted Baker about and, assisted by sous chef, Sidewinder, chucked a few burgers on the barbie before hitting the party tent for much silliness (mostly coming from the Welsh fireman) and then, at about midnight, staggered back for a lock-in with the Sidewinders, Breamy (and his very attractive dog) and someone called Jack Daniels who I'd never met before but apparently got on really well with!
In between all this nonsense I did manage to take a few pics .......

Camp Jessebobs er, hang on, Jessebobs' Camp My set-up!

The daily maid service (sorry Mandy, it had to be done)

My Sunday night "Billy no-mates" BBQ

My tea light lantern

The island

A rather over-protective swan ....

..... and his family

I caught a few of these, in fact, way more than thirty and most were bigger than Dave's!

Seconds later that hanger was smashing the rod butt and line was ripping off the clutch!

As ever, I had a smashing time, met some real characters, got a bit drunk, caught some skimmers, shared a few sad stories and forgot about the rest of the world for four days ..... what more could anyone ask for.
See you all sooner rather than later,
Steve

Go to Top of Page

Godber
Priapism! ladies?

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  6:51:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Godber to your friends list
As promised a few photo's

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. I'll let you decide who's who

Our very own Bogmonster, a man with no sense of direction. Note the graffiti.

MaggotVille to the right.

And to my left.

Fish in ettiquette insists you turn your back when using the toilet facities. Shame about the folk in the other tents eh Arky?

Light you bugger LIGHT!!! 9pm and still no food. Unfortunately the chef had sampled a bit too much of the cooking wine and beer and bacardi and Jack D and......................

MrV and his 12lb large scaled bream caught on 6 laccy with 2 red maggots whilst bit fishing.

Stymie landing a nive 10lb common ably aided by Aunty Pat. Sorry no photo Stymie, my batteries ran out

The 'Boathouse peg. Looks very fishy.

A close up. It proved to be barren of fish.

A rather windblown Arky.....how red????

Len Wade and Welshwingnut enjoying a beer in the 'Ale tent'

Dstev and his bro in law doing the same. The moon...the moon...its so powerful

A girl.

A handsome bugger with his 24lb 4oz bag of Bream skimmers and roach.

Shaggy or is it Hamish???

Aunty Pat and Karen doing what they do best.(note another bottle of alcoholic beverage in the process of being 'done')

God knows!!! The old git in the house opposite does these sculptures. Personally i think they are an eyesore, why spoil beautiful countryside with these monstrosities.

Why FFS why??!!??

PAAAARRRRTTTTYYYYYYYY

Light you bugger LIGHT!!!!

The guests, dressed for dinner, assembled on the terrace.

Dave, Dave errr Dave and Mandy. Oh yes and Len after his round Britain beer shopping trip. 2ND LEFT LEN, SECOND LEFT!!!!!

Lucky bugger.

At last a fish. Stonking great big 3lb+ eeeeel for Welshwing nut.

The wee small hours and only the die hards are left.

A bit of girl on girl action

As you can see not many pictures of fish to show but who cares hey? We all had a cracking good time as the photos show. A good crowd showed up this year and made it another fish in to remember. Till the next one

Hartleton June 2014.

Edited by - Godber on 20 June 2011 7:49:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dannysdad
Guv

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

In God I trust ....Everyone else is a suspect!

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  7:12:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dannysdad to your friends list
Nice One Mick

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I keep my enemies to a minimum but if you are on that list you will never forget me

Go to Top of Page

wokkie
Riccardo El Paxo

Lancashire
Svalbard And Jan Mayen Islands

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  7:18:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wokkie to your friends list
WTFYou just cannot take him anywhere These photos go straight onto my computer for future reference

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

dstev
Dave

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

(Used to)Live, breathe and sleep fishing.

