The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole floats - body up/body down?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole floats - body up/body down?
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this topic Add TheHat to your friends list
If you are fishing in a wind and there is a lot of 'tow', what should it be - body up. or body down. I've read conflicting advice on this.

With the water moving across the surface I would have thought a body down with a slim tip would catch less of the water movement. On the other hand, with body up I have read the buoyancy helps to hold the float against this water movement.

Confused of North Kent...

Going fishing doesn't make you a fisherman - any more than standing in a garage makes you a car...

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

spursmoose
'nutcharmer'

Essex

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  5:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit spursmoose's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add spursmoose to your friends list
Hi try the lollypop float it's a good way to beat tow. Most people use them on rivers to hold back on the pole.

marky moose.

Its not the angle of your dangle.
Its the way you wiggle your worm.

Go to Top of Page

young blood
Life Member

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  6:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit young blood's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add young blood to your friends list
lollipops on lakes? Try fishing a float with a wire stem this will help combat the skim and tow. If it is a lake or canal your fishing try a diamond or pear shaped body down float. If the tow is really bad just up the size of float your using for example insted of a 4x14 use a 4x16 or 4x18 to get proper presentation.

Go to Top of Page

ianthefish2000
Life Member

Midlands West
England

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  7:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ianthefish2000's Homepage  Send ianthefish2000 a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add ianthefish2000 to your friends list
Hi tophat as a general rule of thumb, its pear down on still waters and pear up on rivers. but its is what you feel confident with. i agree with young blood that a wire stemmed pole float will combat both wind and tow also use heavier floats than you normally would and bulk the shot nearer to the hook ie 18 inches above the hook.
there is nothing saying do not use a lollipop in these conditions so try it you have nothing to loose.

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day. Give him the knowledge to fish and it will feed him for a lifetime
Ian(the fish)Boden

Go to Top of Page

Enda
Hulk

Offaly
Ireland

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  9:06:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enda to your friends list
The best float I have ever used for conditions like you have described is a Sensas Desque pattern called the Dirk.
Basically it has a long carbon stem, a roundish body and a long fibre tip.
The stem on say a 1grm float is about 8" long, I have found that long stemmed floats sit better, the tip is abot 3" long and you shot this down to say 1", the roundish body can be held in the tow very easily.
Only problem is that sensas have discontinued the pattern, the reason I reckon is that it was a float designed for Willebrooke in Belgium and the World Champs are there this year and the last time a major match was held there the french won.
There are other patterns that they also sell that have the extra long stems, these are the ones to go for to combat the tow.
I bought a few boxes of the Dirks two years ago and was impressed with them as were a few of my team mates and they bought a supply of them as well.

You will be looking at fishing an olivette of bulk of shot with them and fish a float bigger than you would in calmer conditions.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Liam K

Lancashire
England

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  10:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Liam K's Homepage  Click to see Liam K's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Liam K to your friends list
Hi, its always best to use a body down pole float on stillwaters as they are more sensitive, when theres a bad serface skim and tow just increase the size and weight of float and lay your rig over depth.

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  10:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
i would go for a longer pattern of float like a dernnan lake or similar with a body down pear shape, and something not too small 0.80g+ you will know when it is the right size as the float will hold steady in the wind. If in doubt i would go on the heavy side.

Also i would not fish too short a line between the float and pole tip, at least 2 1/2 - 3 ft as this will help absorb the movement of the pole in the wind.

You can also bury the tip of the pole in the water but this would be a last resort as i am never that confident doing this and feel it spooks the fish.

Another thing you can try to hold the float steady is to use a small back shot. Again this is something i don't really do but some guys i know use this method.

And if the wind get too bad get the feeder or big waggler out and stop fighting the pole in the wind!!! LOL

hope this gives you some ideas to experement with

Born to Fish
Forced to Work

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Rolfs Lake 200+ Club Member.

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  10:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
Have to agree with Nick,
The Drennan Lake is a favorite of mine,nice versatile float.
Cane Tip with a nice lone carbon stem.

And when it comes to using a backshot,don't be scared of using a large one.

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

norm

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

i am sh1t but have some cracking gear

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  11:33:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list
quote:
And when it comes to using a backshot,don't be scared of using a large one

peter
would a 6oz gripper lead be a bit too much???????????

click this link now you lot and leave a message in the guest book lol (please)
Birtley Hilda Park FC

don't take life to serious, have a bloody laugh
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Rolfs Lake 200+ Club Member.

