The Maggotdrowners Forum - Winter Skimmers
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Winter Skimmers
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MartynRedfern to your friends list
Quick question,

I am fishing a venue at the weekend, a small lake around 7ft to 12ft deep. It is prodominently filled with skimmers around the 1 lb mark with odd carp. It has not been fished for around 7 weeks and the ice is just about clearing (the last of it will be broken up by a rowing boat on Friday). Now the question:

As this is a match I want to go with a plan. Therefore I propose to just go for it, and put a ball of groundbait in on one line say 13m-14.5m with pinkies and casters angled to the right. Then angled to the left put a small thumb size ball of micropellets. thus fishing positively and negatively.

In years gone by matches are usually won in the winter with anything from 20lb to 30lb.

Does anybody think the gourndbait may be too positive?

ps, rigs will be pencil flat, wire stem around 0.4 to 0.5 depending on conditions, 0.10 mainline to 0.08 bottoms, size 20 silver pellet for soft pellets and likely the same hook for the pinkie and caster to be fair.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

billy the blank
Life Member

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  1:26:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billy the blank to your friends list
I dont fish venues with that much depth but there is a local lake that is upto 7 foot deep and the way I like to approach it at this time of year is to have a negative rig set up and if you cant find fish on your positive line just use a rig that you can read the shot on the float as they settle. Trickle a couple of maggots in and watch for signs. I rarely catch on the bottom when this works and on a venue that deep I doubt i would have sucess on the deck due to the cold water, so for me this would be a rig I would at least have set up. This is a good rig to start with before any bait is fed in any quantity just to get a feel of how the fish are moving/feeding.

Go to Top of Page

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  1:31:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list
Thanks Billy, I had not thought of fishing on the drop or shallower. My mind appears warped on winter on the deck and shallow in the summer. You make a good point on the colder water being on the deck. I have not yet made the rigs up, however will definately now take that on board.

Go to Top of Page

chappo
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  2:59:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chappo to your friends list
Hi Martyn - is bloodworm and joker allowed ? It isn't that hard to fish if you haven't used it before and will always winkle out the old skimbos! if you haven't fished it before you'll need a steady hand and 24s or smaller.

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
From experience I'd fish small balls of fishmeal regularly with micros and pinkies. Fish pinkie on the hook. if skimmers resond well, change to a bigger hook and fish 4mm expander. Sometimes you might wait an hour for a bite. You can often see sport then get better and better, especially as the light fades. Dont be surprised if you start getting bites on the drop, especially from roach, rogue carp and even tench.

Edited by - matchstickman25 on 10 January 2011 3:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Jessebobs
Steve!

Bristol
Mauritius

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  5:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Jessebobs an AOL message  Click to see Jessebobs's MSN Messenger address  Send Jessebobs a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Jessebobs to your friends list
A safe bet for skimmers is to feed small nuggets of wetted micros and fish maggot or soft pellet over it.

Go to Top of Page

neil parker
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  6:01:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neil parker to your friends list
hi, steve ringer has done a feature in this months pole fishing mag that might interest you

Go to Top of Page

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 January 2011 :  9:02:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list
Chaps, thanks for the help. Chappo I did think about Bloodworm and joker as not fished it for years but not so easy to get hold of in Ipswich. You have all given me some food for thought, will also pick up pole fishing mag.

Go to Top of Page

chappo
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire

Posted - 11 January 2011 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chappo to your friends list
Thinking about it Martyn I bet there has been no pools free enough to scrape it from so (if its difficult to get near you) it would make it almost impossible.Pinkies and squatts mate in a tiny bit of darkish slop and a micro pellet/mag line. Over the shelf if there is one.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2011 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list
Cheers chappo

Go to Top of Page

diviy
Life Member

West Glamorgan

Posted - 11 January 2011 :  8:02:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add diviy to your friends list
I went out sunday and the chap fishing with me gave me loads of advice
I would fish one line with micro pellets as a feed put a golf size in leave line for a hour then a nats dick of micros and use pellet at dead depth had 11lb of skimmers and roach from that line in the end feed to the bites in the end I was using 6mm expanders on the hook happy days
considering its the first time I fished pellet like that I was well happy he had 25lb fishing the same way.

Edited by - diviy on 11 January 2011 8:04:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

poyd
Life Member

Essex
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 January 2011 :  8:53:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poyd to your friends list
Squatt in groundbait with leam - pinkie on hook (22 mustad wg match) - 4 elastic with .07 hooklength for me

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.19 seconds.