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dstev to your friends list
My post from the now locked thread:

Had a fantastic weekend, I really enjoyed my first trip to Hartleton. The fishing wasn't the best but this was more than made up by the great people I spent the weekend with. Special mentions to:

Steve (jessebobs) - for putting up with me (and my partner )
Breamy, Dave and Mandy - for having some "normal" (northern) folk to talk to
Godber - for the evening entertainment
Graham (welshwingnut) - for setting me up to go Barbel fishing and the trip to the Wye
Doug (Len Wade) - for sharing a bottle of Southern Comfort with (and probably regretting it)
Brian the fish - for being there to talk feeder tactics!

EVERYONE ELSE who I met! You were all fantastic people, and I certainly cannot wait until next year!

Edited by - dstev on 20 June 2011 7:43:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jessebobs
Steve!

Bristol
Mauritius

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  10:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Jessebobs an AOL message  Click to see Jessebobs's MSN Messenger address  Send Jessebobs a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Jessebobs to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Godber

Light you bugger LIGHT!!! 9pm and still no food. Unfortunately the chef had sampled a bit too much of the cooking wine and beer and bacardi and Jack D and......................

Now just one minute young man!
Firstly, the chef likes to eat late, second, I don't drink wine, thirdly, our coffee break started around 11am and didn't end until past 7 so I had hardly any time to do my hair and if you think I'm going to stand around while the Welsh Wingnut throws paraffin around think again!!
Note the essential chef's equipment .... pack of cigs and a bottle opener

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

banksy
Life Member

Site Supporter

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  10:53:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banksy to your friends list
Cracking session guys !

Sorry I didn't manage to keep up with the craic this year, I'm just getting to old to burn the candle at both ends !

I was up and fishing by about 6.30 - 7 am every day, and had some beautiful roach, many between 8 and 12oz, with a few roach and rudd which were pushing 1 lb. Hemp & tares, Peter (Barbelcatcher} in case you're looking in!

The best fish I netted was a scale-perfect common carp of about 12 lb.
That was a lovely fish Graham, well done!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  11:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list
Nice write up Mick, good turn out.

I see one or two old faces on those pictures who never got a mention, did they do summat wrong.

That Arkwright you CAN take him anywhere !!..... but you have to take him back to apologise.

Nice BREAM Paul !! 12lb on the Bream elastic, well done for getting that in.

WOT NO PICTURES OF JESSEBOBS......in "PINK" this year ???

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jessebobs
Steve!

Bristol
Mauritius

My Photo Album

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  11:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Jessebobs an AOL message  Click to see Jessebobs's MSN Messenger address  Send Jessebobs a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Jessebobs to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by davidsenior

WOT NO PICTURES OF JESSEBOBS......in "PINK" this year ???

Ahem, look closely Cleggy and you may notice a bit of pinkness going on under the sweatshirt!

Go to Top of Page

Godber
Priapism! ladies?

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  2:26:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Godber to your friends list
C'MON FOLKS it wasn't that bad you dont want to post was it???

Hartleton June 2014.

Go to Top of Page

common_carp
Pike Master...

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  3:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see common_carp's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add common_carp to your friends list
was there any big fish caught? or was it not that type of fish in mate?

Go to Top of Page

Godber
Priapism! ladies?

Site Supporter

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Godber to your friends list
A few carp came out but very few. Talk was they were spawning up in the shallow end. The tench never really showed either. Personally i think with the amount of rods in the water we pushed the carp away and the very changeable weather wasn't a help either.

