The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole Float Shotting
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole Float Shotting
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darren69

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  6:02:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Darren69 to your friends list
Are you supposed to used small shots for pole floats?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Tom Hiorns

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  6:29:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Hiorns to your friends list
Hi.I would say the answer would be yes but depends on the size of float,for all my float rigs I only use Stotz,
With floats over say 0.75 gram I use an olivette + small stotz.
I changed to stotz because they go on the line easier and don't "ping" off the line as round shot tend to do.
Hope this helps.

Tom.

Go to Top of Page

Donfish
'Wot's geet Wilf?

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  6:35:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Donfish to your friends list
Because pole rigs don't need weight for casting,small shots are the norm.It's all about delicacy of presentation.Most pole anglers prefer Stotz,these can easily be slid up and down the line to form a small bulk ,or a strung out pattern for a slower sinking bait.If fishing flowing water,then using bigger than normal shot can be useful.

Go to Top of Page

Darren69

Nottinghamshire

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darren69 to your friends list
Awsome thank's for that, i'll have to order some stotz :)

Go to Top of Page

Yuccaman

Site Supporter

Nottinghamshire
England

Tired (probably)

My Photo Album

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  7:21:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yuccaman to your friends list
Another vote for Stotz! I changed over to them about 18 months ago and haven't looked back!!!

Fish in 2014: Bream, Chub, Dace, Grayling, Gudgeon, Ide, Minnow, Perch, Pike, Roach, 3 Spined Stickleback, Tench, Brown Trout.Target 21, Current 13
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mattyts
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  7:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mattyts's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mattyts to your friends list
I also favour preston stotz

Go to Top of Page

bigp27
Big Pete

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 August 2010 :  11:58:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigp27 to your friends list
Stotz everytime, even a blind old fart like me can put the smaller ones on without any bother.

Wake up and smile, another day breathing has to be a good day.
Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 20 August 2010 :  06:40:35 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
Canal rigs - strung out No.9/10/11 Stotz on 0.2g (4X14) floats. Olivettes on the 0.5/0.75 g floats. My floats are three sizes, either 0.2g or 0.5 and 0.75. I don't see the point of mucking around with lots of sizes.

Use No. 11 or 13 Stotz to fine tune. The No.13 Stotz are easier than shot to use and hence I can get a super degree of sensitivity easily.

Carp rigs. Two No.6 shot as bulk on my 0.2g floats, olivettes on the 0.5 and 0.75. Again I have only three sizes of float for carp.

The 0.2g rigs are used in depths up to 4 ft, the 0.5 and above in deeper swims or if I am bagging in a 3-4ft margin to get the bait down quickly.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

Edited by - Neil ofthe nene on 20 August 2010 06:49:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

leeman
Life Member

Posted - 30 August 2010 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leeman to your friends list
i personally use sensas styles on all of my canal rigs, basically enlongated stotz. they give a very slow fall of the bait and when squatt fishing this can be great, i also have a ollivete rig set up for when the fish are really having it on the bottom.

for carp i either use no 10 + 8 shots, or small ollivettes.

on the river use an ollivette and a few small shots for droppers.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Hatman
Drawbag ace

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

I hate rain

Posted - 30 August 2010 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hatman to your friends list
Stotz with half styles, for when you absolutely must reduce the float tip to the tiniest visible dot (e.g. winter roach fishing). Like Tom I use Olivettes for the rare occasions that I use a 0.75 or above capacity float (not often since I usually fish commercials).

Cypry Diem
Wots that all about then?
http://www.middytackle.com Blog offline owing to the hosts closing
Go to Top of Page

getfishing
Pete

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 30 August 2010 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit getfishing's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add getfishing to your friends list
stotz, don't pole fish but I use them on the waggler to get a slowwer drop than regular no 8 and bigger. Stotz are so easy to get on the line and even easier with a stotta

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.96 seconds.