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
Just a tad Norm,unless your name's "Toma"

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

norm

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

i am sh1t but have some cracking gear

Posted - 15 January 2004 :  11:44:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list
lol

don't take life to serious, have a bloody laugh
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

mattiste
Life Member

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  01:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mattiste's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add mattiste to your friends list
i agree the "drennan lake is a good float but hook anythin over 3lb and u usually find that the only part of the float left attached to the line is the stem. Oh and maybe the eye (somewhere by your hook).

They were made to snap!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Enda
Hulk

Offaly
Ireland

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  01:26:41 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enda to your friends list
I would be cautious about putting a pole tip in the water.
I have done it a few times and payed the price, water gets into your tip section, you get a bite, you strike and then crack, there goes your tip section.
You can see some floats here that are suitable, the Blizzard looks the part
http://www.trabucco.it/floats.php?l...knum=0&cat=0
If the one called the Chibli had a carbon stem it would be perfect as it is very similar to the Dirks I mentioned above.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

lodge1
Life Member

Site Supporter

New Zealand

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  03:31:05 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lodge1 to your friends list
I like to use a pole float that is waggler style on skim.That is I whip a small wire loop on the bottom of the float and attach that way.This means your line is under without a back shot[which causes missed hookups due to funny line angles]and you have a direct connection to your hook.The float can 'fold'no matter how heavy with a stop shot each side of the loop.Look at overshotting if the tow is strong as this will lift the rig slightly.

Go to Top of Page

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list
Lots of good replies here folks - thanks!

I'm trying to get at what is actually happening here. If you have (say) a 0.5 gr float shotted right down and a 1.5 gr float shotted right down, surely it takes the same amount of 'pull' to sink it. If both are shotted so that a No.12 shot (say) sinks the tip the bouyancy is the same. So why should a heavier float 'hold' better than a lighter one?

I can see that a very thin bristle (the bit at the top - I get confused between the bristle and the stem) offers less resistance than a thick one.

Going fishing doesn't make you a fisherman - any more than standing in a garage makes you a car...

Go to Top of Page

MrC
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  10:09:39 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrC to your friends list
quote:
Originally posted by peter

Have to agree with Nick,
The Drennan Lake is a favorite of mine,nice versatile float.
Cane Tip with a nice lone carbon stem.

And when it comes to using a backshot,don't be scared of using a large one.

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

I agree this float is great. and i use 1gram-1.5gram for around 6ft of water.

Go to Top of Page

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  10:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list
There's another question that comes to mind here.

What 'rule of thumb' do Maggotdrowners use when selecting a pole float according to the depth of water they are fishing. I use 0.1 gr. for every foot of water i.e. for 6ft. of water this would demand a 0.6 gr. float.

I think others may use a different 'rule' however.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bable Fish
Numpty Dumpty

Devon
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bable Fish's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Bable Fish to your friends list
Have to agree with Young Blood that a wire stem is way as it offers greater stability, although some carbon stem patterns such as the lake (pictured above) also give creditable performance. The other thing is take what Peter says to heart as you can get away with some big back shot (even up to SSG). If you place a large shot approx 1 -1 1/2 ft down the line from your pole tip you can lower it into the water and the shot will hold the line between it and the float both tight and beneath the surface tow (also beats the wind shake of the pole tip affecting the float) but you may have to adapt the strike slightly to compensate for this oddity!!!

<{{{><

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  10:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
i don't think you can stick to any rules when selecting a float i probably go on the heavy side to most people. in 6ft of water in the wind i would probably got for a 0.80-1g for starters, you will know when you have got it right.

if i was fishing on the drop in the wind i would use a small peacock waggler type float fished bottom only. i make these myself.

Born to Fish
Forced to Work

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

peter9000uk
Life Member

Surrey
England

Posted - 16 January 2004 :  11:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter9000uk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add peter9000uk to your friends list
I use similar floats to those described by Enda, I have a couple that are about 8 - 10 inches long! The tip being about 4 inches. I think they are made by Colmic. Don't take too much notice of brands or models just use/buy one that I believe will do the job I want

BTW Drennan Tipos might be worth a look for Hartleylands HAT

pete

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 2.33 seconds.