Hartleton June 2014.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MrV
Yorkshire exile

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrV to your friends list
What a brilliant fish in.....Thanks to Graham and Part time organiser Mick. Me and Kaz arrived Wednesday late afternoon, and it was a beautiful hot, sunny afternoon. Several earlybirds were already there, and apart from a 10lb Common for Stymie, the fishing was slow. I decided to fish a peg near the overhead power lines, and put my 2 rigs over to the far bank, then drove round the lake with Arky to feed my swims and his
Returned and set up my "proper" fishing gear, pole and a couple of top kits, one 2lb straight through to a 20 hook for the Roach and small stuff and another 3lb straight through to a 16 hook for the Bream and Tench. Caught well on the lighter rig, Bream up to 2lb and some nice Roach.
Packed in on the pole gear as it went dark, and was just about to reel in the carping gear when I had a run and landed a 10lb 3oz Common. Never had another bite on the Carping stuff all weekend, but did manage to snare a 12 lber on the Roach rig, which fought like a "Big Bream" for quite a while, and only scrapped when Aunty Pat tried to net it the first time. Eventually netted, it was a prefectly scaled Common (see piccie on Godbers post). Other highlights of the trip were Arky hooking and losing an eel of 11 st 12lbs, twice!!
The social scene was excellent as usual. The barbequeue was brilliant, and extremely funny at times and I met some new members (Len, Brian the Fish, Jessebobs, dstev) and some old familiar friends who made it a great weekend. Thanks to you all A few piccies for your perusal. Wokkie, if you read this, I have kept some back of Captain teapot for you to play with

This carp fishing is easy.....a nice little 10 lber on my first evening.

If you zoom in to Camp MD's you may get a surprise.....Karen did

A bit of a social event

Things did get a bit warm later

He couldn,t buy a bite, but the Bronze Adonis managed to make the ladies smile, I think he had sent Graham to sleep!!

The weather was a little bit "changeable" but some stunning photo opportunities

Edited by - MrV on 21 June 2011 5:02:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

stymie
Life Member

North Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  6:54:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stymie to your friends list
Aye another grand get together, fishing wasn't up to much this year but the company sure made up for it, typical weather as well, hot and sunny then followed by the ever present rain. Had a laugh as always, nice to meet up with the regular ugly mugs again as well as a few new faces, pretty sure the latter will find themselves at many more of these events in the near future.

Only bad point for me was returning to my bivvy to find SOMEONE had instructed the portaloo delivery bloke to dump one of them outside my bivvy door, nice view first thing in a morning I can tell you, revenge will be mine my little lancashire pal!!! Good job the wind didn't change or there would have been trouble.

Cheers for organising this boys, roll on the next one. Oh and just for the record my first fish was 13lb 14oz, second was 10lb. (size matters don't you know)

Go to Top of Page

Len Wade
Bog-Monster

Site Supporter

Norfolk
United Kingdom

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  8:33:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Len Wade to your friends list
Well, that was certainly an interesting few days out in the wilds of Herefordshire!

I arrived around lunchtime on Thursday (having wangled an extra day's leave ) and had a bit of a wander to stretch my legs and see who was about. Having said hello to Godber and all the usual suspects I eventually pitched camp between Banksy and Stymie, both of whom made me feel very welcome.

I managed a couple of hours fishing before it got dark and mugged a couple of skimmers, so that was encouraging. We all swapped a bit of gossip and tackle talk and after a few beers, Mr Arkwright and Co decided to "Spod the granny" out of the boathouse swim using throwing sticks and "Stymie's Doodlebug", which reminded me of the sort of bombs the Royal Flying Corps used to drop on Jerry's trenches from their Sopwith Camels during the first World War!

Mind you, Stymie's casting all weekend was awe-inspiringly accurate, a real pleasure to watch.

On Friday I fiddled and faffed around with various rigs and set-ups, and couldn't really settle into a rythm. I guess I was pre-occupied with the thought of having an evening session on the Wye with Graham and a few of the lads.........
Graham gave me a lift and we met up with Arky, Dstev (Dave) his brother-in-law, and was it Paul as well?

I must admit that the access to the river took me a bit by surprise: it hadn't been fished in three months and to say that the banks were a bit "overgrown" would be an understatement!

Graham and Arky managed to find a home on a bit of a rocky outcrop and not wishing to cramp their style I made my way back downstream. After a good bit of hacking and bashing I finally found a precarious refuge about three feet above the river, and proceeded to tackle-up "a la Chris Yates style", i.e. eight pound line, a one ounce drilled bullet and a chunk of meat on a number six hook, and I literally had to lean back into the undergrowth to stop from falling in.

