The Maggotdrowners Forum - Which pole?
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 Which pole?
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  9:00:15 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lovetofish to your friends list
I'm looking at buying a new pole after returning to fishing after an 8yr break, my current pole is an old 12.5m Daiwa Harrier Z which is fishable at 11m but is over the hill at 12.5m so needs to go.

I'm considering the following:

Maver Powerlite 14.5m - i can get for 299. Feels good at 13m but not sure if it will be fishable for any length of time at 14.5m, good price though!

Maver 171 14.5m - i can get for 450 - not tested one of these so no idea how it will compare to the Powerlite.

One of MAPS offerings TKS30? Again not tested one.

Might be able to get my hands on a TKS40 for 500 but thats the top of my budget and not sure i need 16m. Again not sure how it would compare to the above.

It will be for all round use, prob max elastic i'll put in will be a 16, just general pleasure fishing mainly on the commercials at the moment.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

hellsbells
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hellsbells's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hellsbells to your friends list
Have a look in the classifieds or on ebay mate, for your 500 budget you will get a much better pole thats only 6-12mths old with plenty of top kits, especially coming up to christmas.

Go to Top of Page

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  10:05:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lovetofish to your friends list
Ye i've been keeping one eye on ebay, some of this years Maver models are going cheap now, bit concerned about buying a used one that i've not seen in the flesh though.

Go to Top of Page

rotherhamrob

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 30 October 2009 :  5:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit rotherhamrob's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add rotherhamrob to your friends list
i traded my old map in for a maver pole and have to say i should have bought an upgrade from map as i don't really get on with the maver but i am stuck with it for a few years now. so my advice would be to go for a map but hold on for a while as they are fetching out their new tks range in the next few weeks and they look the buisness or you may be able to pick up one of the old ones for cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

badpegpicker
Proud to be a.....

Northamptonshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 30 October 2009 :  8:54:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add badpegpicker to your friends list
I have the TKS30,

Still very happy with it after a year now. Not let me down yet.
Have a read of this:

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum...PIC_ID=88548

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 30 October 2009 :  10:04:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lovetofish to your friends list
Think i'll have a look at TKS30 then, sounds like a definate option, i'm not too fussed for the latest models as they cost a fortune when first released.

I had a play with the 171 Maver today and was quite impressed, felt really nice. Went a bit at 14m though without the mini extension in - but still well fishable.

Need to find a store near me that has them all in so i can test back to back!

Go to Top of Page

jonesr
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 30 October 2009 :  10:22:50 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jonesr to your friends list
I have a TKS 20.14.5 metre about a year now,no problems as far as i'm concerned

Go to Top of Page

floatfisher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 30 October 2009 :  11:09:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floatfisher to your friends list
There's a dealer on e bay selling the TKS30 at the moment for 399 with free p&p.

Proud to be a grandad!
Go to Top of Page

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lovetofish to your friends list
I'd like to compare the TKS30 and Powerlite back to back, i can get a Powerlite for 299 on the internet which is very tempting. I had a quick chat with Maver about performance diferences between the Powerlite and 171 and apparently there isn't much, the 171 carrying the higher price tag due to teflon joints, son core finish etc etc...

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  8:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by lovetofish

I'd like to compare the TKS30 and Powerlite back to back, i can get a Powerlite for 299 on the internet which is very tempting. I had a quick chat with Maver about performance diferences between the Powerlite and 171 and apparently there isn't much, the 171 carrying the higher price tag due to teflon joints, son core finish etc etc...

the only was you will do this is quite simply by putting miles and mile's on your car's clock but it is worth it.

I cant speak for the new tks poles or the new maver's but i can say the TKS 30 is miles better than the maver 101 (in every way apart from the finsh) i would guess thats the pole that is the predcessor to the 171?

good luck and tight lines

Go to Top of Page

Elmer Fudd
Life Member

Site Supporter

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Official breakfast taster.

