The Maggotdrowners Forum - John Wilson Travel Avon / Quiver Rod - which one?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 John Wilson Travel Avon / Quiver Rod - which one?
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

koks

Middlesex

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add koks to your friends list
I am after travel Avon / Quiver Rod - at the moment on the market are only John Wilson rods. But the problem is I have seen in internet 2 different : John Wilson masterline signature travel avon quiver rod and John wilson masterline rovex travel avon quiver rod. Which one is better and higher end rod? Are they any good in the first place?
I also notice that there is travel barbel j.wilson rod - is it good rod?
thanks

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  11:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
Ive got one of them but not sure which! The one I have is the Masterline John Wilson Avon Quiver Travel AQ110T. Is in a green hard case.

I found the rod very good, light well balanced, as good as a 2-3 piece rod and far better than the telescopic travel rods around. Was perfect for float fishing and using a light bomb in the Med. It fits inside a big suitcase too.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

Dogsbody
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  4:09:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dogsbody to your friends list
I have the Rovex John Wilson Avon Quiver, AQ110T it comes in a green hard case it is a 5 piece 11ft rod, with 1 avo top and 3 push in glass quiver tips. The line rating is 3-8lb, I actually find it better than the old masterline 2 piece with the 2ft dolly section to take it to 13ft. This one seems to have more power in the mid section, probably due to having to be reinforced at more joints.

Go to Top of Page

Jim H
Life Member

Gt. London
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim H to your friends list
I have the Masterline one, it comes with a 1.25lb avon tip and the three quiver tips are 1.5oz, 2oz and 2.5oz respectively. Given that it's a 5 piece rod, it's really quite good... there are better 2 or 3 section rods, but I think that for a one-rod-does-it-all travel rod, it's hard to beat. I'm sure that the Rovex is pretty much the same - as I understand it Rovex is merely an update of the branding.

In fact I have a 3 foot long rod bag with three travel rods: the JW Avon/quiver, a 13ft Shakespeare Mach 1 travel match rod, and a 5 piece 12ft JW Young Travel Barbel rod, which has a 1.75lb T/C tip and a 3oz quiver tip (feels stronger than 3oz to me). Combined with extendable bank sticks, a folding landing net and travel landing net handle, I can fish most situations with this portable kit, which is great. Which leads me on to my second point - if you're looking for something beefier, I'd go for the JW Young travel barbel rod rather than the John Wilson travel barbel... they are both Rovex now, and I think share some of the same components, but the JW Young version is likely better and can be obtained on ebay brand new for under 50.

Go to Top of Page

koks

Middlesex

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koks to your friends list
Thank you for all answers - so if im getting correct j.willson rovex avon travel rod is new/upgraded version of masterline signature avon travel rod . is that correct? is rovex better than masterline singature?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dogsbody
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire

Posted - 11 March 2010 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dogsbody to your friends list
Hi Koks,

Based on Nick Gilberts and my previous posts on this thread, I woud hazard a good guess that they are identical rods regardless of the brand name (Masterline/Rovex)as they both have the same manufacturers code AQ110T

Go to Top of Page

nobby478
miserable old ....

Surrey
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 March 2010 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nobby478 to your friends list
As a slight aside The Avon /Quiver no longer has the extension to take it to 13 foot now. This is the 3 piece rod, not the five. Hopefully the reel mountings don't break anymore ????

Go to Top of Page

koks

Middlesex

Posted - 16 March 2010 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koks to your friends list
Just order via internet wilson travel avon /quiver rod - will check what a beast is this. Let you know about my thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

koks

Middlesex

Posted - 17 March 2010 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koks to your friends list
which one in your opinion is better rod : j wilson barbel avon / quiver travel rod or young barbel travel rod? and why?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

koks

Middlesex

Posted - 18 March 2010 :  8:35:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koks to your friends list
Just got young travel barbel rod. We will so what sort of beast is this rod.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.5 seconds.