After about twenty minutes of intense concentration, my reverie was shattered by this enormous SPLASH over by the far bank, closely followed by another thumping SPLOSH! I stopped fishing and looked around to see if any undesirables were chucking bricks in the river. Nothing. No movement on the far bank, all quiet. WTF was it?

Then I saw it: flying through the air with line attached, a beer can punched full of holes and filled with groundbait and weighted down with half a pound a roofing lead!!!!!

Nothing less than the "Arkwright and Wingnut Wye Barbel Feeder" (Patent applied for.) If that ever hit a fish on the head it would kill it stone dead.

These boys don't do things by halves, do they?

(Please forgive the SLIGHT exaggeration in the best interests of humorous prose. )

We only managed about three hours fishing all told, and no barbel, but the Wye is a beautiful river and I would love another crack at it, from a slightly easier swim next time!

Saturday saw me getting my act together with a fair few fish on the feeder, but nothing to get excited about. After dodging the showers all afternoon and with the evening's barbecue fast approaching I decided it was time to pop into Ross-on-Wye and get some beers.....

People have always said that a Lemming has got a better sense of direction than me, and so it proved. Getting my lefts and rights somewhat confused, I did a forty mile round trip of the M50, and took two and a half hours on a shopping trip that should have lasted twenty minutes at most.......

Never mind, I made it back in one piece and was just in time for a delicious supper, provided and cooked by the extremely capable and dapper Jessebobs. Well done that man.

The rest of the evening passed pleasantly as always with lots of beer, abuse and banter. A few decent eels livened things up, one landed, two lost? and a good time was had by all. (I think. At least I didn't wake up in a ditch this time.......)

Sunday morning afternoon I finally surfaced and saw that most people were slowly packing up and leaving, so I did too. You sometimes get the feeling that the fishing is not going to get any better no matter how much longer you stay, and I figured it was time to go.

So it's goodbye to Hartleton for this year, I had a really relaxing time with a super bunch of lads and lassies, and I suppose that's what it's all about, really.

Special thanks to all the following:

To Mick for organising it all, keeping things going and leading the sing-alongs.

To Banksy, for being a good neighbour and fixing me up with bait.

To Stymie, for fixing me up with the carp rig.

To Graham, for bringing the beer tent and sorting out the river trip.

To Jessebobs, for the barbie.

And finally to Arky, just for being Arky.

In fact, well done EVERYONE who turned up and made it a cracking few days to remember.

Roll on the next one!

Bog-snorkelling field tester, Lindholme 2010

(Free-fall dyke-diving tuition available, prices on application.)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

North Yorkshire

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  9:05:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add n/a to your friends list
Arrived mid afternoon on the Wednesday, plenty of lines in the deeper water section of the lake so I opted for a spot on the edge of the island next to breamie on my left, Set up a couple of carp rods on the edge of the island, but as previously mentioned, they weren't having it!
A great number of carp were spotted in the far left margin of the lake all shoaled up tight to the shallow margin, probably spawning or getting ready too!

Packed the carp rods away when Jessebobs turned up looking for a peg, and switched to the waggler and a feeder approach while Steve set up to my right.

Breamie had a mishap with his pole when Mena his chocco lab walked straight through smashing sections 9 & 10 (ouch) shortly after he baited his swim with a tennis size ball of gb, shortly followed in to the lake by the dog!
Jessebobs got up to his mischievous self by swapping his soaking seat box top with Breamie Dave's gel seat!
Despite the weather and the fishing not so good we had a good time, plenty of coffee break and discussions about the 'Hokey Cokey'.
Here's some piccies.

Maggotville

Mick in the 'Drowners Arms'

Mr V making full use of the mains supply!

Jesse 'Dogging'

One too many?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.39 seconds.