The Maggotdrowners Forum - Simple light ledgering rigs on match rod?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Simple light ledgering rigs on match rod?
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add perchlover to your friends list
Is it possible? Basically, looking for a rig that would work for bream, roach, tench and perch. Something that is very easy to set up and gives a good indication of bites. Is it possible to use some sort of alarm or swinging indicator? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

gibby
Life Member

Site Supporter

Kent

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:09:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gibby to your friends list
I like to take the minimum of gear and try to get away with taking just one rod, and yes, it is possible to ledger with a match rod, so long as you are using a very light lead, and the rod is fairly robust (i.e. not one of the ultra light spliced tip ones used for trotting). I use either small bullets or bombs, or a link ledger made up with two or three SSG shot

On still waters, a butt indicator, or a bog standard bobbin are fine. On the rivers just keep a tight line and watch the rod top.

Don't forget touch ledgering either. Just keep a tght line, point the rod at the water and feel for bites with teh tip of your forefinger.

Gibby
Go to Top of Page

Lee B.
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee B.'s Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lee B. to your friends list
Get a sindwinder, a clip on tip that fastens on near the butt and is not effected by windy conditions.

Go to Top of Page

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:12:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
gibby, thanks so much for this info. Is there anywhere you know where I can see examples of this set up, I especially like the idea of a butt indicator a bobbin. Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Lee B.
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee B.'s Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lee B. to your friends list
sorry sidewinder!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:14:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
Cheers for the replies already. Sorry I am newbie so this may take some explaing to me. Diagrams are much appreciated. Lee B is there anywhere where I can see this sidewinder. cheers

Go to Top of Page

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
Can I also ask what would make a good bobbin or what is a good one to buy.

Go to Top of Page

crusty
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  2:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see crusty's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add crusty to your friends list
You can use loads of different things for bobbins, the old style washing up bottle tops are my favourite but you can't get them anymore (and I'm not parting with mine) Mould a piece of bread into dough and fold over the line between the eyes, or a folded piece of card, bent stick/grass, push a bit of wire into a cork and hook it on the line etc.

Ian

Go to Top of Page

arkon

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arkon to your friends list
basicly anything that will hold the line down with a little weight, and indicate the bite... I just use a bit of stick with a bend on it that will attach to the line... No cost

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  3:25:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
Cheers again. Now what b e the simplest ledger/feeder rig for this fishing and links to diagrams would be great. cheers

Go to Top of Page

Donfish
'Wot's geet Wilf?

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Donfish to your friends list
A simple Link Leger-fold a piece of line,a couple of inches long,over your main line and squeeze on 2 or 3 large shot.Tie a loop on the end of your main line to attatch your hook length.Use a leger stop above this loop (or another shot)to act as a stop.
A simple old fashioned method that is still as effective today as it ever was.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  4:51:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
Cheers. I like the look of the running link ledger. Would that be ok. Also, how do Iattach and use a sidewinder.

Go to Top of Page

big cheese
Rob Nudd

East Yorkshire

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  4:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit big cheese's Homepage  Click to see big cheese's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add big cheese to your friends list
this might help you a bit

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

breadflake
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  5:07:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add breadflake to your friends list
sidewinder

http://www.ultrafloats.co.uk/prodde...hp?prod=3075

Go to Top of Page

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
Bloody hell, you lot are good. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

perchlover
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 July 2010 :  5:21:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perchlover to your friends list
I also like the look of the rig where there is a shot that is cushioned by a rubber ball and has a swivel tied to it. That one looks simple but is it effective?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.03 seconds.