Posted - 07 November 2009 :  9:26:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Elmer Fudd to your friends list
Maver....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Eating Oysters....Just like sneezing only backwards
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

RichTaylor
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 November 2009 :  10:42:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RichTaylor to your friends list
Lets not get into another Maver discussion. But I agree........lol

Go to Top of Page

Cooky
Life Member

Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 November 2009 :  07:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Cooky a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Cooky to your friends list
Almost everytime you hear TKS from the bottom of the range to the top its all good praise

Thats what sold it to my when i went out and bought my first pole a TKS 10 not used it yet and only used a 7m middy rythm stikk so i cant really compare it to any other pole but the read ups were enough for me i will be out using it next week

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 09 November 2009 :  6:29:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lovetofish to your friends list
I'm still not decided on what to go for, seen that the new map tks 425 is available on ebay for 599 though i've not tested one of these, the angling times tested the tks 125 and said it was very rigid at full length (13m) which sounds promising.

I guess spending 600 without testing first maybe a bit silly though - i need the patience of a good fisherman and wait until they are about in the local shop!

Go to Top of Page

chubby chubber
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 10 November 2009 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit chubby chubber's Homepage  Send chubby chubber a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add chubby chubber to your friends list
give bob-co a ring in leeds they have a pole alley with most of the poles your looking at so you can have a wiggle with em end of the day what siuts someone else maynot be your cup of tea hope it helps

oih who"s knicked mi float!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 November 2009 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list
I had the same dilemma early in the year, I ended up with the 171, having used it for a season I have been very pleased with my choice. I know the Map TKS pole is also a good choice, a friend wanted a pole for around 300 so put him onto the TKS20 and he is made up with it.

One thing I would like to add is that on pretty much every thread on here to do with poles, somebody always wants to raise how much they hate Maver poles. It is not nessasary, from the sales figures it would appear that this opinion is from a minority. That is not to say fair comparason should not be made as this is exactly what this site is for, all I am saying is simple statements advising to stay away from Maver are not helpful and potentially misleading. Sorry whinge over.

Go to Top of Page

hellsbells
Life Member

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 November 2009 :  3:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hellsbells's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add hellsbells to your friends list
Have a look at this on www.total-fishing.com and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.total-fishing.com/forum....osts&t=24637

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

lovetofish

West Yorkshire

Posted - 10 November 2009 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lovetofish to your friends list
I had a wiggle with the new Maver 141 at 13m and a Maver powerlite at Bobco the other day, i was astonished by the fact that they both felt much the same, the powerlite a tad heavier but marginally, very marginally stiffer in my opinion. The 141 retailing at 599. Ok it has the sun core finish, teflon joints, clean caps, holdall etc which is what bumps the price up.

I ended up getting a powerlite for 275 from Poingdestres Angling Centre which i thought was very reasonable. I think it feels very nice at 13m and is fishable at 14.5m at which length i'll use rarely.

I think the powerlite is a no frills pole but is very much similar to the 141 and precursor - 171 in terms of performance (these were Mavers words too when i spoke to them)

Just need to decide what elastic to load it up with, i'm thinkin 12/20 Maver in the power tops for good all round commercial fishing? Either that or a solid 14 - 16 Middy, not sure at all...

Go to Top of Page

minnowmaster209
SPRO/Cralusso

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit minnowmaster209's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add minnowmaster209 to your friends list
Whats wrong with maver poles. I love my maver Medusa!
quote :
Originally posted by ole git

Maver....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Go to Top of Page

bb bone
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 11 November 2009 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bb bone's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bb bone to your friends list
the older range of maver poles were the very good and many people saw how good they were and bought one myself included(the old 16m genesis)these were great poles and I was more than happy with my purchase,friends of mine liked it so much the next year they all bought new maver poles and within a year had all sold them and bought different makes/models.Maver poles are great in the hand but let you down on the bank, breakages are a problem and the guys moaning about this fact are deluded as we all know if a breakage is down to miss use or a weak product, this coupled with the fact whatever maver you buy now WILL be replaced next year which will devalue your resale value.The map TKS and daiwa SR are great poles in this price bracket.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.54 seconds.