The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole elastic lubrication query
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole elastic lubrication query
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blakey_oafc

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 August 2010 :  7:10:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blakey_oafc to your friends list
Hi All.

I changed my pole to a new Daiwa a couple of weeks back. When I was in the shop I asked for some elastic lube for it.... but the guy in the tackle shop said i don't need to lubricate a modern pole. (Is this correct???)

Anyway fished with it twice and it's great.

Now then - to the problem. Tonight when I took the pole out to make some new rigs i noticed if i pull the elastic out it shudders/stutters and when i let go it shoots back in apart from about 4 inches which dangle out of the tip.

What should i do? It's obviously a friction problem?

And is washing my pole in hot water the cause of this after getting home on sunday?

Best Wishes

Paul

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

adzinderbyshire
Life Member

Posted - 11 August 2010 :  8:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit adzinderbyshire's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add adzinderbyshire to your friends list
he is right, you don't need lube! I'd make sure your kits are cut back plenty and use maver wet wall aligners, they really do make a difference if you like your elastics to creep back to the tip.

Go to Top of Page

floatfisher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 11 August 2010 :  11:25:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floatfisher to your friends list
Get some Prestons Slip silicone lubricant and put a few drops on the laccy and your problem should be solved.

Proud to be a grandad!
Go to Top of Page

SteveH
Lindholme Refugee

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

maggotdrownwer, one of the few

Posted - 11 August 2010 :  11:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see SteveH's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add SteveH to your friends list
A cheaper alternative to lubricating pole elastics is to pull the elastic out via the stonfo then dip the tip of the pole into the lake, allow the elstic back into the pole, job done! Easy to repeat without really interrupting your fishing too. I used to use lubricants like slippery eel etc, but don't bother now.

I'm a self made man ........ wish I was better at D.I.Y. I took a vow of poverty, p**s me off and send me a cheque!
Go to Top of Page

Nana
Life Member

Site Supporter

Saint Lucia

Mental Case

Posted - 11 August 2010 :  11:53:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nana to your friends list
There is probably some water inside your pole thats making the Laggy stick, or like another poster said cut back your tips a bit more. On the other hand it may be the type of laggy you are using. I have a Sensas Pole but cant get the Sensas Laggy to work properly, juddering after two or three outings.

Changed back to Vespe and Preston original 5 and 6 slip doubled up works like a treat, Middy 6 to 8 also works good.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pauln
Rasta

Site Supporter

Teesside
United Kingdom

Lost

Posted - 12 August 2010 :  12:15:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pauln to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by SteveH

A cheaper alternative to lubricating pole elastics is to pull the elastic out via the stonfo then dip the tip of the pole into the lake, allow the elstic back into the pole, job done! Easy to repeat without really interrupting your fishing too. I used to use lubricants like slippery eel etc, but don't bother now.

As above (used to use 1/2 conditioner 1/2 water as well)

PaulN

Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 August 2010 :  07:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
You will find that when fitting the elastic it seems perfect then after a while fishing you get the dangly problem. Two causes for this. First the elastic will have stretched and not retracted fully while playing fish. The other is that the bung will have crept up the pole slightly. The solution is to fully stretch the elastic after threading through but before finishing off. Now all you need do is cut the elasctic back a further few inches or retrieve the bung and wind a couple of turns on.

I don't bother with lubricant now as the water normally does the trick.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

hempy
Alan

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 12 August 2010 :  07:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hempy's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hempy to your friends list
Hi Blakey oafc and welcomew to the best angling site on the web

Retraction of the elastic as already stated is probably due to not prestretching it before fitting it or the bush used is too small for the diameter of the elastic. The shudders and stutters you refer to is definatley a friction problem that we all have but some will not have recognised it because they think that if the elastic retracts it is alright. The best and cheapest way to overcome this is to use a hair conditioner solution, one good squirt at the start of the session will suffice. A 65p bottle from wilkos will make upto 3 pints when diluted with water and to prove its worth try this. Take any "dry top kit and pull the elastic to feel how smooth it runs, then give it a good squirt with the solution and try it again, you will be amazed at the difference.

Edited by - hempy on 12 August 2010 07:40:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.03 seconds.