The Maggotdrowners Forum - G8 Varnish
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 G8 Varnish
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sackup to your friends list
Does anyone know where i can get g8 varnish in the uk in small volume? Or if anyone has any to sell wouldbe graet.

Edited by - sackup on 11 November 2009 12:41:57 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

andy65

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  3:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit andy65's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy65 to your friends list
Out of interest why g8 super? Did you come to the conclusion yourslef?

I couldnt see anything in the uk but these will post for 13 euros to.... making a litre about 55 euros!
http://www.svb.de/paint+maintenance....html?lang=1

Its also on GERMAN ebay! Pay with paypal and ur always safe! Post is 15 euros 50.......... type this word in VOSSCHEMIE and it comes up!! several options!

Edited by - andy65 on 11 November 2009 3:24:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Cheers mate no i read a post about it this morning on ta, i make my own floats but have had trouble with the line cutting into the float bodys i was going to use rustins yacht varnish but ive heard the g8 stuff is like rock when it dries.Any other opinians would be great if any one knows of another varnish that is strong.

Go to Top of Page

Thymallus
Ant

Shropshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  4:26:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thymallus to your friends list
Rustins plastic coating is the biz, its a resin which you add a hardner to like epoxy but it's clear & waterproof.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-...ng-23018.htm

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Sounds like good stuff anyone else used this?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

andy65

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit andy65's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy65 to your friends list
i make my own also ! Only not much carp so dont really have that problem !
I have read the same sort of thing about g8 super as well ,but the people that i know who use it wont have that much experience with carp floats as there isnt much call for them!

I use one from CLOU as i can get it easy and in 750ml tins its good doesnt fade and holds water out even after days submerged . Its quit flexable so wouldnt like to say as to how it fares with carp .
The carp floats i have made all have a car varnish on them ,two pack type! That stands up to pressure.

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  5:01:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Hi andy thanx for the info mate ill have a look at that, ill be ok on my winter floats but thinking ahead for the summer.Do you dip or brush it on andy? Thanx again mate

Go to Top of Page

andy65

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  5:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit andy65's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy65 to your friends list
at the moment brush.just been doing some big wagglers they come out nice and even... if i was to make quantaties of the same i think i would dip....Just started putting colour on some and i do dip them as well as brush ....

Go to Top of Page

gazmalman
malmanfloats.com

Durham
Heard Island & Mcdonald Islands

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  8:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit gazmalman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add gazmalman to your friends list
I've played with it, its nice varnish but it will not stop the line cutting much, you'll have to put 5 coats or so to make any kind of difference. If you want to stop the line cutting in you need to go inline or use very hard balsa, but that can make turning and more so drilling a nightmare.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  9:01:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by gazmalman

I've played with it, its nice varnish but it will not stop the line cutting much, you'll have to put 5 coats or so to make any kind of difference. If you want to stop the line cutting in you need to go inline or use very hard balsa, but that can make turning and more so drilling a nightmare.

Ouch,thanx for info gaz do you have any other tips to make a stronger finish as i thought the g8 would solve the problem,have you got any comments on yacht varnish or am i best just going down the double eye route or gluing a piece of silicone on the side.

Go to Top of Page

andy65

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  05:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit andy65's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy65 to your friends list
Jsut got this link from Maggot drowners! http://www.float-store.co.uk/shop/p...?shop_param=

He puts two eyes on to stop the cutting in problem you spoke of!!

http://www.float-store.co.uk/.media...24494870.png

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Seilat`
Always learning...

South Yorkshire

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  08:28:46 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seilat` to your friends list
u may laugh at this suggestion, but a mate of mine swears by this stuff :-

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/purity...-p-3376.html

Think due to it being a spray its easier to build up layers/coats of the stuff,

He only uses it for pike floats tho,

Edited by - Seilat` on 12 November 2009 08:34:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by Seilat`

u may laugh at this suggestion, but a mate of mine swears by this stuff :-

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/purity...-p-3376.html

Think due to it being a spray its easier to build up layers/coats of the stuff,

He only uses it for pike floats tho,

Not at all mate im after as many ideas as possible, it sound good but may be a bit tricky to spray the body without getting in all over the tip and stem.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ronald

Netherlands

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ronald to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by gazmalman

Malman's right!
The thoughest varnish will be of no use if the core or layers of dope underneath the varnish is soft.
It may sound rather silly but;
In fact creating floats is like creating an egg. The core is rather soft so you can shape it with ease. The shell we want as hard as possible to prevent damage. (dents, line cuts)
Using a proper layer underneath the varnish helps a lot. Some floatmakers use superglue. This, as you know, becomes very hard but also smells like ***

G8 is the hardest varnish I have ever used. Normaly this varnish is mixed with gravel or fine sand and put on stairways (in shops) to prevent customers from slipping/gliding.
It's very hard to remove once you put it (by accident) on a stem.

Go to Top of Page

Seilat`
Always learning...

South Yorkshire

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seilat` to your friends list
quote :
not at all mate im after as many ideas as possible, it sound good but may be a bit tricky to spray the body without getting in all over the tip and stem.

could you mask off the areas you dont want to hit ?
I must admit to never having made floats myself so dont know whats involved...

good luck tho matey, hope you find a suitable solution

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:04:01 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Hi ronalt i think it was your post on TA i read about the g8. When you say dope is that sanding sealer? can you suggest a good dope maybe this is my problem then? i use jp sanding sealer which is from a model shop.

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
cheers Seilat` thanks for your input mate.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
What about this stuff will this be better than just a sealer it sound like it hardens and seals also? not sure about the shrinking and non shrinking though.

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
What about this stuff http://balsamart.co.uk/store/index....ucts_id=1486
will this be better than just a sealer it sound like it hardens and seals also? not sure about the shrinking and non shrinking though.
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

Ronald

Netherlands

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ronald to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by avanti

Hi ronalt i think it was your post on TA i read about the g8. When you say dope is that sanding sealer? can you suggest a good dope maybe this is my problem then? i use jp sanding sealer which is from a model shop.

Correct! When I wrote "dope" as 'cellulose dope' I ment a sanding sealer. I'm sorry to have no knowledge about a JP sanding sealer.
At this moment I'm using the Dutch "Tweecolux" from IJssel Coatings. Before that I was using an industrial furniture varnish called; Sayerlack.
Most important is that the sanding sealer you use is drying/hardening quick/fast so it doesn't go too far inside the balsa material. (This would mean the floatbody becomes heavy with the sanding sealer and this will lead to a loss of shot capacity.)
Also it's important that the sanding sealer is compatible with the varnish you use.

Both the Sayerlack and the G8 were originally used by my Belgian floatmaking mate; Ludo Rosseel. For balsa floats I haven't encountered better coatings yet.
Nowadays most of my float bodies are made of synthetic material so the Tweecolux is working alright for me. (Tweecolux is easier to obtain in Holland)

Go to Top of Page

sackup
BROWNING

United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2009 :  10:47:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sackup to your friends list
Thank you all for your comments guys.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.96 seconds.